The effectiveness of a suppressor

This is a discussion on The effectiveness of a suppressor within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just watched the movie Sharpshooter. Good action flick for those so inclined. In the movie, the sharpshooter wanted to take out some bad guy ...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I just watched the movie Sharpshooter. Good action flick for those so inclined.

In the movie, the sharpshooter wanted to take out some bad guy sentinels with his AR-15 with a suppressor which of course he did and nobody heard a sound. Hmmph. Hollywood.

However, let's assume for a moment that the suppressor actually completely muffled the sound of the bang. The round itself is traveling at supersonic speed and will create a small sonic boom. So my question is just how stealthy can this sharpshooter be using a suppressor when the bullet is traveling so fast?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    Depends on the ammo and type of suppressor. Ours are pretty darn quiet with the right combo, but it isnt silent... and you can hear the crack of the speedy bullet, its almost like the crack of an airgun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The bullet gets to it's target a long time before the sound since it's traveling so fast. I figure if a sniper is using a semi-automatic weapon engaging targets say even only 300 yds away, he's likely got time to engage and take three targets in the same area without any of them hearing a sound or having time to react.
    speed of sound at sea level = 340.29 m / s

Senior Moderator
    So my question is just how stealthy can this sharpshooter be using a suppressor when the bullet is traveling so fast?
    You'd be surprised. In the right situation, using a suppressor can be very misleading. For instance, the sonic crack can be intentionaly used and the sound bounced off from different objects.
    For instance, is you set up a good ways behind a structure, the sonic crack will appeared to have origninated from that structure. In the woods, the crack can sound like it comes from a large tree or a rock, when in fact it does not. It can and will be misleading, in the mean time you are shooting at an enemy the whole time and he thinks its coming from somewhere that it is not.

With the right combo, you wont know. If its a suppressed .300 whisper like mine that uses a subsoinc 220 grain bullet, you'll never hear the shot. You will hear the bullet whack...and that is plenty loud.

That thump could be the last sound you hear.
    There is quite a bit of difference between subsonic and supersonic. Supersonic is much louder in a suppressor.Even with that the shooter can be hard to find.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, I know with the one I've used the sound of the bullet on steel at 200 yards was louder than the shot.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I like when people use the more correct term of "suppressor" rather than "silencer".

As mentioned before, suppressors don't eliminate the sonic crack of supersonic ammo. They just suppress the sound a bit and muzzle blast. Using subsonic ammo with a suppressor is very effective. A supersonic bullet will be making noise in flight and there is no way to control that once it leaves the weapon.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    A supersonic bullet will be making noise in flight
    If you are hearing that...then you need to be somewhere else...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    You could also use subsonic ammo in combination w/ a suppressor and that's really shhhhh...quiet.

Oh never mind...Tubby45 just said that.
    He said it so quietly that I didn't hear it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    An added benefit of using subsonic ammo is that the bullet isnt very stabile as most rifling twists are made for supersonic ammo.

When the bullet does hit something, it tumbles all over the place.

Its one of the reasons that the .300 Whisper kills deer much better than one would expect.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

go to yhm "yankee hill machine"they have demos of suppressed weapons from .22 to ar15 full auto,45 full auto grease gun,338 rifle the suppress the weapon and then they take the "can" off and fire it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    My personal question in this matter... What kind of sound are shooters facing from the gun itself. Obviously the bolt cycles. That's not exactly quiet. Just curious how much of a consideration that might be for sniping?? I know that some people think that HK's with suppressors are God's gift to quiet shooting but just running the slide on that thing.. its anything but stealthy. More quiet than an unsuppressed shot? Of course! Quiet? HA!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Bravo,
    For true sniping from a military standpoint the target is so far away that they would not hear the action cycle.

Also the vast majority of sniper rifles are still bolt actions, with some exceptions.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Action cycling is difficult to suppress. For civilians is it of no consequence. For military clandestine operations it could be important, but it doesn't seem so in practice, since most weapons are of auto loading function whether suppressed or not. Some manual action weapons like revolvers (the Knight revolver-very cool classified though) and bolt rifles have been used with success.

Generally when firing a self loading weapon suppressed with subsonic ammo, you hear the action cycling and the bullet striking the target. The actual shot is very quiet compared to the other two actions.

YouTube - Suppressed AR

YouTube - AAC Prodigy .22lr silencer

YouTube - 2007 AAC Silencer Shoot
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links