Is dry firing hard on a handgun?

This is a discussion on Is dry firing hard on a handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was brought up with the belief that dry firing was hard on the firing pin, is this true? Reading in a tactial handgunning book ...

I was brought up with the belief that dry firing was hard on the firing pin, is this true? Reading in a tactial handgunning book the other day, made reference to the fact that while training, one should dry fire 5 for everyone one live round fired.

I believe that depends on the handgun.

For example: The manual that comes with a Glock encourages you to dry fire it, while the Kel-Tec manual says not to dry fire a KT.

Check with your handgun's manual. :)
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Also if your gonna dry fire use snap caprs Gun techonlogy has come a long way in the past few years .

Even HK's have suffered broken firing pins from guys saying they dry fired a ton So use snap caps all should be good

Lead Moderator
    Wow, never realized so may problems with dry firing. I have done so moderately, but since I started training w/ airsoft not as much.

Senior Moderator
    Sigs have had some broken firing pins from dry firing IIRC. But we're probably talking about huge reps.

I asked Gunsite about snap caps. They said they don't recommend them because there's just so much risk that sooner or later, a live round is going to get in the gun instead of a snap cap. Their position was no ammo or anything that looks like ammo for dry fire. The interesting thing is, their pro shop sells the metal case snap caps.

Assistant Administrator
    They said they don't recommend them because there's just so much risk that sooner or later, a live round is going to get in the gun instead of a snap cap.
    There could be some substance to that but in fact - if anyone dry firing treats that gun as loaded anyways and follows rule #2 - then even if there was a discharge of a live round, no one gets hurt.

In essence - dry fire requires all the safety rules - just because no bang every time, still need to be scupulous on safety.

I favor snap caps, the ones with spring loaded ''primer'' - I reckon anything that cushions FP blow has to be helpful. Was a time when dry fire of a rimfire was bad because of peening the breech face - in fact I still think that tho Ruger seemingly does not forbid dry fire IIRC on MkII type guns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Near forgot - welcome along Martin
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Im pretty sure ruger says no on dry fire for a mark II that it can peeen the chamber i could be wrong memory is fuzzy must be drugs from having a tooth pulled

Older model rimfires shouldn't be dry-fired, cause the pin will dent the chamber. It is O.K. to do so with newer model rimfires.

Unless its my Glock, or 10/22. I dont dryfire any of my firearms without a snapcap. Not like replacing a pin is the end of the world. Its that I dont want the pin to break when I need the pin the most. I have a old Ruger "Standard" Model .22. I go as far as to count how many shots I use, to keep this beauty in shape.

Links