Defensive Carry banner

Maybe I just want to rant

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  czman2006 
#1 ·
So after lunch I went to this pawn shop I frequent to look at their guns and some games and DVDs. I come in here all the time and they know me. As I was checking out, at the other register this lady of about 35ish was pawning off a Sigma .40.
When the lady behind the counter took the gun out of the case to inspect it, it didn't have a trigger lock and she pulled it up right at my mid section, and didn't clear it either.
She was looking for the make model and caliber markings, I polietely asked if she could not level it in my direction, she gave me one of those 'Excuuuse Me!" replys, as if I had done something to offend her; however I did help to point out the caliber marking on top of the chamber.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but how would have you have responded? The woman selling it didn't even know what caliber it was, and the lady working there didn't know if it was loaded or what not but still pulled it up at me. I refuse to have a gun pointed at me, should I have stepped out of the way, or was metioning the way I did considered ok etiquette?

#2 ·
I would have asked for the Gun to help her, and clear it! Stupid sheep kill people all the time. I'm the same way don't point yours, and I won't point mine!!

#4 ·
I think I would have calmly asked her not to point it at me and offer to clear it. If she wants to develop attitude, it's time to include the Store Manager. Explain in calm tone the problem and offer to help out. If SM declines, or is not apologetic for the clerk's actions, then make the pawn shop a "used to be" haunt and pass word around that they are unsafe - gotta imagine that in ND their image is known around the area.

I say you made the right call.
Steve

#5 ·
I would have stepped well back and mentioned that it is against safe gun handling rules to:

Point a weapon at someone at any time in these types of circumstances
AND
Having someone unfamiliar with firearms safety or who is unfamiliar with a specific firearm type/model handle an unfamiliar weapon is not safe.

I then would have offered to help clear the weapon on the basis that I know that specific firearm and am familiar with the procedure to make it safe for inspection.

If they got huffy about it I'd leave (BTDT). I would possibly return in the future and mention the event to the manager and say that I'd prefer that the manager/store educate their employees a bit better when it comes to firearms. They should also have a specific rule (and sign) stating that firearms are required to be unloaded and the action open prior to inspection.

#6 ·
I figure you should have either shot her or called the police and have her arrested for assault, brandishing, disturbing the peace, etc.

Either that, or move out of the way, contact the store manager and let him know why you won't be frequenting his shop anymore.

Your call.

#11 ·
That was pretty much my take. Or if the gun was of any interest to me I'd wait for her to make an offer on the gun than offer more up to what I'd willing to pay for it used. Rude behavior begets rude responses.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone! I will for sure get ahold of the manager about it, and I might need to go over there and see how much they want for it :)

#8 ·
I think you responded rightly.

I was at a Bass Pro Shop outside of Baltimore Maryland and a guy had a revolver that he was looking at and I guess he thought he was "Dirty Harry" or something and was actually sighting the pistol at people in the store!

When he had it pointed at me, I politely told him that its a big no-no to do such a thing and he responded with a "ITS NOT LOADED" comment in a very rude manner. I simply stated that I didn't know that and everyone else in the store didn't know it was unloaded or loaded either.

The guy behind the counter brushed me off. I guess since I was young, the older guys felt they knew more than I did. But even when that happened I was 17 at that time and knew more about safety than they obviously did.

That was the last time I went to Bass Pro to buy/look at guns.
I rather buy from a mom and pop gun store anyhow. They are the ones who need the money.

Another time that made me angry I was a gun show and asked for M855 "green tip" ammo and the idiot started yelling at me about not selling armor piercing ammo and said he was going to tell the police what I was trying to buy.
I simply laughed at him and told him, I would go get the State Trooper at the show if he really wanted.

Ahhh well. What can you do about the idiots at gun stores? I guess try to teach them whats best and move on.

#9 ·
I think you responded correctly as well. I would have been forceful and direct about safe handling. She obviously did not know, and I would (politely) mention it to the manager. Everyone has to learn sometime.

#10 ·
I don't frequent gun shops and/or ranges with idiots and unsafe pracitces...period!:scruntiny:

#13 ·
Before I did anything else I personally would immediately move myself out of the possible direct line of fire rather than stand there and tell her to point the firearm in another direction.

"Excuse me lady....could you please point that....N.D. BOOM! :gah:...away...from....meeeee." :dead:

#15 ·
First thing is to get yourself out of the line of fire.

You may be right, but it sucks being right with more holes in you than you went in to the store with. After that I would've said something about offering to help clear the weapon and what the make/model/caliber was if I knew it.

After the transaction was done, or while talking with the salesperson, I would've asked for the manager in a polite tone, giving no indication that I wanted to take the gun from the salesclerk and shove it up her rectum.

To the manager I would've told him or her that I don't appreciate guns being pointed at me by his or her employees. If safety training can't be accomplished then I won't be back.

There are a few stores in my town that I won't frequent because of unsafe practices or poor salesmanship. I spent about $75 more on my 1911 because the clerk at another store was a JERK. They get no business from me, and I tell people when they ask about that store about my expirience. I then recommend to them where I shop. :smile:

Biker :urla9ub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.