S&W 642 finish

This is a discussion on S&W 642 finish within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got this 642 that I carry everyday. I've only had it almost two months and in that time I haven't treated it with kid ...

Thread: S&W 642 finish

I've got this 642 that I carry everyday. I've only had it almost two months and in that time I haven't treated it with kid gloves or whatever. My view is that the gun is a tool and I carry and practice with it in such a way. This gun is certainly no collector's piece, it was designed and built to be carried. So anyway, the gun has received a bit of wear. Especially in the backstrap area where the finish is noticeably coming off. Its worn a little in other places, but the backstrap is the most obvious. I don't have any intention of parting with this gun any time in the foreseeable future, but I wonder how this will affect its value and whether I could have it blued or something. The frame, of course, is aluminum and I don't know anything about blueing. Its not an immediate concern... I'm just curious. Anyone have any thoughts?

Here are a couple of pics of the gun:

In the full shot, you can see a little wear on the frame above the cylinder release. You can also see, on the cylinder, the only time I've dropped a gun part while cleaning. The cylinder fell a foot or so onto concrete. Didn't make me happy, but it should still shoot the same. It just has more character now.

The other pic is a close-up of the backstrap and its wear.
    Attached Images
    mavis

2. Remove Ads

It's a tool. It is going to get wear on it. I have carried mine for years, ALWAYS in a holster. Look at the wear on the cylinder....

It will have wear.....just personality......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

First, how about giving S&W Customer Service a call. They may just remedy it for you. If you want a refinish, I believe Robar can NP3 it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    On a carry gun I'd leave it alone unless it really bothers you.
    Just gives it character and folks who see it will know you're not a newbie gunner.

As soon as you walked out of the gun shop with it (still in the box) it is termed a used gun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks very much for the input! The finish wear doesn't really bother me, I'm not terribly concerned about the looks of my carry companion.

One day I may decide to sell the 642, but I'd surprise myself if I did. Its the first revolver I've ever fired and the first handgun I've ever actually owned, so in those respects I suppose it has something of a sentimental value for me. And in addition to that, I really enjoy shooting it!

I returned home a couple of hours ago with a copy of Guns&Ammo Handguns. I don't normally buy gun mags, I just read the articles I have a slight interest in at the rack. It was "The Well-Dressed Gun" column by Greg Rodriguez titled "Souping up the Snubbie" (June/July 2008) that caught my eye. He had his 642 dressed up nicely. A gunsmith milled off the front ramp sight and replaced it with a much larger tritium dot sight. The smith also widened the rear sight channel, gave it a trigger job, chamfered the cylinder openings and bead-blasted and refinished the frame. Add to this laser grips and I'm envious.

Maybe in a couple of years, I'll have the cash to upgrade this wonderful little gun.
    mavis

Links