took the girlfriend to the range

This is a discussion on took the girlfriend to the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my girlfriend to the range today and let her fire a real gun for the first time. ok, it was just my browning ...

I took my girlfriend to the range today and let her fire a real gun for the first time. ok, it was just my browning buckmark .22lr, but it was the first thing she'd fired bigger than a BB gun. she did great! handled it well, shot awesome, and was very safe--never had to repeat the safety instructions. i let her shoot about 100 rounds through it, and i reloaded my .45 and shot it while she reloaded the .22. she had a blast and before we left, as i was ogling the pocket pistols, she made several comments about wanting to handle one, but the staff was swamped and i wasn't buying so i didn't bother them. i'll be taking her back next week though, and i'll see if i can't talk her into letting my buy her a little .380 or 9mm. then i just have to teach her how to use it and get her to carry :). one step at a time, though.

Nice job! Shooting Sports +1

I've been doing the same thing with my wife. So far she's sticking to .22's...but as you said, one step at a time.
    If you own a handgun and your state law allows it, please carry.

GREAT JOB!!! MRHUTCH, you can look at my blogs, I'm no expert but the most important 2 points you did right from the start. Keep it SAFE and FUN! Go slow, let her choose what gun and what caliber to shoot...and the hardest is let her decide what gun to buy. it's got to fit her hand and unless she's a very quick study she has to learn safety, stance, grip, trigger control, ammunition selection, types of firearms (auto and wheel guns) and all the other stuff.
    She doesn't have to be an expert, but she needs to know enough about how to drive the car before she buys one. Most ladies I've know buy one and thats it. (they are the opposite of guys on multiple guns like we are on needing 20 pairs of shoes.)
    Take her again and plan on the .22. She can learn all she needs on a 22. SAFETY and FUN, grip, stance, breathing, trigger control and I can about BET you she will ask to shoot one of the other guns you brought along. (9mm or such).
    My 70 year old mom and auntie are now using guns and they started decades after your girlfriend did, go slow and you will have made a memory for her for life. You might not marry this one, but you will always be her first to "get her into guns."
    And God willing, she will never have to use one in defense, but if she ever did....then you will really have helped someone.

On getting her to the point where she will get a license to carry. thats way way down the road, unless she is very different then most. I take it you and she are in your 20's. Just don't push. If you can "happen" to find a ladies CCW class in your area that can help. My friend taught his wife and then when he got to the point where he couldn't teach her anymore (wink) he introduced her to the female instructor, who did teach her many new things he hadn't noticed and SHE came back to him and said "I'm going to sigh up for the CCW class that she teaches."
    He had tried to get her to get the license and then he took the "back road", as he called it.

Just my .02 great job, good luck and don't forget to have fun.
    I'm not an instructor, but I can teach the basics to others and it's fun to get others into a position where if they ever needed to they could use a handgun to defend them selfs.

Nothing better than a 'mate' who enjoys shooting WITH you (as opposed to, at you...)...great start to a great relationship...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 26th, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Pretty soon she will be giving you a gun and you will be giving her a diamond.

Now if you can just get her to understand that guns are so much prettier than diamonds. And the stainless steel ones shine just as much and....oh never mind. It is a hopeless cause.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Pretty soon she will be giving you a gun and you will be giving her a diamond.

Now if you can just get her to understand that guns are so much prettier than diamonds. And the stainless steel ones shine just as much and....oh never mind. It is a hopeless cause.
    no, no, your right. "stainless steal is forever." was stolen by those diamond guys. I say 3 months salarie for her diamond ring and 3 months of her salarie for her "bridal gun" to him. sounds very very romantic to me.

COOL.

Lots of small woman have no problems shooting .40 and .45 cal guns. Let her try what she wants is my way of introduction after the .22 and the 9mm intro.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Talking Caution!!

The last time I took a girlfriend to the shooting range I ended up married to her!! N that was 32 years ago, she lets me buy any gun I want, reloading supplies, goes to gun shows with me, and has her CCW as well, so if yours fits this description, congratulations she is a keeper.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

haha, we've been dating for almost 2 years now and we both recently turned 21, so i can finally take her to the range. i never could get her to go out to my hunting property to use the range there, as soon as i mentioned the outhouse that was a no-go lol. she still says she could never shoot anyone, and still gives me grief for how much money i spent on my xd (as opposed to buying her presents, lol), but she was intrigued by the guns on the shelf and really likes shooting. i've taught her the neutral stance/straight-thumbs grip and she was putting 10 rounds, rather quickly, in a 3" circle at 7 yards. she still doesn't just "grab" the gun like she should, so i don't want to hand her the .45 until she gets more confident in her grip--i'd hate for her to be turned off by larger calibers because of the un-expected recoil from a poor grip.

Links