Regarding the Sig P226 X-Five

This is a discussion on Regarding the Sig P226 X-Five within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some of our resident Sig afficionados can surely help on this. In considering my next purchase, my brand loyalty to Sig will win out (this ...

Some of our resident Sig afficionados can surely help on this. In considering my next purchase, my brand loyalty to Sig will win out (this time). Though others interest me, the P226 X-Five is leading thus far to be my first tuned, 'premium' pistol, and at this point, I'm looking for a reason NOT to buy it.

Do any of of ya'll have one? Assuming I'm going to stick with it and practice enough to wind up competing, is the X-Five 'enough gun'? Any considerations you'd take versus another top o' the line Sig? I also liked the P220 Super Match, however it only holds 8. Then again, it has a rail (which I'm not certain I'd use for my lightsource intsead of having a hand-held, but I think they're generally nice to have). Crimson Trace grips for the X-Five will run another $230, but I probably wouldn't be able to leave C.T. grips on for competition, so I wouldn't practice with 'em on (right??)...

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Scot
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

VIP Member
    I am SERIOUSLY looking at an X-Five as well - come on, gurus, who has experience with them?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    I want the X5 tactical, my only concern is holster availability. As far as is it enough gun....

It's a 5" 226, how can it not be enough gun?

VIP Member
    I think he meant enough gun for IPSC style competitions, where most everyone else will have tricked-out custom 1911s... It's certainly enough gun for CCW, if you can conceal it!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    I know, I was being silly.

I think it would be a good competition gun. The people that actually need all that tricked out stuff have enough skill through shooting thousands of rounds a week to where that stuff makes a difference. For a "stock" gun the X5 should be more than enough for us average folk.

Administrator
    Its a nice gun, but I'm failing to see the huge advantage over plain 226 witha nice trigger. Most people will never out shoot/grow a regular 226, so why bother with the x?
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Coming from a guy with how many Sigs and shotguns?

I just want a single action 226.

Administrator
    True... but I've never really fallen for the"special" editions. If it had a different build quality or some advantage over the standard that I could take advantage of, I'd buy it. But Sig already wants a premium for their standard guns.

I guess the question one has to ask is the extra money worth while when you probably will never shoot eithier gun at its full potential.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    For what kind of competition? I may be mistaken, but I recall hearing that the X5 is just a smidgen too long to fit in the IDPA box.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

I just want a single action 226.
    I can probably make you one....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its a nice gun, but I'm failing to see the huge advantage over plain 226 witha nice trigger. Most people will never out shoot/grow a regular 226, so why bother with the x?

Sorry, Sixto...did you just ask me why I need it? Pardon me if I overstep my bounds with you, chum, but you sound just like the wife!

While I don't pretend to tout my skills as anything special, I'd like to think that I can grow with this item without exceeding the inherent limits of it. Beyond that...it is soooooooooooo effin' cool!!!!!

I love the Equinox and all the P220 varieties, too...maybe I'll own 'em all someday!! Won't EVER need 'em all, though!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    True... but I've never really fallen for the"special" editions. If it had a different build quality or some advantage over the standard that I could take advantage of, I'd buy it. But Sig already wants a premium for their standard guns.

I guess the question one has to ask is the extra money worth while when you probably will never shoot eithier gun at its full potential.

Fair enough, Six. What if cash ain't a problem? While I intend to prove you wrong re:potential, that will wait (what a glorious incentive you've given me, though!!). Would you own it?

The X5 series are tremendous firearms. Not sure which X5 you intend to get, but they all offer something well above and beyond the regular 226's. I think the best value is the X5 Comp. Essentially the same as the Level 1 without the adjustable trigger or Nills grips. The trigger on the Comp breaks cleanly at under 3 pounds (at least the samples I tried), so who needs adjustibility. The Comp & Level 1 are hand built in Germany - not the hybrid production (Germany & NH) you see on the regular line. They have a stainless frame, a bull barrel and an extra thickness (heavy) dust cover. The gun feels like an extension of your arm. Probably the best "production" handgun out there and worth the asking price.

A couple caveats - as someone previously stated, too big, too heavy for IDPA (at least for the stock service pistol). Probably OK for IPSC, but I've been out of touch with competitive shooting for so long that I'm not sure where this would fit in with the IPSC rules/classes. Holster acquisition may be a problem. The adjustable "speed" holsters may work (like Hogue's), but not sure of any makers putting together holsters for the X5. This is something the Sig is actually looking into. The magazines are very expensive (of course if you're spending $2K+ on a gun, magazine expense probably isn't a concern) - probably in the neighborhood of $70 each.

Go for it and enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Fair enough, Six. What if cash ain't a problem? While I intend to prove you wrong re:potential, that will wait (what a glorious incentive you've given me, though!!). Would you own it?
    Yeah, I would, but I dont have one for the reasons I already mentioned... I cant out shoot my regular 226, and I dont think the X will make a huge difference. It is a really cool gun, and if you want it just for the sake of having it, by all means go for it. If you can out shoot that gun, I'll drive down to learn a thing or two from ya!

I guess what I'm getting at is these guns tend to become safe queens with no real purpose, other than bragging rights. So unless you have a purpose for the gun, it really isnt worth it imo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Fair enough assessment, Six. Thanks.

Also, thanks to Pizza Bob...you've explained much.

S

Links