Guns and Knives

Guns and Knives

This is a discussion on Guns and Knives within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a lot of friends that are avid shooters and gun collectors. Ive noticed that MOST of us also have a gazillion knives of ...

Thread: Guns and Knives

Senior Moderator

Smile Guns and Knives

I've got a lot of friends that are avid shooters and gun collectors. Ive noticed that MOST of us also have a gazillion knives of every make,size and purpose...

Since it seems to be a natural thing to collect both, Im wondering why that seems to be. Does anyone out there have an explanation for this wierd type of behaviour ?

I've come to the conclusion that it aint just us here locally...so it cant be a regional thing. Looking at a lot of pictures that are posted on various gun sites along with this one,and seeing all of the knives that reside in the pictures of handguns leads me to believe that there is some sort of unspoken requirement to at least like knives.

Could it be that the same things that many of use find apealling to us when collecting guns apply to knives also or is it some kind of phobia with men that collect things ?

I've been told be a couple of women that is may be a "medical condition" but its not exclusive to men. I know a few woman "gun nuts" that also seem to accumulate knives for some reason.

Any one got an explanation ?

Can someone tell me why I dont need to buy ANOTHER Cold Steel Knife, event though I own dozens of perfectly good knives ?

Administrator

Post This Is Why

Guns & knives - swords & muskets - these sorts of things go together. It's not a medical condition. If it is a medical condition then it's been a medical condition all through our human history.
    We accumulate a variety of good and effective defensive weapons of whatever era we live in.
    The sword & the dagger. The lance and the sword. The 6 shooter and the Bowie. The derringer and the boot knife. The machete and the blowgun. The spear and the boomerang. The knapped flint knife & the club. The crossbow & the short sword.
    The armies of the world do it and the warriors and the soldiers in the armies do it.
    People do not "DO SERIOUS BATTLE" with only one weapon.
    They gather up effective deadly weapons so that they will have them if they need them.
    It's a Human Condition and not a medical condition.
    It dates back to when we were Hunter Gatherers and the small tribal groups stored food, weapons. herbs, furs, etc. To have MORE food and More weapons and MORE of every necessary thing insured survival in a very harsh and unforgivng environment.
    It's part of our ingrained human survival instinct.
    It is a condition that is as old as we are as world people.
    That is my opinion on it.
    MODERN people who do not accumulate weapons accumulate money as a substitute for weaponry & they "BUY" their daily survival with money.
    I could go on and on about it all...but, basically that is why we accumulate defensive tools.

So...if you want another knife then go get one. It's normal.

i think they just go together im not a real big knife collector but i have a few

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Weapons is weapons
    Like em all

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

It's a desire for personal tools. I was just going through my pockets and realized I was carrying yesterday several cutting tools, screwdrivers, pliers, lights, handkercheif, and all the tools that are part of my multitool, zip ties, bandages...

To cut is a very basic human need. A personal tool that enables one to separate matter has untold uses and addresses one of our most primitive needs. As a matter of fact, this is exactly why I consider laws that restrict knives to be barbaric, because the use of personal tools is the cornerstone of society.

It's only natural an interest in a personal tool like a gun would lead to interest in a personal tool like a knife. For me, it kind of happened the other way around. I had knives for many, many years before I had a handgun. I'd say it was interest in knives that led to interest in guns.

What strikes me as amusing is that when I remove all the objects from my person, gun last, it looks very natural to see all of those tools in that small pile together, so much so that even my aunt who doesn't see the point of actually carrying a gun on one's person didn't comment on it. Subconciously, we all acknowledge the need for and uses of personal implements.

Assistant Administrator
    Hard to add anything! QK and Euc have it covered.

Indeed, regardless of any guns and carry element - the need for a cutting implement is for me paramount - lost without it. Even back in school days always had at least small pocket knife - of course then it was acceptable and normal !

Extending that then logically brings us to weapons. We are all defense savvy which is why we are here, and a blade is at least a back-up tool for defense.

I have way more than I need bit not as many as some folks I know!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Now you know you got it bad when your knife says the same thing as the slide on your CCW.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=4768

I've noticed I have a thing for H&K Pistols, Surefire Lights, and Emerson knives.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Links