thinking about trading in my XD

This is a discussion on thinking about trading in my XD within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought this XD 9 service about two weeks ago, and ran my first 100 rounds through it at the range yesterday. It went bang ...

Thread: thinking about trading in my XD

I bought this XD 9 service about two weeks ago, and ran my first 100 rounds through it at the range yesterday. It went bang every single time and it was fairly accurate, but it just doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling like my Kahr CW9 does. The XD feels good in my hand, but it seems like the Kahr was tailored for me, it's just perfect. Maybe it's the double stack, or the plain black finish.. but it just feels boring. Or, maybe I just have the bug and need to buy new guns.

I thought about getting a Sig 229, but it just doesn't feel right in my hands. It's a little too thick. The glock 19 feels the same, too thick and awkward. I really want a 1911, but 45 is so expensive and I'm concerned that both of my guns have such a small magazine capacity, I guess 7+1 is enough though for most realistic situations. I think I'll probably go with a springfield loaded, either the champion 4'' or the full sized.. not sure yet, but they're pricey, so I'm gonna have to trade this XD in. How much do you think I can get for this XD 9mm 4''?
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

JD
    Administrator
    Your GOING to take a loss on a trade, whatever they go for new, subtract $150-$200 and that's probably what your going to get in a trade.

If you've got a good relationship with the shop, they might give you more if you're getting another gun from them.

Your best bet to get a decent amount on it is to sell it yourself.

The reasons for this, is that in order for the shop to make a profit, they need to give you less than what they will sell it for at a used price, that percentage is money lost to you.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomHDM View Post
    I bought this XD 9 service about two weeks ago, and ran my first 100 rounds through it at the range yesterday. It went bang every single time and it was fairly accurate, but it just doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling like my Kahr CW9 does. The XD feels good in my hand, but it seems like the Kahr was tailored for me, it's just perfect. Maybe it's the double stack, or the plain black finish.. but it just feels boring. Or, maybe I just have the bug and need to buy new guns.

I thought about getting a Sig 229, but it just doesn't feel right in my hands. It's a little too thick. The glock 19 feels the same, too thick and awkward. I really want a 1911, but 45 is so expensive and I'm concerned that both of my guns have such a small magazine capacity, I guess 7+1 is enough though for most realistic situations. I think I'll probably go with a springfield loaded, either the champion 4'' or the full sized.. not sure yet, but they're pricey, so I'm gonna have to trade this XD in. How much do you think I can get for this XD 9mm 4''?
    IMO you should try to find a face to face buyer. They will usually pay more than you get in a trade. In my area, on the other side of CONUS from you, trade in's that are fresh fetch about 1/2 price. If you bought it for $500 you'd be lucky to finagle $275-300.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

You'll always lose on a trade...you'd be surprised how much you get for a 'used' gun at the 'gunshop'...they have to make $$ too!

Keep it, you will probably regret selling it later...always do!

Stay armed...keep your guns...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I believe that your 7+1 capacity of 9mm from your Kahr would handle most any social problem you are bound to run into barring a full scale riot. I also think you should try to sell your XD on DC in the members buy/sell/trade section. I also noticed that you had mentioned several pistols as being too thick, leading me to believe that you have average to smaller sized hands like I do. Have you looked at the Sig P239 as it is a single stack magazine pistol with a little more capacity than your Kahr. You also can get it in .40 or .357 sig if you want more power in your next pistol.

I haven't fondled the Sig 239 but I will definitely look into it before the next purchase. Thanks for the replies.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I own an XD 45 as my only pistol currently. I love the XD's, however, I did handle an HK recently and it felt sweet! It was tiny compared to the XD and it fit my hand just right. Too expensive for me to justify though, but you might give it a go as an alternative to buying another Kahr. I too am looking at Kahr for a summer pocket carry gun.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I believe that your 7+1 capacity of 9mm from your Kahr would handle most any social problem you are bound to run into barring a full scale riot. I also think you should try to sell your XD on DC in the members buy/sell/trade section. I also noticed that you had mentioned several pistols as being too thick, leading me to believe that you have average to smaller sized hands like I do. Have you looked at the Sig P239 as it is a single stack magazine pistol with a little more capacity than your Kahr. You also can get it in .40 or .357 sig if you want more power in your next pistol.

My thoughts exactly.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

HKR
    The best shops in my area give about 60% of the firearms's value.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    It's a shame the 229 feels too big for your hand, because they are really nice shooters. It fits nicely in mine, and since I got the Hogue rubber grips, it feels like it holds my hand more than I hold it. But then, I don't like the feel of the thinner guns.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Like everyone said, if you trade it now, you literally just threw away $200+, when you could have rented it for $10 and discovered the same. I'd keep it for at least another couple of months to let the buyer's remorse wear off. It won't be worth any less 6 months from now than it is now, even if you shoot another 1,000 rounds through it in a training course - something you would NOT want to do with your little Kahr.

Trade-in value on my XD-40 at the local sporting-goods store (Scheels in Sioux Falls, SD) was $280 a few months ago. Something to think about...

Sponsored Links