Idiots At The Gun Range

Idiots At The Gun Range

This is a discussion on Idiots At The Gun Range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; my wife and i went to our same old gun range sunday but went later in the day about noon i have nevers see so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiots At The Gun Range

Idiots At The Gun Range

my wife and i went to our same old gun range sunday but went later in the day about noon i have nevers see so many people that did not know what in the heck they were doing there were to many people t that had very little knowledge about the gun they were trying to shoot or about gun saftey from people loading there gun with it pointed at other people to idiots using a screw driver to pry 40 cal amo out of a 9mm and the best one was a dude that dropped something and rolled abut to the 5yards donw range and he started walking down range to get while people were shooting
    thank you
    dond
    xd 40 service
    glock 26
    ruger sp101 3''

VIP Member
    I see that kinda of stuff all the time, and worse. There was the time a guy walked into the range carrying his pistol in his hand, not cased or holstered. Yeah, it was loaded. And then there was the guy who loaded his pistol on the target bench and turned 180 degrees sweeping the whole line getting ready to shoot.

Ever notice all the bullet holes around? Ceiling, walls, floor, etc.

When I see more than a few folks at the range, I'll either leave, or wait till they are done. Its tough to practice and keep track of more than 1 or 2 other folks.
    Last edited by ctr; April 14th, 2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling

I always check out the walls, ceiling, etc. I can't stand those idiots!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    The only solution is to takle charge.
    Introduce yourself as the RSO, have a brief that includes everyone and then issue out commands as needed.

Do it well, communicate, and you should have no problems.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm hoping I won't have to worry about stuff like this anymore now that I belong to an exclusive club and members only ranges.

While it's unfortunate that new shooters are not getting adequate training prior to trying to shoot, I still find it refreshing how many new people are out at the range.
    I try not to get irritated by new shooters, if they are doing something unsafe, I will mention it to them or call over the RO. But we all started somewhere, and not everybody had the luxury of having their parents teach them when they were young.

If we make the inexperienced shooters feel unwelcome then they won't come back and will leave the range with a sour taste in their mouth...As it is, at least they are trying.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

morons at the range

the range i go to is fairly small so i haven"t had the misfortune of running
    into some moron trying to figure out what he is doing. scary thought of
    someone doing stupid things like(prying a .40 cal out of a 9mm).
    from what i just read,i thought it was dangerous out on the streets.
    i"m sure there"s all kinds of horror stories about people(morons)
    at the range.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

A common problem

I have also seen plenty of this behavior at public shooting ranges. Generally the offenders are about 20 years old with tattoos and a black tee shirt with a picture of a skull on it. I don't have any bullet holes in me yet, but feel that I am living on borrowed time.

One solution is to join a members only range that caters mainly to serious shooters. The other solution is to go to the public range on a weekday just as it opens, when not many people are there.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

This is one of the biggest reasons I don't like going to ranges. Many times I will have new, or at least newer shooters. Teaching safety is difficult at best in that environment.

Explaining why something is unsafe usually ruffles a few feathers too. I like to go to the desert and be off by ourselves. Tends to put the new shooters at ease and everyone is more comfortable.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Senior Moderator
    I go to public ranges early in the morning. I have found that the yahoo's usaully sleep late.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

While I am opposed to mandatory training to get a permit, I do feel that everyone should know the basics before they pick up their first firearm.

All children should have safety training and the older ones should have some shooting training. Older teens should be taught the laws.

If everyone received age-appropriate education as they grew up, the government would have less control of the permit process, our children would be safer, and the general public would have a more realistic understanding of guns.

I began training my daughter in gun safety when she was very young. Not only because I had firearms around the house, but because I had no control over what she could run into at a friend's home.

I'm not sure where firearms education should be taught. Mine came from the Boy Scouts and my father.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    While it's unfortunate that new shooters are not getting adequate training prior to trying to shoot, I still find it refreshing how many new people are out at the range.
    I try not to get irritated by new shooters, if they are doing something unsafe, I will mention it to them or call over the RO. But we all started somewhere, and not everybody had the luxury of having their parents teach them when they were young.

If we make the inexperienced shooters feel unwelcome then they won't come back and will leave the range with a sour taste in their mouth...As it is, at least they are trying.
    +1
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I go to public ranges early in the morning. I have found that the yahoo's usaully sleep late.
    Agreed.

I too see the exact same thing and the ROs comment to it as well.
    It seems like midday roughly Noon to 3P is the moron and walk-in newbie hour.
    Outside of that and things cool down being more normative.
    I purposefully try to go outside of the newbie hour.
    Further I try to get assigned a lane to either the far left or far right up against a wall. That way I only have to worry about one side of me and if to the far right there is a door to the next training lane (not open to public use) that I can slip through and get myself out of the way of danger.
    As well when reloading I will stand myself against the wall with mag in one hand and a handful of ammo in the other and scan those persons down the lane to see who is possibly a danger. I have on multiple occasions pointed said persons out to ROs and twice now deiced to immediately pack up and leave upon seeing yahoos and newbies on the line with unsafe practices.

It's great to see more shooters out, especially women at my range, but at the same time these people need to get some sort of formal basic training toward weapons handling. Same goes for some so called 'experienced' people as well who bring their clearly newbie friends in and 'show' them how to do stuff....invariably with high powered pistols such as .357 Mag or greater far beyond their current skill level. I hate seeing this the most. It happened this weekend some guy who looked to be 6'6" or so and had to weigh atleast 400lbs. goes to the line and fires off in quick succession at a target placed 25' away (position 1) what sounded and looked to be a 6" .44 Mag. The Dirty Harry gun. They reset the target with a fresh and then he hands that hand cannon off to his 'friend' who looked to me to stand 5'9" and weigh maybe 140 lbs under multiple layers of baggy clothing. His first shot missed the target completely. The second he jerked it badly, missed, and POOF...a cloud of dust formed from the ceiling roughly 30' down range. :(

I went home.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

While I am as committed to maintaining the current number of holes in my body as anyone else on this board, I am starting to get a little defensive when someone starts calling new shooters 'idiots'.

And yes, I have done so myself, a good many times.

Many of these idiots are nothing of the sort, but simply lack the knowledge of how to safely handle a firearm. I realize that when many of us go to a range, we are doing so with the intention of practicing our own skills, not teaching some stranger the basics. Still, it seems well worth a little time and effort to ensure the continuance of the shooting sports.

Most of these idiots could become upstanding members of the gun culture, if someone took the time to teach them the basics. I feel it is well worth a few minutes of my time to introduce myself, and offer to assist obviously new shooters. After all, I was one myself, some time back. Sometimes I'm told to get lost... fine. In that case, I'll go grab a cup of coffee and come back later. It usually doesn't take this type long to expend the box or two of ammo they brought.

Most of the time, people are happy to accept a few pointers. Even the 6'3" 280lb 20-something with the scraggly beard, long hair, and black, skull bearing T-shirt. This look is common with kids today, and doesn't necessarily indicate that the guy is a thug, (just that he has no taste!). Ignore appearances, be polite, and offer to help. You might be surprised at how receptive people are!

I will no longer dismiss people as idiots, or yell at them for minor safety violations when they may very well not be aware that they are committing an error. Note; I am not condoning people who ignore the 4 rules, but if a guy has never been taught what they are, it's not productive to scream at them. Yelling at someone for breaking the rules isn't going to lead them towards becoming a safe shooter, it's either going to make them think that you're a 'range natzi', or convince them that shooting isn't for them.

The shooting sports are growing in popularity... after decades of decreasing numbers. It's the obligation of each and every one of us to keep this trend heading in the right direction. Using the term 'idiots' to describe new, uninformed shooters doesn't help our cause!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

The range I go to has a mandatory safety presentation before any new shooters, or someone the range owner doesn't know shows up to shoot. He also relies on experienced shooters to report unsafe behavior to him immediately;

He has a zero-tolerance policy for stuff like that.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links