Range again - Sue's first handgun shoot - and bit more 220

This is a discussion on Range again - Sue's first handgun shoot - and bit more 220 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mainly writing this up as an interest feature re someone's first handgun shoot - it does tho have a bit more importance than some because ...

Thread: Range again - Sue's first handgun shoot - and bit more 220

Assistant Administrator

Mainly writing this up as an interest feature re someone's first handgun shoot - it does tho have a bit more importance than some because of relevance to this thread. Last Friday I helped Sue get her first handgun (Bersa Thunder) to help offset some risk she may be under but - all I could do at that time was go thru the manual of arms - and get her up to speed on handling and safety. She returned home that day with a loaded gun but never having shot it. This was a rush job!

That obviously needed dealt with quick but yesterday she couldn't make it to range with me so - that was my wife's gain, as we got her some good range time - also with my (now her!!) Bersa which suits her better now than my old snub, see this thread.

Today tho - we had a great and more than useful session with Sue, and Brad her old man (who is used to rifle and shotgun but not handgun). Time as ever seemed shorter than I'd have liked but we did achieve a lot. We started off with a recap on the gun ergonomics, and safety matters, including loading and unloading etc, sight picture, dominant eye check. Time came for first shots, after I had shot a mag full myself to check it out as a NIB gun. The sequence that followed with live fire was classic - and what I have seen to some degree or another with many of my students.

Sue's first shot - ''Damn - that was scary'' LOL!! It sounded louder than she expected! Missed paper and hit low on target holder - this was about 5 yards BTW at a piece of plain letter paper. Subsequent shots were still mostly missing but Brad saw as well as me - her flinch and muzzle drop almost each shot. We recapped on technique and tried again - this time one or two good releases which helped her see the difference but still some flinch. Further dry fire drill and then a third mag. By getting her to concentrate on sighting and grip and stance she managed to deal with the flinch and started hitting paper well.

She had a break then Brad tried a magfull - not needed! Heck - he might as well have been shootin' handguns since whenever - good hold, good control - good group. He grinned with satisfaction. Sue was rattled .

Sue back on the line and off she went - this time not even hitting the paper and yet watching her she was way better with muzzle drop - pretty steady. I suspected the problem but tried to make her decide what that was for herself. Asked her what her sight picture was. ''Oh'' she said - ''now I see what I did wrong'' - she had neglected to pay any attention to rearsight at all and was letting foresight be her only point of reference - in fact then shooting way high. Once she reaquainted herself with a correct sight picture we were good to go.

Her shooting then went from just OK to really darned good! She was in control, had lost her shyness with the gun and was hitting way better. By the end of some more mag's I asked her to shoot two at a time and darn it - by end of session she was forming a tight group, the last three shots I remember were within 1/2" of each other. She grinned - we grinned!!

Before packing up, I shot off some old carry ammo thru SIG226 - and let Brad have a magfull with that too - just some plain FMJ stuff - he shot that more than capably and loved the gun's feel. I then wanted to put a few more rounds down thru Gary's 220 - so charged four mags and let rip semi rapid at 7 to 8 yards - a rather small version of the target is below but it'll do - should be 28 shots in there. I seemed to be shooting more to left and a bit low but overall I am still happy with it - and just need to shoot it again a lot. I like the factory grips but I think it'll feel better (like 226) when I have the CT grips fitted soon and this may affect my hold usefully.

My target frame is old to point of near falling apart and the target was not held down very well, wind also blowing it up a bit - so backing was not doing much thus ragged holes in some areas - only really had backing contact upper black. Oh well - did the job. Brad had a mag of 45 too last thing - he liked that too!

End result - I can now relax a bit as both Sue and Brad have the measure of the Bersa and are suitably competent - but next session, soon I hope, we will progress to go from further single shot practice to more rapid shooting - mostly for Sue. There is a spot near their house where they can go practice a bit too - which I have encouraged. It is most satisfying to see the improvement - I now feel she is in control and equipped if need be.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good Deal Glad ya got out shooting the 220 and got sue out to shoot a good thing you have done for her indeed

Assistant Administrator
    Just an update - Sue went to local SO beginning of week and now has her CCW!

Next step is getting a decent belt and then a rig - plus next training session - next Sunday maybe.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Just an update - Sue went to local SO beginning of week and now has her CCW!

Next step is getting a decent belt and then a rig - plus next training session - next Sunday maybe.
    That's great! My wife enjoys shooting but I have been unsuccessful in convincing her to get her CHL.

Good Deal glad she got her CCW ..

Assistant Administrator
    HV - is that avatar - a ''ventilated'' orange LOL?? Or just a smilie shot into an orange sticker, which on closer inspection is what it must be. Whichever - cool!!
    Chris - P95

Talking

hehe, yeah it's a sticker dot and 5 shots from my SA Champion. It's my jack-o-lantern.

Assistant Administrator
    Just an update really - got Sue with her old man, and my wife, to range this afternoon. Got thru a fair amount of ammo. This was basically session #2 for live fire.

Huge progress with the girls which was most pleasing - tho still a lot of ground to cover. Both are becoming very adept at handling the guns and loading etc - and shooting way way better. Double taps from retension pretty fair too.

Main concern now is carry methods - both want to stay with purse but realize now winter coming they can both use pocket carry too as an option - with suitable jacket. Neither wants to wear a belt - but I am wondering as the Bersa is not too heavy - whether a paddle OWB
    could work - just on pants waistband, with no belt for stiffening.

Brad shot a couple of mags again thru Bersa - made it look like he'd shot handgun for years - instead of only about his fourth try!!!

Checked out my CT's on 220 - had set them up in office according to iron sights picture - so the two coincided - then on the actual target - perfect!!! No further adjustment needed. Love em.
    Chris - P95

Links