Virgina Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount

This is a discussion on Virgina Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ABC News: Virginia Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount Give a read and make a comment......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virgina Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount

Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Virginia Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount

Preface: Read the story in whole. This offer is not just good to students but to everyone!

As reported by ABCNews.com:

Virginia Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount

Dealer Says Campuses Safer If Students Can Protect Themselves
    By MADDY SAUER
    April 24, 2008

The owner of an Internet-based firearms store that sold a gun to Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho says he is now offering a discount for students who want to carry guns on campus to protect themselves. The company, TGSCOM Inc., also sold two 9mm Glock magazines to Steven Kazmierczak, who killed five people at Northern Illinois University earlier this year.

The owner of TGSCOM, Eric Thompson, announced today that for the next two weeks he will sell firearms at cost in the hopes of targeting students who may be on a tight budget. Customers will have over 5,400 different kinds of firearms from which to choose.

"This offer allows students and people who might not have otherwise been able to afford a weapon to purchase one at a hefty discount and at a significant expense to myself," Thompson told ABCNews.com.

A spokesperson for Virginia Tech said that Thompson's remarks and offer are "incredibly insensitive to the families of the victims who lost loved ones, and to the injured students still recovering from this horrendous tragedy," said Larry Hincker, the Associate Vice President for University Relations.

Gun control advocates also call Thompson's special offer "shameless".

"He's arming the criminals and then telling the rest of us to buy guns so we can protect ourselves from the criminals he's armed," said Peter Hamm, communications director for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

While gun control advocates acknowledge that Thompson has a right to make this offer, they say this is yet another example of the gun industry trying to profit from gun violence.

"What this shows is that to the gun industry, gun violence is at best an abstract concept and at worst a business opportunity," said Josh Sugarmann, the Executive Director of the Violence Policy Center.

"No matter how these products are used against citizens, the answer is always more guns when in fact these problems stem from the fact that there are too many guns out there already," Sugarmann told ABCNews.com.

Thompson says that the fact that the college campus killers Cho and Kazmierczak bought products from his site has only made him more adamant that students should be allowed to legally carry guns on campus.

"The next news story I want to be involved in is how I sold a firearm to someone who helped stop a mass murderer. By forgoing a profit, I hope to help give law-abiding citizens the tools to prevent tragedy," he said.

Hamm says Thompson's logic angers him. "He's so upset about his sales that he wants more sales," Hamm told ABCNews.com.

Thompson acknowledges that many private colleges ban guns on campus.

"The second amendment still stands," said Thompson. "I don't see why state laws and university policy should dictate and override people's right to defend themselves."

Thompson will be in Blacksburg, Virginia tomorrow speaking to Virginia Tech students who are in favor of allowing people to carry concealed weapons on campus. Current Virginia law prohibits carrying concealed weapons on college campuses.

Virginia Tech officials say that while Thompson certainly has a right to say what he wants, they are stunned that he would actually visit the school to tout guns on campus.

"Free speech is a hallmark of university life," said Hincker. "Still, I find it terribly offensive to learn that the gun-seller of the weapons used in the Virginia Tech campus murders would set foot on this campus."

The story can be found at; ABC News: Virginia Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount
    A press release by the stor owner can be found at; Owner of Web-based Firearms Company that Sold to Virginia Tech and NIU Shooters to Forgo Profits to Help Prevent Future Loss of Life - Owner of Web-based Firearms Company that Sold to Virginia Tech and NIU Shooters to Forgo Profits to Help Prevent Fu
    The 'deal' can be found at; gunsatcost.com

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Awesome. I will never understand how people can demonize an individual for making a legal sale of an item that is later used in a crime, as if he had any knowledge that it would be so.

Now the guy is doing the right thing. Awesome!!!

My only question is this: are the prices listed on his site right now the "cost" prices? They seem like normal retail to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    My only question is this: are the prices listed on his site right now the "cost" prices? They seem like normal retail to me.
    I would think the listed prices will not change. If you are student, you will get a different price. You would probably have to contact them to get that price.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    The owner of TGSCOM, Eric Thompson, announced today that for the next two weeks he will sell firearms at cost in the hopes of targeting students who may be on a tight budget. Customers will have over 5,400 different kinds of firearms from which to choose.

"This offer allows students and people who might not have otherwise been able to afford a weapon to purchase one at a hefty discount and at a significant expense to myself,"
    Sounds to me that anyone is eligible, but I wonder how you would expect to "target" anyone that can't affort a firearm at retail, if you continue to list them at retail? There is nothing on the site explaining how to receive the discount.

Edit-- Upon further research, it appears there are multiple ways to enter the site. Going to Buy Guns Online - Guns, Accessories and more will allow you to see the prices, with marked discounts. I had gone to tgscom.com which only shows the retail. Confusing :D
    Last edited by TacticalCompact; April 24th, 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: ahah!

Once again they try to make the dealer out to be a criminal,and They say he'a in it for the money'if you're in it for the money you don't sell stuff at cost,now i'm suure people may buy accessories but once again Brady's rants are full of holes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hmm I can't seem to add a comment even after registering. They must be selectively censoring.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Not going to add mine I imagine, but I'm posted here.

I wish a lot of you would look at the real history of the Wild West and not what you've gotten via fiction novels and Hollywood. It was safer than the "civilized" East in the 19th century by a long shot.

I will never understand the irrationality of blaming an inanimate object for what an individual has done. It's patently ridiculous.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I have his speach on video. I will post it after I upload it and if I can find a good place to host it.

Not certain i agree with his decision to advertise to students who want to carry on campus, since its not explicitly legal to carry on campus most places. But other than that, I don't have a problem with what he does.

I would like to mention that I think it is absurd that students with CPL can not carry on an open campus. I don't know anything about VT's campus, and I don't really care. According to opencarry.org's campus carry map, laws in VA are similar to laws in AL in that it is not explicitly allowed or denied on a public college campus. In Lee County, AL our sheriff has the authority to restrict concealed carry and he uses that power to disallow carry on the wide open campus of Auburn University, where Lauren Burk was assaulted not too long ago (I don't know for a fact that she was actually assaulted on campus grounds, but I think that is immaterial to the point I'm attempting to make). So, according to AL state law, its not explicitly illegal to carry on campus, AU has a policy banning handguns and long guns on campus, and the Sheriff prohibits carry on AU campus (I'm certain that has something to do with funding, political influence and the good ol' boy network). Oh, and the Auburn University Police department was absorbed into the City of Auburn Police department a few years ago, so there are few LEOs on campus (AU is host to 24,000 students and the last time I was on campus I saw... maybe three).

Sorry. My simple statement turned into a bit of a rant, didn't it. Oh well.
    mavis

Mavis - remember that the people SCCC is talking about letting carry already carry off campus (IE people like YOU). Go off of facts, not emotions.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Now I know what I want to spend my Tax rebate on......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

And what did the liberal university staff say - that he was in-sennn-sa-tive!

"Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavis311 View Post
    In Lee County, AL our sheriff has the authority to restrict concealed carry and he uses that power to disallow carry on the wide open campus of Auburn University, where Lauren Burk was assaulted not too long ago (I don't know for a fact that she was actually assaulted on campus grounds, but I think that is immaterial to the point I'm attempting to make). So, according to AL state law, its not explicitly illegal to carry on campus, AU has a policy banning handguns and long guns on campus, and the Sheriff prohibits carry on AU campus (I'm certain that has something to do with funding, political influence and the good ol' boy network). Oh, and the Auburn University Police department was absorbed into the City of Auburn Police department a few years ago, so there are few LEOs on campus (AU is host to 24,000 students and the last time I was on campus I saw... maybe three).
    Actually the sheriff of Lee County only has the ability to restrict concealed carry of persons to whom he issues a concealed carry permit (in Alabama called a Pistol Permit). He has not authority over my concealed carry permit which is issued in Perry County. I don't plan to visit my alma mater in the near future, but if I were to visit my decision whether to carry or not would not be based upon the sheriff's restrictions. I would decide whether I would violate a institutional policy which would in no way violate the law.

Be that as it may, I don't know if the owner of TGS is wise in his actions, but I support his right to do so.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links