Reliability

Reliability

This is a discussion on Reliability within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Reliability OK, I know that a weapon’s reliability depends on a lot of things including the ammo used and whether or not the weapon “likes” ...

Thread: Reliability

Reliability

Reliability

OK, I know that a weapon’s reliability depends on a lot of things including the ammo used and whether or not the weapon “likes” that particular ammo. I know that some pistols will work well with one type/brand of ammo while becoming prone to jams with another type/brand of ammo.

So, here is my question…

You have found defensive ammo that your pistol “likes” and it functions well when you have a good grip on the pistol AND that pistol is not “prone to failure” when using FMJ rounds in odd positions like sideways, upside down and when “limp wristing”. Would that pistol, with this defensive ammo that it “likes”, still need to be tested in these “odd” positions or would you expect it to perform the same as it does with FMJ ammo?

In other words, once I have found defensive ammo that my pistol “likes” do I still need to test it in odd positions and angles for reliability?

Thanks

Senior Moderator
    A pistol that cycles reliably right side up isn't going to have an issue being upside down or sideways, in my experience.

I wouldn't get too excited about testing your chosen defensive load while hanging upside-down.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    As long as my carry weapons can shoot between my legs, I'm OK. Just kidding. I wouldn't worry about it.

What you might want to consider is if you can perform at odd angles. Clint Smith had a good segment on Personal Defense TV. He was shooting from various angles, performing 1 handed reloads, over barricades, etc.

I think if you're 'limp wristing' a pistol, you're taking a 50/50 chance anyway. I would also try to keep from being in a position where the ejection port of a semi automatic pistol is facing near or straight up twelve o'clock. Other than that, I would expect my PD ammo to function the same or better than with practice or ball ammo. I could also be wrong.

Sponsored Links