Range - Wife's practice (and SIG 220.)

This is a discussion on Range - Wife's practice (and SIG 220.) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK this was a lot into quite a short time this afternoon - barely 2 hours. Range was all ours except for a guy packing ...

Assistant Administrator

OK this was a lot into quite a short time this afternoon - barely 2 hours. Range was all ours except for a guy packing up as we arrived - just as I like it! Mrs P95 long overdue some practice and I wanted to try Gary's SIG out quickly. Unfortunately Sue (from this thread ) could not make it but we'll get her range session tomorrow. That is quite urgent.

So, what did my wife shoot and what results?. Well we started out with her snub (my venerable M85) - she did OK but I have had some concerns that while she shoots my M66 amazingly well, the snub is just too much hard work for DA - she cannot get her shots staying close enough. Time to change, which I had been anticipating.

Having set up Sue with a Bersa Thunder yesterday (which I hope we'll get her shooting well tomorrow), decided that this could well be a good choice too for Mrs P95, and she has tried a number of other semi's, they being usually just too large for her comfort, plus we have a ''fit the purse'' consideration too. She has fired 9mm and even .45acp but hand size, strength, purse fit etc - all preclude them for now. I am working towards actually eventually upgrading her on gun and sorting her out with a rig to suit.

So - much time spent of course on manual of arms, which she grasped pretty quick and soon had some technique with slide op' and controls generally. After a session of dry fire and practice loading, unloading, showing clear - we started live fire, just at 7 yards. Wow! Was this ever a good transition! She was straight away well in and around the 3" orange sticker center with just a couple or so going real low - she knows why and so do I - poking the muzzle down!

I won't bore you with much more detail on that but suffice to say - she loves this lil' gun! I know it's only .380 but heck, if she can put 'em where it matters then it is way better than the snub with 38 spl. She did suffer a bit of bite at one point when she let her grip change a bit - base of thumb got a bit of impact from beavertail - again, easily corrected, which she did. Thank heaven for a gunny enough wife who is a quick learner - bless this woman of mine

Now we just have to make sure she gets enough further dry fire practice and some more regular range live fire time.

I took other guns along, partly to run thru manual of arms, to make sure she can pick up about anything, and safely ''make it work''! I was wanting to try Gary's 220 but time was getting short so we finished the session with me just putting 8 rounds thru that - see target below. This was first rounds thru for me - sweet!!!! I shot those from the leather on purpose and that errant shot was my DA first shot - often get similar from 226 when really rushing!! I am still happy with that - this was no attempt at bullseye!

Finally - eight rounds thru the Mak which I had not shot in a long while. Same again - rapid fire and I was pleasantly surprised that shots were fairly around center. All in all a valuable session. Sorry this was so long (?Tangle length LOL ).

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Its always fun to go shooting, especialy when you can bring and teach somoene. The target looks good, that 220 should get the job done if ever called upon.

8 Rounds boy thats no where near enough hope you get out tomm for some more shooting i was wanting to go but not sure if i can right now .. Sure cant shoot the 500 if i go where the action shots this time

Assistant Administrator
    8 - no not enough at all! But priority was wife's shooting.

Hope tomorrow if I get Sue and her old man to the range that after getting her dialed in with the Bersa then hopefully put another two or three mags thru the 220.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

MagSafe

P95, My wife also shoots a .380. She has two Sig 232's in SS. She has tried others, mostly .38 revolvers. Her hand sttrength has deteriorated with age, so she feels comfortable with the .380 and can handle the DA first round. I keep her loaded with MagSafe. In .380 its a 60 gr. bullet delivered at 1500 FPS and 300 Ft. Lbs at the muzzle. Seven of these ought to do the job.

Assistant Administrator
    Good idea OG - I have yet to get some SD ammo and that one sounds good tho IIRC it is very costly. In shorter term it'll just be the 90 grain std ammo - and I reckon when ''down'' at .380 level hardball is still adequately effective with good placement.
    Chris - P95

I know the feeling on not having enough time to shoot - I was the official rangemaster and host for seven friends yesterday and between photos and individual gun instruction (I brought about 20 handguns and a dozen rifles), I think I fired 50 rounds all day.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Links