wow ! a reporter who gets it !

This is a discussion on wow ! a reporter who gets it ! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hope this is the right place it kind of fits in a few. Glocks, stocks and barrels | ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: GUN CONTROL ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: GUN ...

Thread: wow ! a reporter who gets it !

hope this is the right place it kind of fits in a few.

Glocks, stocks and barrels | ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: GUN CONTROL
    ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: GUN CONTROL
    Glocks, stocks and barrels
    Ohio gun show crowds secure, courteous
    PETER BRONSON
    CINCINNATI - As I waited in the parking lot for the doors to open at 9 a.m., two guys pulled up next to me in a black Chevy pickup.
    They wore camo ball caps, jeans and sweat shirts. Nothing unusual there - until one slung a rifle over his shoulder as they headed for the door.
    Anywhere else, people would grab their cell phones and dial 911. But this was the Pro Gun Show. Dozens of guys were toting shotguns, rifles and handguns, not to mention swords and knives.
    It looked like a not-very-well regulated militia from Red Dawn, reporting for duty.
    As the line spilled out the door, each gun was carefully inspected and tagged to certify that it was unloaded, and safe to sell or swap.
    "No cameras," said a sign. It occurred to me that I could get kicked out for carrying a Kodak, but nobody would blink if I flashed a Glock. Apparently, gun owners and dealers value their privacy.
    I'd heard ads for these shows and always wondered about them. So when a guy in my concealed-carry class last month gave me a flier, I decided to find out what a gun show looked like. The pictures I couldn't take would show:
    • It looked sort of like a craft show. There were leather belts, German helmets from World War II, polished stones, wood carvings and special handbags for women who carry guns.
    • It looked sort of like an Army surplus store, with bayonets, canteens, Samurai swords and even a box of disarmed grenades that could make panic-inducing paperweights.
    • It looked sort of like a convention of hunters, with lots of bright orange and camouflage.
    • But mostly it looked like a gun show.
    Once I got past the surprise of so many firearms in public, it was quite interesting. There were John Wayne Winchesters, Davey Crockett muzzleloaders and Dirty Harry magnums. A retired cop showed me his WWII Colt Commando .38 in vintage condition: $425.
    Nearby, new Glocks sold for $490. And for guys who need to have the biggest gun in the woods, there was a .50-caliber Barrett rifle for $11,500, with cartridges as long as ballpoint pens and as thick as broom handles.
    Long tables displayed teddy bears, targets and nearly every kind of ammo known to mankind.
    And everywhere in the crowded aisles, men talked guns; buying, trading, selling or just swapping bullet points about magazines, holsters and ammo.
    They all were very polite - as people are prone to be around so many guns.
    But there was one cringe-inducing item: a T-shirt that said, "One Person Can Change the World" on the front. Then on the back: "With Enough Ammunition."
    Not the best message after five college kids were killed by a deranged campus shooter at Northern Illinois University.
    And that's a shame, because the gun owners I've met are among the nicest, most helpful, most law-abiding people anywhere. They're no scarier than collectors who hoard coins, baseball cards or Beanie Babies.
    In fact, gun shows are probably safer. Even the world's dumbest criminal is not stupid enough to hold up a gun show packed with armed NRA members.
    The rules are stricter, too.
    Private gun owners can sell guns to anyone of legal age (18 for long guns, 21 for handguns), without federal regulations or paperwork. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence wants to close that "gun-show loophole."
    But the so-called loophole applies anywhere. You don't need paperwork to sell a gun to your neighbor. And you don't need a gun show to buy a "nine" in Over-The-Rhine.
    The notion that gun-control laws can disarm lawbreakers is so irrational there's no place to even begin that conversation. And when I see media stories about outlawing "assault weapons," I just wince.
    I'm not a gun expert. But I'm not that ignorant.
    Yes, there were guns made to look like military M-16s at the gun show. But they're not automatic. Real automatics are regulated almost to extinction. The ones on sale at the show are no more deadly than any semi-automatic varmint gun. They might look scary. But a pellet gun in the wrong hands is scary enough.
    The truth is, there's probably no way to keep mentally ill or dangerous people from getting a gun. But gun shows do their best.
    Gun-show dealers do instant, while-you-wait federal background checks. If there's a wrong answer to any of the 15 questions about mental health, criminal records, drug use and citizenship, the buyer has to walk away empty-handed or find a private seller.
    Gun-phobics refuse to believe it, but researcher and author John Lott says state after state has proved that concealed-carry laws reduce shootings by putting more guns in the hands of law-abiding people. The title of his book says it all: "More Guns, Less Crime."
    His comment on recent shootings: "At some point the news media might begin to mention the one common feature of these attacks: They keep occurring in gun-free zones. Gun-free zones are a magnet for these attacks."
    I guess that gun show might have been the safest place in Ohio.
    Peter Bronson is a columnist with the Cincinnati Enquirer and former editorial page editor of the Tucson Citizen. E-mail: pbronson@cincinna.gannett.com
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Well written.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

He may very well lose his job for writing that pro-gun editorial. I think it was well written and so very true.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Great read, well written.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Yay! Now he needs to spread the word even more.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Very well written! It's hard to turn a sheep!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    That was a very well written article, but it is unlikely to change the mind of any sheep.

My 23 y/o son and I were discussion the home invasion/murder that occurred 4 miles from the house on Monday:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...groton-ct.html

He said "Dad, you're paranoid. You and mom should keep watch 24/7" being the sarcastic antagonist that he is. I replied, "I am not paranoid, and I don't live in fear that something will happen. I am just prepared in case it does." He had no reply.

The point of this is that I am trying to work on him to get his permit, but he doesn't really see the need at this point. Hard to admit that I may have raised a sheep.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Good article...great use of common sense...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links