Sig Sauer Custom Shop

Sig Sauer Custom Shop

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer Custom Shop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone here had any work done on their Sig from the Sig Sauer Custom Shop? I have a P220 and I'd like to know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sig Sauer Custom Shop

Has anyone here had any work done on their Sig from the Sig Sauer Custom Shop? I have a P220 and I'd like to know what, if any, of the customizations are worth the money. It seems a bit spendy to me but I could see some of it being worthwhile if they do a good job, which I imagine they do.

The Action Enhancement Package and "SRT" Short Reset Trigger look especially promising. Here's the link...

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerServ...Price-List.pdf

I have not personally, but some of the folks on the Sig forum speak very highly of their work. Grayguns also gets rave reviews. In fact some people like Bruce's work better than the factory jobs.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thumbs down

i heard it was kind of a ripoff.

Yeah, replies! And not all postitive. Wilson1 could you be more specific if possible?

I'm thinking of either plopping down some money to slick up my P220 or buying a new gun altogether. I can't do both.

Chum:

I won't make a statement either way as to the quality of one shop's work over another. But I'll leave you with this thought - If this is your carry gun, a gun modified by the factory is more defensible in court than one modified by an outside source. Just food for thought.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Chum:

I won't make a statement either way as to the quality of one shop's work over another. But I'll leave you with this thought - If this is your carry gun, a gun modified by the factory is more defensible in court than one modified by an outside source. Just food for thought.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Good point Pizza Bob! I hadn't thought of that at all.

EAJ
    I had my SIG P239 SAS DAK converted to DA/SA by their custom shop along with the ACP package. I was pleased with their work. As a result the pistol is more enjoyable (and accurate) to shoot. Normally, unless it’s a warranty issue shipping would apply (about $70 round trip) , however I received free shipping and they replaced the rear contrast sight with a night sight at no additional cost.

Grayguns has an excellent reputation on the SIG forum and some owners prefer their work over SIG’s custom shop, however it is a little pricier and his services are in demand therefore you may have to take a number. :)

Sponsor
    Pizza Bob,

Can you describe under what circumstances anyone would be able to determine the gun had been worked on by anyone?

Who [ involved in an after action shooting officially ] would have enough knowledge of any particular firearms mechanics to find it had been worked on?

If this is your carry gun, a gun modified by the factory is more defensible in court than one modified by an outside source.

Perhaps, but there are plenty of gunsmiths out there who specialize in one or two makers firearms and have a reputation for the best work on those models. None of which would even be a factor in most shootings unless the gun failed and fired unintentionally.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Can you describe under what circumstances anyone would be able to determine the gun had been worked on by anyone?
    In a shooting just about anything can come to light. In this instance it would be more likely to happen in a civil rather than criminal trial. Read any of Ayoob's court horror stories. Whether a gun has been modified or not is something that would be asked during discovery by the plaintiff. Once it's found that it was, whether it's a factor in the shooting or not, a good attorney can really make something of nothing. Firearms manufacturers have to govern just about everything they do from a liability standpoint. If the manufcturer of your gun is the same entity that modified it, the fact that it IS modified is more defensible.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sponsor
    Whether a gun has been modified or not is something that would be asked during discovery by the plaintiff

Modified?, I prefer the words "enhanced for reliability" myself. If the guns safeties weren't disabled, the gun wasnt made unsafe through the enhanced work, the shoot was good, etc, I don't see the concern or worry in having the gun worked on.

The civil trial might bring forth the question of whether it was "altered" in some way after it left the factory and for what reason. It's quite defensible that any work I'd have performed on my weapon was also offered by the factory.

That the enhancement wasn't "factory" but some outside vendors work might be a contention, but then any vendor I'm going to use would be well established as a known expert in that firearm operation.

I mention the above because quite often people will change out an extractor to say a Wilson bullet proof on a 1911, or change the same part on a sig 220.

I don't like the word modified, I think that suggests more than needs to be spoken at any time. I might tweek my extractor on my 1911 myself, that technically is a modification. Will that be a contention down the road? Only if you make statements which bring that action to the fore.

If one is going to worry about enhancing their firearms performance and any after action contentions by some aggressive defense atty in doing so, carry it stock as you get it from the factory. On the other hand, if some enhancement made the gun more reliable than it came from the factory, one could demonstrate/document that very well for an uneducated jury. To me, thats what you are attempting at trial, to educate the jurors who probably won't understand either sides contention.

Brownie

Just to add a note to your note about the previous note (), I'm fairly certain that any 'reliability enhancements' made by a master gunsmith like Bruce Gray would probably pass even the most scrutinous jury.

I guess the real point is that a P220 comes ready rock right out of the box. In light of my recent purchase(s), I'm probably not best to make this point, but if cash is an issue and reliability is your biggest concern, lay your money on a 'run of the mill' Sig and rest easy knowing you've got a gun you can count on. Tricking out and improving ANY gun is always possible, but as far as perfection from the factory, I don't think anyone will argue that Sig comes close.

Sixto?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Sponsor
    I'm fairly certain that any 'reliability enhancements' made by a master gunsmith like Bruce Gray would probably pass even the most scrutinous jury.

I would think so, his reputation with sigs preceded him.

I guess the real point is that a P220 comes ready rock right out of the box.

They used to, but since the Kimber exec was hired on to run Sig, some of the newer designed 220's have had small issues crop up which were never seen in their original configuration. Their new 8 round mag for the 220 has a propensity to not feed the last round in some guns. It's been determined by others that a small section of the slide on some got out of the factory without being radiused properly.

I'm down here in Fla until tonight, having trained a police dept down here on Thursday and taking a few days to wind down in sunny Fla.

The officers carry sigs and the sig rep was there for the morning. She wouldn't admit to issues with the new 220's mags or what may be causing it [ not surprising at all ], so I showed her the radiused area of the slide that isn't always radiused [ those appear to be the guns having issues with the new mags for some reason ].

She was interested, to say the least. She gave me two sig 220 seven round mags gratis, which I appreicated

On another note, I happened to call sig customer service last Monday as my thin grips for the 220 don't come close to fitting properly. The person stated send the gun in, they'd fit up a pair for me. I told him no thanks, I didn't buy a sig to have to send it back, that their grips should fit to begin with. He wouldn't comp me a pair so that really set me off.

I informed the boss at the gunshop I wasn't selling or recommending sigs anymore, their customer service attitude was bad, and thats knowing I worked and sold sigs at a shop a few days a week when I'm around.

He gave me the reps name who services us as a master dealer. I called our rep who was not happy about the customer services response and my grips are waiting for me when I return to the shop tomorrow.

I'll continue to sell sigs, but if a customer has a problem with one of their products, I'm calling our rep, not customer service.

Brownie

I am curious about having the accessory pieces (trigger, screws, slide catch, decocker, etc) nickel plated.

I know that sig custom shop offers it, but is is $200. I'm sure that I can get them nickel plated somewhere locally, but will they still work?

I am going for the "equinox" look. I have a gunsmith who offered to do the brushed slide look for $60, and he will install the nickel plated pieces if I get them, but I am wondering if I can get this done locally.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Todd.

If the gun was never modified then the whole line of questioning will never come up..
    Its all a game for the lawyers.. "He modified the weapon so it realiably would kill everytime, ladies and gentleman"
    I see no reason to give the other guy anything that can be worked to your disadvantage.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

In Texas It's a non issue if it was a good self defense shoot you won't even get past a grand jury
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links