Interesting day shooting a Barrett 50 Cal and other guns today.

This is a discussion on Interesting day shooting a Barrett 50 Cal and other guns today. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of my wife's coworkers brought his Barrett 50 BMG bolt action rifle, I brought our Shiloh Sharps 45/70, Bushmaster Varminter .223, M1A/M-14 and my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Interesting day shooting a Barrett 50 Cal and other guns today.

One of my wife's coworkers brought his Barrett 50 BMG bolt action rifle, I brought our Shiloh Sharps 45/70, Bushmaster Varminter .223, M1A/M-14 and my 30 Belted Newton built on a 03 WW1 action. We also shot a Desert Eagle 50 AE (wow what a handful) a .45 ACP, my Sig .40 and a few others. We shot from 30 yards to 500 yards today. I was quite surprised at the Barrett, I expected a pretty good recoil but my wife even shot it. Hardly any recoil at all. But one BIG BOOM when it went off. We also ended up fighting fire from one of the tracer rounds. I had the Rhino and got to get to it quick enough. Another thing that surprised me was the ability of the Sharps 45/70 to hit the target at 500 yards. I'd calculated that I needed 51 MOA up adjustment for a 500 yard shot with the 522 gr cast postal bullet. I was dead on when I set the rear sight at 76 MOA (25+51). The M1A and Bushmaster with the 75 gr hollow point was also able to hit the same target. There were 6 of us out there today on our 400 acres and I don't think I've had that much fun for quite some time. We had bowling pins, steel targets and big white rocks at the longer range that we could see the dirt splash and adjust accordingly. The only 50 BMG I've shot before this was an M-2 Machine Gun in the military. What I could not get over was the lack of recoil. Still lots of boom and I made a point of standing directly behind the shooter but I was very impressed. At the price of ammo I'll probably stick with what I've got. If we had not had so many people with us we would have tried out some 1000 yard shots. We just ran out of time and since I had to ferry everyone to the shooting spot with the Rhino it would have been a pain. The picture is not of me, it's Andy with his Barrett.

Last edited by ridurall; April 19th, 2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add picture
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Sounds like everyone had a GREAT DAY AT THE RANGE.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Awesome!

I've shot an armalite 50 cal bolt action and the muzzle breaks on them do a great job on felt recoil,somebody said if ya shot it without the break it would be like catching it on your shoulder after somebody dropped it from 8 feet up,don't know if it's true but that would hurt,as it was it recoiled like my beretta semi auto 12 gauge
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    The brakes do a great job.
    You do not want to shoot a .50BMG without one.

Trust me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I just lost my best friend today to cancer and pneumonia at 4:40 PM today. While looking through our various interests and forums to notify everyone I came across this my first post about shooting the 50 BMG for the first time. I did not realize just how hooked I would get on shooting the 50 BMG after that. My friend Randy that died today also got hooked on shooting 50 BMG because of that day and died with 2, 50 BMG rifles. One with a 36" barrel and the other a 30" barrel. Both were Bohica which will make some people run for the border but we have had fun with them. I was shooting mine with my son in law the other day after having a zero stop installed in my Nightforce 8-32X56 NXS Scope. We told my cell phone ballistic program just how far we were shooting and I was surprised with just how well it shot. At 100 yards there is nothing to send home about but at 400 and 575 yards my rifle shot groups that were just over 1 inch in diameter. That shocked the heck out of me and I just cannot understand how a gun can shoot a smaller group and 575 yards than it can at 100 yards. Anyway since getting a 50 BMG and getting interested in loading for it I've had an enjoyable run and of all the different calibers I've been loading for 40 years the 50 has been the most enjoyable but also the most expensive. At least the API bullets have been pretty reasonable as long as it's not to dry to shoot them.
    Last edited by ridurall; February 2nd, 2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add comments
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your friend. Shoot a few for him at the range and he'll always be with you.

R I P Randy
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

So sorry to hear of your loss. It is never easy. Keep the memories at heart, and cherish the times you spent together. They are truly something to treasure.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your friend.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I'm very sorry you lost your best friend, hang on to the memories and be blessed that you had the memories with Randy and the fun of shooting with your best friend. True best friends are rare, usually we only get one and two if we are lucky.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    May Randy Rest In Peace .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Links