Vacation Accessories?

Vacation Accessories?

This is a discussion on Vacation Accessories? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When going on vacation what accessories do you take for carry? How many magazines, holsters, rounds of ammo, etc. I'm driving through earthquake country (IL, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Accessories?

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue

Vacation Accessories?

When going on vacation what accessories do you take for carry? How many magazines, holsters, rounds of ammo, etc.

I'm driving through earthquake country (IL, MO) and with this being spring and tornado season I'm wondering what I should take. Gun is a given. Extra mag, given. But...how much extra ammo in case of SHTF. I don't plan on doing any shooting this trip.

Thanks
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I'd usually take just an extra mag or two. Perhaps one whole box If one of my more paranoid moods struck me. Be careful in IL.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

When traveling, I always take at least two sidearms (same caliber) 4 mags for each, and an extra box of ammo...i.e., a Kimber Ultra and my Glock-36!
    Be sure to unload and put everything away when driving through IL...I would not stay anywhere in the state.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I will usually take an extra magazine and a good flashlight like my Surefire G2, also a good folding knife (CRKT or Gerber). I will take pepper spray in case I am traveling in a state that does not recognize my CHL or in the case of Illinois, is not a concealed carry state. Be leery of Chicago, they have the most restrictive weapon laws in the whole state.

I am aware of the IL "restrictions". I have a secret hiding place under the mat in the back of the SUV. With any luck I have only one or two stops in IL. Possibly for gas. The other is for dinner at the Blue Springs Cafe in Highland, IL. They have great food and pie. Great Midwest America food. Wonderful pies. Will overnight in MO on way to Kansas City and Arthur Bryant's for at least one meal.
    Pitmaster

Arthur Bryant's is good, and so is Gates BBQ. I also like Zarda BBQ in Lenexa, KS. Okay, okay, I know, I just plain love BBQ period! Thats why I love living in Kansas City! Good luck and have a safe trip Pitmaster.

VIP Member
    One N frame and 2 full moonclips.

Lead Moderator
    Spare mags, ammo , knives , flashlights ect. I go prepared.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm with Rocky. Two lights, knives, handguns, mags. Be prepared.

I've been carrying a Surefire for about 5 years when traveling. Have one in each car and another in the house. This was before I was even interested in guns. I also keep extra batteries around.

I guess I'll take the Walther P99 w/16 round magazine and a double mag pouch with 2 20 round magazines. That should do it.

Its sort of going to be strange, about 75% of the time I have my range bag, a couple of guns, and couple hundred rounds of ammo in the bag while going through my day. I have a pretty independent schedule at work, little supervision, and the range is on my way to and from work. I like having the bag just in case I need it.
    Pitmaster

Administrator
    I always toss a survival or "go bag" in the car when travelling. Of course it has a few spare mags and a box of ammo, but it also has more practical things like a leatherman type tool, snacks, water, flashlight first aid kit etc. One thing I recently added was one of those battery operated cell phone chargers.
    The bag isnt very big, and doesnt take up much room in an already crowded car, the contents have come in handy several times.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Wonderful pies.
    I admire someone willing to take risks for good pie.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Vacation load-out.

I carry a 1911 and a backup, another 1911 (not at the same time). I normally carry two reloads, so I pack a total of 6 mags. Two holsters, one IWB and one OWB. Two mag pouches, one single and one double. Extra flashlight in the car, moved to hotel room when we get where we're going.

This is in addition, of course, to the nine suitcses of clothes my wife and kid have. I'm usually allowed enough space for a change of underwear and socks.

Quote:
    I always toss a survival or "go bag" in the car when travelling. Of course it has a few spare mags and a box of ammo, but it also has more practical things like a leatherman type tool, snacks, water, flashlight first aid kit etc. One thing I recently added was one of those battery operated cell phone chargers.

Yoo Betcha. Traveling with a kid is nearly a guarantee that you'll need band-aids or some such along the way. My bag stays in the car all the time.

On the road

A Surefire light and spare battery/bulb carrier are a given, as is a good knife that's legal for everywhere I plan to go (no autos, maybe a shorter blade). I tend to carry my Glock 19 and Kel Tec 32, while the wife prefers her 26 and Tomcat. That way we can share mags and ammo and spare parts. I carry a little Glock "survival kit" with spare small parts and a Glock tool. I keep MTM plastic ammo boxes with 50 rounds in them and 3 spare 15 round magazines. That way I can grab and go and load all three mags with 5 rounds left over. I keep an Otis cleaning kit in there, too.

Ask somebody who travelled out of town on 9-10-01 and couldn't beg, borrow, or steal a way home if extra ammo is a good idea on a road trip.

I carry my "go-bag" or "bail-out-bag" in my vehicle 24/7....it's got a couple meals, water, and "accessories " for 72 hours....there's also an extra clip (full) for each of the two handguns I carry....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links