Shooting injury

This is a discussion on Shooting injury within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nothing serious, but Sunday we were out shooting (my girlfriend and her family) when she thought her AR wasn't working properly. I asked to try ...

Thread: Shooting injury

Lead Moderator

Shooting injury

Nothing serious, but Sunday we were out shooting (my girlfriend and her family) when she thought her AR wasn't working properly. I asked to try it and forgot I was shooting a Rightie AR ( I have a Stag LH). The brass ejected /stovepiped hard into my right hand gripping the magwell. I think the mag she was using was the problem.
    A little blood and burned skin for my troubles , but the AR seemed to work o.k. (might be a bad mag). We had a fun time shooting AR's , a 22-250 bolt gun , a shotgun and various pistols. No pics of the shooting as I wanted to keep an eye on some of the newbie shooters present.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Too bad rocky, at least it was your off-hand.

Very possibly the mag, as AR's can be particular of those. What symptoms was it having?

5.56 brass can suck, those things come out hot. My neck and upper back have some nice scars from burns left by casings that went down my flak, and had to remain their until the firing was complete.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Double feed / stove pipe (only once) . Cheap/ no name $9 mags . The gun seemed to run fine thru all the other ammo.
    I think I have been burned by every caliber I have shot at one time or another. Funniest burn was the '06 mouth burning a perfect circle on my right cheek from the ejection on a Rem. semi rifle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Double feeds with AR's in my experience seem to be from mags more often than not. Usually when the mag is about full.

Yup, burns happen, thats what neosporin is for, although I've never had to explain circles burned on my cheeks. At least with scope bite you can tell a tall one about that huge guy at the bar you had a disagreement with.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Just tell people that you caught a .223 bullet in your bare hands and saved someone's life. Superman would do no less.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Injuries at the range

I would love to have a nickel for every time I have come home from the range with a bite or a burn like that, I have an old Colt 1911 that loves to bite me in the web of my shooting hand. I have also had several rounds eject from it and fly back into the open neck of my polo shirt; I still have the scare from one round. This is one reason why no matter the temperature I always wear a t-shirt to the range. I have been bitten several times by other weapons. Shoot long enough and you'll end up with a collection of scars and marks on your hands.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    Kimber CDP fullsize Kimber CDP Ultra
    Colt Combat Commander Colt Goverment 1991
    Springfield Armory 1911-a1 Sig Sauer GSR 1911

I'm a 1911 guy.

VIP Member
    Ouch, that had to hurt. Worst one I ever had was shooting Speer 140gr semi-jacketed hp's, a shaved piece of jacket caught me in the left cheek, a good reminder to always to wear shooting glasses.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Too bad rocky, at least it was your off-hand.

Very possibly the mag, as AR's can be particular of those. What symptoms was it having?

5.56 brass can suck, those things come out hot. My neck and upper back have some nice scars from burns left by casings that went down my flak, and had to remain their until the firing was complete.
    I know the feeling :p During field fire we had one kid throw his rifle, full mag, on burst in front of him when he got hot brass down the neck. He is now one rank lower.

Good thing the burn is on the off hand and isn't too bad. I've never had any problems with my AR. I've had a few mals with military rifles though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Administrator

Post Slightly Off Topic But Applicable.

A good time to remind all of the forum members to treat all wounds no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.
    There are some right deadly mutated bacteria floating around outdoors these days.
    Most cases go unreported in anything other than the local news.
    Almost completely resistant to even the Super Antibiotics.
    The two cases that I know of personally in PA. - one happened from a football shoe cleat and the other from a thorn puncture.

The football cleat "scratch" almost killed the guy.
    I believe that the thorn puncture did kill that woman.
    After a couple of days he went into the hospital thinking he sprained his leg and had severe leg pain and then started feeling sick.
    Luckily a doctor who happened to be in the hospital at the time giving a talk toured the hospital and recognized what this person had.
    Flesh eating bacteria.
    In another 4 or 5 hours he would have been dead.
    The "cure" was to pump him with antibiotics and fillet his leg open like a fish.
    Then they surgically strip away all of the sub skin infected tissue and leave you filleted open to the air since exposure to the air kills the bacteria.
    His one leg is now twice as thin as the other.

There have been other cases in PA and many others around the country but, I don't know the specifics on them.

Treat all cuts, scrapes, wounds, - make puncture wounds bleed and douse all skin injuries with either alcohol, iodine, peroxide, or bleach, & then apply triple antibiotic.

I used to ignore all cuts and wounds & let them heal "naturally" now I don't.
    Keep a First Aid Kit with you or in your vehicle.

In case I have not convinced you...............................

GO TO GOOGLE.COM - Then click to search Google by Images - Type in "flesh eating bacteria" - I will not post any photos here but, ask yourself if you want to risk that after you see the thumbnail photos that pop up in that Google search.
    Those photos will knock the macho man right out of you.

Links