Question regarding gun shipping

This is a discussion on Question regarding gun shipping within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a friend that I purchased a gun from. He's out of state - in PA -and I'm in Florida. He's on his way ...

Thread: Question regarding gun shipping

Question regarding gun shipping

I have a friend that I purchased a gun from. He's out of state - in PA -and I'm in Florida. He's on his way to Florida for vacation via flight - however, he's going to be more than 8 hours away.

Can he simply put the gun into a box and Fed Ex it or UPS it when he gets into the state?

OR - does he bring it to his FFL in PA and ship it to mine?

I'm completely new at this - help me out here please.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    If not face to face it must be sent through an FFL
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Only black powder and relic/curio (and that's not even always the case) guns can be shipped in that fashion. Guns can only be shipped FFL to FFL.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    NO Fed (or FL) Law requires the shipper to be an FFL, only the "receiver" needs to be an FFL. Many FFLs will not accept shipments from Non-FFLs, but this is of their own choosing and not related to any legal requirements.

FTF can only be legal if both are RESIDENTS of the same state, otherwise an FFL must be involved to do the transfer. This is Fed Law and supercedes any state laws to the contrary.

Only FFL (Dealers only) can (by law) ship handguns via USPO. Everyone else must use FedEx or UPS . . . both require next day air for handguns, but this is their own rule and not law.

Maybe this will help, or confuse even more:

Shipping Firearms

Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.

A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.

Firearms or ammunition delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written notice to the carrier of the contents of the shipment.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Links