Defensive Carry banner

Need some guidence on my next purchase

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Slim_45 
#1 ·
Ok ill be honest iam younger & ive never really been into 1911 style pistols :ahhhhh: now before you get all excited iam actually looking now. I want a .45 that i can CCW instead of all my 9mm's & different from what i already have currently (glock,M&P,kahr). Now iam picky & i want something cool looking but not too flashy. Also i want it to be easily concealed & of course reliable. Now i hear all the 1911 problem storys all the time & i guess thats why i kinda shy'd away from them. My Glock & M&P go bang every time & i want something i can trust. Heres what iam looking at....

Springfield Armory

....please honestly tell me your opinions & experiences :bier:

#2 ·
That's pretty old school. I have a friend that I introduced to shooting. He bought one of those as his first gun. The primary reason is that he is a big history buff so that gun appealed to him. He had big hands and the hammer bit the web of his hand all the time. I ended up installing a beavertail and a longer trigger for him. It was reliable.

ETA:

Actually looking at that page again, I'm not sure which gun you're referring to. The loaded micro compact or the GI 45?

#3 ·
Try the local gun range and hopefully they will have one to rent or close to it. Try before you buy ...

#4 ·
I carry a full-size GI1911, works just fine for me, although I took off the wood grips.

What are all the 1911 problems you hear of? My only one is I don't own enough of them.

#5 ·
Actually looking at that page again, I'm not sure which gun you're referring to. The loaded micro compact or the GI 45?
The loaded micro compact

What are all the 1911 problems you hear of?
FTF's , very ammo specific , magazine trouble , etc

#6 ·
The loaded micro compact
Ahh... well then my comments do not apply.

FTF's , very ammo specific , magazine trouble , etc
I have owned three (currently one), and many friends have 1911's.

Yes, all of us with at least one of our 1911's found that they did not work 100% reliably right off the bat. And they took a darn long time to break in and start working well with whatever we fed them. But it was worth it.

My least expensive 1911 - an armscor, shot whatever I fed it.

My most expensive, a Kimber, only shot FMJ's reliably until she had a fluff and buff as well as about 1000 rounds downrange.

My friends GI .45 never got reliable with most JHP ammo.

Did he care about that? No... only that it bit his hand with the hammer.

Once you own one you'll know what I'm talking about. It's like owning a vintage muscle car. Little things about it won't be perfect but it'll clean up most cars in a dust up.

#7 ·
I hear you M&P, I'm not a fan of 1911's either. I also don't really care much for Glocks. :gah:

For me, it's just the way they feel in my hand, and the safeties on some of them. Sure, I can shoot them, heck, it's fun to shoot anything. :danceban:

But as far as reliability is concerned, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that so many different manufacturers make a 1911 style gun. You have your great ones, your good ones, and your not so good ones. If you spend a bit more and pick a decent brand, I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.

Having so many manufacturers making 1911's is a good thing too, because you have tons of stuff you can get for them.

#8 ·
Have you considered a Sig Sauer P245 in .45 acp? This is a cool and very reliable pistol that will go bang everytime like your Glock and S&W M&P. This is a smaller version of their famous P220 so it was made with concealed carry in mind.

#9 ·
The Loaded Micro-Compact shoots really nice for a 3 inch 45. I shot one a couple of times and then saw a great deal on a Para Slim Hawg and bought it. The Para doesn't shoot anywhere near as nice as the Loaded Micro-Compact.

FWIW, my loaded Springfield shoots everything I have fed it. I have yet to have a FTE with it.

#11 ·
OK well after several hours playing with guns :image035: i finally picked one....Kahr PM45.... I picked this one mainly because my wife carries the PM9 & we really like it & iam telling you .45's dont get any slimmer than this baby :yup: the only thing i didnt like was the grip is a tinsy bit too thin & the serrations on this one are worse (sharp feeling) than my wifes PM9. Ah but a Hogue handall jr fixed that perfectly :danceban:
This is to be my EDC & i wanted it as small as possible but in a .45 so iam very happy. I thought i was ready to join the 1911 crowd but i just found them to have too many things sticking out all over to catch on stuff. The only problem now is waiting to tomorrow to shoot it :comeandgetsome:
Note: new Trijicon novak style night sights on order & yes of course a new iwb slim version from TT Gunleather...

Attachments

#13 ·
I have two EDC's...my Kimber Ultra CDP II for most times...and my Glock-36 when on the Harley.
Both are very easy to conceal, accurate, and dependable.
I have never had problems with either...both great guns.

Remember: If it's mechanical, it can have a problem...no guarantees!
I've 'witnessed' $2500 guns malfunction and that can be disheartening to say the least...:rant:

Stay armed...with an Ultra...stay safe!

Opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily what you will experience...:image035:

#14 ·
I like the big ol' full sized 1911 .45 pistols as long as they've not been dinked around with too much. Accurized, tightened, and tricked out turn me off. I like 'em configured like military versions.

#15 ·
Honestly, I would not buy the SA micro for a carry gun.

A carry gun is a tool. It gets bumped, dumped, and scratched up because of the environment it has to live in. You don't want a "piece of jewelry" as a carry gun.

The SA micro is too pretty and will lose it's value due to the fact that carry guns get used & abused more than safe queens.

Buy a Colt Defender instead. Same size weapon, 3/4 the price and none of the flash.
Colt Pistols - Ozark Guns (about 3/4's of the way down the page)

Or buy a commander (blue) or combat commander (S-steel) 1991 for about half the price of the SA micro. These have a 4 1/4" barrel instead of 3" but that's not a real problem unless you're a "twiggy the midget." And even then, I'd be surprised if you couldn't conceal one decently.

Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc.

And, remember, you can buy a LOT of ammo for $600 to practice with.

#17 ·
Thanks all for your views, i appreciate it. Just so you know the PM45 shoots very well :yup: i figured it would kill your hand but ill be honest i shot 150 rounds out of it the first day (now have just over 300 rounds downrange) with NO problems & believe it or not my wifes PM9 is harder on me to shoot, i have 4 friends that have shot both our PM9 & PM45 & they like the 45 better as well, except for my wife she likes how the 9 shoots better :rolleyes: for us its because the 9 is too small (she does have little hands) & you cant grab it, the 45 seems to fit nicely & recoil is not nearly what i thought it would be actually its quite smooth :hand10: Oh by the way i got a Hogue Handall Jr on mine (makes a tremendous difference) & Trijicon "novak style" night sights & iam carrying Federal HST's in the magazine of course :comeandgetsome:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.