IDPA match yesterday, a few pics / notes

This is a discussion on IDPA match yesterday, a few pics / notes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, for the most part the weather cooperated, and we had a great match. I have to hand it to the folks at Titusville. Their ...

Thread: IDPA match yesterday, a few pics / notes

Senior Moderator

IDPA match yesterday, a few pics / notes

Well, for the most part the weather cooperated, and we had a great match.

I have to hand it to the folks at Titusville. Their stages are very well laid out and very challenging.

On to the show....

Today's match encompassed 6 stages, two of which were modeled after IDPA qualifier strings. The other 4 utilized TRPC's excellent permanent range buildings (which have sort of an old west theme, because they were built for SASS matches) and the bay with not one but two sliding trolley moving target rigs.

So without further ado, some pics and highlights.

I found myself trying to shoot too fast in the first couple stages, and had to force myself to slow down a bit and watch the sights. After that, I got into a bit of a groove.

One stage in particular stood out as both a challenge and a lot of fun: Trouble At The Door. This one was shot in the 270 deg berm bay.

The shooter and RO start in the room behind the rightmost door. Once the shooter is ready, the RO knocks on the wall inside the room. The shooter opens the door (firearm still holstered and concealed) and after a 1 to 4 second delay, the beep sounds and the fight is on. Immediately outside the door is a threat target, which must be neutralized. Then, slicing the pie out the door to the shooter's right, two more targets are encountered and engaged.

The shooter then moves down the walkway to the second door (performing a reload with retention on the way), and being very careful not to sweep their own hand, opens the door.

Opening the door started a swinger, which peeked out from a no-shoot, paused for a moment, and then disappeared again.

Once the swinger was handled, and the popper beside it was dispatched, the shooter entered the room, and moving to their right engaged a few more targets around the wall.

An interesting stage, with shots taken around a 270 degree arc as the shooter moves through the stage.

The next stage was "The Shotgun is Empty". The shooter started with a shotgun in hand, loaded with three rounds. , and a concealed, holstered pistol. As the tone, the shooter dropped three poppers (large metal targets almost like silhouettes) with the shotgun, then opened the action and laid it on the table. The shooter then drew the pistol and moved to an adjacent window to the right, slicing the pie and engaging three paper targets. The shooter then continued moving to their right, and came to a hallway - at the end of the hall was a threat target standing above and behind a no-shoot. The threat target was hinged so that a shoot through the chest -0 area would pop a balloon and cause the target to drop.

Once that target dropped, the shooter advanced down the hall and engaged the final series of targets from the end of the hallway.

I'm still processing pictures, so there is more to come, but I want to close with this, a little double tap action around the barricade:

In all, a great time shooting with good company in the horrible Florida weather.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a great time.

Also, reminds me how woefully unprepared I am for a course like that.

Alas, maybe someday...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I like that photo......

The spent brass caught mid flight....

It's cool!

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, the timing on that pic is perfect, with the two casings in the air and the slide just going back into battery with the smoke from the ejection port.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Not to shabby; have you considered posting videos to youtube? I have some videos posted there, it is free and pretty cool to check out.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    I've seen some vids from the Titusville matches on YouTube. All I have from the match yesterday are stills, though.

Matt

nice pics, I like the quality and perfect timing
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Nice pics! I didn't take any of my USPSA shoot this weekend---there wasn't much extra time other than a chance to reload mags. It sure is fun and addicting though.

Senior Moderator
    Not too bad for my second formal match.

Overall placement: 30/53
    In division (SSP):17/32

No FTN, No Procedurals, No HNT, and No FTDRs.

Matt

Senior Moderator
    Looks like a good set up for a Match
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Ever shoot the matches at PMRPC in Palm Bay?

-JT

Links