So let's give some thought to what kind of test - better check this out post #17

So let's give some thought to what kind of test - better check this out post #17

This is a discussion on So let's give some thought to what kind of test - better check this out post #17 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Due to the rare opportunity and expense involved, I want us to be careful about what we really want to gain from the testing. Hence, ...

View Poll Results: What kind of test would be most meaningful to us

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original idea: Stock spring vs reduced power

2 7.69%
  • 1000 rds through four guns (1000 rds each gun)

14 53.85%
  • 2000 rds through two guns (2000 rds each gun)

8 30.77%
  • Other -

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So let's give some thought to what kind of test - better check this out post #17

Senior Moderator

Due to the rare opportunity and expense involved, I want us to be careful about what we really want to gain from the testing. Hence, your input will be invaluable.

From post #33 in the thread, "I'm gonna do a 2000 round no-clean/no-lube test - help me pick a gun... ":
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Since I couldn't go to the 1000 round test, I want to run my own test and I thought I'd use a gun that wasn't used in their test. I don't know that I'll follow the 1000 round test rules exactly, but I should be close.

One has to wonder about the purpose of such testing, although I like it for some odd reason, but it does not reflect a real world situation. E.g. we would never shoot 1000 rounds at a time in a real world setting. We would never shoot 1000 rounds through a gun without lubing and/or cleaning it. I have shot 1800 rounds through my M&P without cleaning it and had zero mals of any kind, BUT, I only shot about 200 rounds at a time and lubed it before each session.

But I think such tests does give us some insight as to where the limits are and what happens as a gun gets dirty. In the 1000 round test, as I understand it, the guns were fired as fast as reasonable and a lot of heat was generated. While that is a factor, in the real world, we wouldn't have enough ammo on us, nor the need to shoot anywhere near 1000 rounds.

So my purpose is to see what happens as a gun gets dirty from shooting many rounds through it, but I anticipate deliberately trying to avoid a lot of heat build up. I haven't decided about cleaning the bore with a bore snake. I'd prefer not to do that, but I'd also prefer not do any damage to my barrel either, so that's kind of a trade off.

I have decided on the ammo though 124 gn NATO FMJ. And since I've decided not to go to a training school this summer, I'm considering diverting the cost of going to a school to ammo. That means I can buy more ammo than I had originally planned to. I could buy 4000 rounds of NATO ammo.

My first thought was to see if a gun shooting range ammo is more reliable with a lower power recoil spring over the stock spring. But I am comfortable that the NATO ammo is a good choice because I've shot a lot of it and it should eliminate the 'range' ammo effect working against stock recoil springs designed for a bit heavier loads.

So the bottom line is, instead of shooting 1000 rounds of range ammo with a stock recoil spring and another 1000 with a lower power recoil spring, we may want to consider other options.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I am curious as to not only how each pistol holds up but also how often do we need to lubricate our pistols as well. I think you have a very important test going on there. I chose option #4.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I am curious as to not only how each pistol holds up but also how often do we need to lubricate our pistols as well. I think you have a very important test going on there. I chose option #4.
    Option #4 is "other", what other would you like to see?

Edit:
    Ahhhh, you mean option #4 stated in the my Quote, right? That's option #2 above. That was confusing, I deleted the options in the quote for clarity sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Option #4 is "other", what other would you like to see?
    I think he was referring to option four from the quote in your OP.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I think he was referring to option four from the quote in your OP.
    Yep, you're a step ahead of me.

Senior Moderator
    OK, who checked "other" and didn't specify what 'other'???

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    OK, who checked "other" and didn't specify what 'other'???
    Wasn't me. I marked option 2.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I voted 2k rounds through 2 guns.

Anything you can do to keep conditions for each gun identical would be worth it in my opinion, even if it's a bit of a PITA.

(i.e. clean them both really well with the same cleaner... lube with the same lube... shoot at the same pace... etc.)
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    I vote 2000rds through 2 guns
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    ...Anything you can do to keep conditions for each gun identical would be worth it in my opinion, even if it's a bit of a PITA.

(i.e. clean them both really well with the same cleaner... lube with the same lube... shoot at the same pace... etc.)
    I hear ya - thanks!

I plan to clean it/them really good and lube them with WeaponShield. QKShooter has experience with this stuff and I'm gonna pick his brain for recommendations about how to apply it.

My mistake, I misread your thread, I would like to see the 2000 round test, or even the 1000 round one if that is more popular. Sorry about the confusion.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    My mistake, I misread your thread, I would like to see the 2000 round test, or even the 1000 round one if that is more popular. Sorry about the confusion.
    No problem at all, I just wanted to be sure that somebody hadn't checked other and forgot or didn't have time to describe other.

1000 through 4 guns, but I want you go get your XD fixed by then.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

4 guns...1000 rounds thru each...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm confused.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links