BUG?

BUG?

This is a discussion on BUG? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see a lot of people who ask what kind of BUG should I get. I cant figure this, either that, or I am missing ...

Thread: BUG?

BUG?

I see a lot of people who ask what kind of BUG should I get. I cant figure this, either that, or I am missing something. I always thought the logical thing to carry as a BUG is the same as your primary so this way there is no mixup when the SHTF. Just imagine trying to stuff a Glock mag into a Kimber. is there something here I am not getting??
    Think twice
    Buy once!

A lot of guys seem to like a smaller gun for a bug. That or a wheelgun so it is theoretically more reliable. Whatever fits in your pockets, I guess. I have to make myself carry one. I hate carrying stuff.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If your BUG is the same as your primary, that's an awful lot of steel and weight to be toting around. Not really sure which is the best option. Something like a Kel-Tec p32 or P3AT as a BUG or just carry an additional magazine.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Some folks think of their second guns as true back ups, to be accessed after the first.

Others think of them as a second option, to be accessed as necessary, first or second.

Both camps may or may not plan on comonality of reloads, i.e. the same ammunition and magazines for both guns. This is a relatively new ability unless someone was willing to carry two identical guns. I find the first camp to hold more advocates of commonality of reloads, if not by a large margin.

I, for example, fall into the second option camp, having settled on the combination of compact semi automatic pistol and j-frame revolver. I find the versatility of the j-frame to trump concerns about comonality of reloads.

Best,
    Erik
    God, country, family.

I prefer my BUG to be a J-Frame Airweight Revolver for it's reliability and ability to shoot through a jacket pocket.

I generally carry a .357 Magnum, 1911 or a .45 acp Revolver as my Primary, but have been known to conceal my Glock 19 off duty as well. The only Primary that I can share ammo with is the .357 magnums, so it's not a primary consideration for me.

The reason I carry a BUG is so that I can have a weapon accessable to either hand. One time I had to draw my BUG as my stronghand was occupied with keeping a 12" blade from perforating my gut. That situation actually resolved itself with no shots fired. It's amazing what drunk little old ladies realize when they want to.

OK, maybe I fall in to the lesser camp of having a gun accessable to either hand, but I do so because I know it works. If given a choice I will go for the "Primary" every time, but I spend a lot of time practicing with my BUG.

Biker

Kimber inside my waistband...extra mags inside my waistband....380 in my pocket...extra mag in my other pocket...good to go!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    I live in a relatively quiet part if the country, so I don't carry a BUG. If I was going to be in an area that would call for me to carry a BUG, it would still be something on the line of P-3at size/type. While that platform could be different than a persons primary carry, it does not have a manual safety, just like most wheel guns, so if you were in a panic mode, at worst, all you have to do is pull the trigger.

One other consideration on BUG choices--lets say you are not alone when SHTF. Your partner is unarmed (poor fool) and you need help with the situation, you may even be wounded, what ever the situation is, you partner, given a P-3at type gun, or wheel gun, does not need to know much other than point, and pull the trigger.

But because I don't carry a BUG, my advice probably isn't worth a plug nickel.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I'm with Z, I don't carry one either. But if I did, it would probably be my wife's P232 when she's not home alone. She never carries it, it's her "HD" weapon. Yeah, I know, but she has to start somewhere.

My wife wonders why I keep saying she needs an ankle rig for her gun.

S&W 642 revolver

I believe that a S&W 642 revolver in .38 special may be the best backup gun. It weighs 15 ounces empty and is very concealable with a two finger "boot" grip. It fits in a pocket or IWB easily and will probably never jam or fail to function. I've had this one for about 10 years:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    ^too large for a BUG IMO.

Keltec p3at, Ruger LCP, NAA Guardian .380,Rohrbaugh R9, Seecamp LWS...Maybe a Kahr pm9 for the size of a wheelgun.

I don't carry a BUG, but as one poster said, I live in a quiet place. I also moved up from my Keltec p3at EDC to a Kahr Cw-9 as my EDC, so I feel alot more comfortable with one more round, and its more powerful and accurate. I also carry two folders,...

Maybe I'm just short sighted, but I haven't felt that my BUG should carry ammo interchangeably with my primary. I realize that we should train for the worst case scenario, but I think someone earlier quoted the Coast Guard trainer's statement of "3 shots, 3 to 5 feet, in 3 seconds" as the typical exchange for self defense. I guess I expect that if the primary carry (either 1911 or Makarov) fails, the BUG (P3AT in my case) will see action, and if I've used up all those rounds, I should've run for the shottie or the lever faster. With most people holding at least 7 rounds in a semi-auto, plus another 7 in the BUG, that's a good bit of insurance. I prefer that my primary be a larger round than what most BUGs will hold, but still like the smaller BUG for the office, etc.

Administrator
    It all depends on what your reasons are for carrying a BUG.

Ammo interchangeability between my BUG & my Primary is not an important issue for me personally.

I carry a BUG in the unlikely event that my Primary suffers a catastrophic failure.

In case some BGperp gets the drop on me and I (whoops! deep doo doo) need to surrender my Primary.

Another unlikely but, possible circumstance is that I may take an unexpected hard fall and mayhaps lose immediate control of my Primary as in it may go flying.

Having to do a NYReload is always a slim possibility.

Also in the event that I am severely injured AKA broken or gunshot to my strong side arm - I can "support side" go for my left side BUG.

Due to my Primary carry location (canted and immediately behind my strong side hip) going for the secondary BUG is easier, faster, and less problematic than clearing leather on my strong side with my left side support arm.

Also nice to have a second firearm handy on the chance that I may need to arm some other trusted individual to "C my A" depending on the scenario that unfolds.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't leave the house without at least 2 guns (no...I'm really not a nut job...well...)

However they're not the same types...typically one is a 1911 variant and the other is a Glock model 26...backed up by either a NAA arms mini revolver or my Beretta .22 (the only Beretta I give house room to)

I carry a SP 101 in 357 as my BUG. If it comes to a SHTF thing and I'm pulling my BUG, I'm not worrying about anything except the next shot. Extra mags and ammo are something that I'll never need.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thanks for the great reasons. I took notes.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It all depends on what your reasons are for carrying a BUG.

Ammo interchangeability between my BUG & my Primary is not an important issue for me personally.

I carry a BUG in the unlikely event that my Primary suffers a catastrophic failure.

In case some BGperp gets the drop on me and I (whoops! deep doo doo) need to surrender my Primary.

Another unlikely but, possible circumstance is that I may take an unexpected hard fall and mayhaps lose immediate control of my Primary as in it may go flying.

Having to do a NYReload is always a slim possibility.

Also in the event that I am severely injured AKA broken or gunshot to my strong side arm - I can "support side" go for my left side BUG.

Due to my Primary carry location (canted and immediately behind my strong side hip) going for the secondary BUG is easier, faster, and less problematic than clearing leather on my strong side with my left side support arm.

Also nice to have a second firearm handy on the chance that I may need to arm some other trusted individual to "C my A" depending on the scenario that unfolds.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Links