Kimber Pro Carry II Range Report

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro Carry II Range Report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, a few weeks ago, I purchased this Pro carry II. What a wonderful gun it is... The first range trip was a bit disappointing... ...

Thread: Kimber Pro Carry II Range Report

Kimber Pro Carry II Range Report

So, a few weeks ago, I purchased this Pro carry II. What a wonderful gun it is...

The first range trip was a bit disappointing... in 150 rounds it failed to feed no less than 6 times. I just couldn't seem to get it to aim correctly, either by looking down the sights or looking at the little red dot which emanates from the Crimson Trace Laser Grips.

So, I went home, field stripped it, cleaned it and oiled it, re-assembled it worked the action several times and cleaned any oil. I then waited 24 hours and did it all over again just to make sure.

I took it back to the range last night, fired 200 rounds through it with zero FTF. Every grouping at 7 yards was within about 1.5", at 10 yards was about the same, 15 yards was about 2.5" and at 25 yards was about 4" all with the laser. Manual sights was about the same, except it was more accurate at 25 yards without the laser.

I have owned an XD .45 for about one year and loved it, except for the trigger action, which I just had a difficult time reconciling. The Kimber was purchased as a summer carry gun but has now become my every day carry in a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB. Right now, i don't carry cocked and locked, mostly because at home my son loves to crawl all over me and I just don't like that risk. Every time I practice drawing I practice racking the slide and I have it down pretty well at this point.

I love this gun, and for me I can definitely say that it was money VERY well spent.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Did you clean/lube it prior to the first trip to the range? I believe they recommend doing that. Were you using the same kind of ammo each time? Glad it worked out in the end.

I ran my Pro Carry II very wet with lube for the first 400 rds. Then dropped back to the normal amount of lube that I use in my other pistols. Mine ran 100% out of the box with no problems. Around the 350 rd mark I could feel the difference in the trigger and slide action. It just gets better the more I shoot it.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

I did not clean and lube it prior to my first trip, a mistake I will never duplicate.

I had 2 problems in the first 150 rounds with my Pro CDP II - one FTF and one instance of the slide locking open with ammo still in the mag. I'd taken the gun apart and oiled it before heading to the range, but apparently not well enough. Next tear-down I polished the feed ramp and throat by hand, used more Break Free on reassembly and paid more attention to loading the mags. No problems since.

Links