Weapon for daughter off to college?

This is a discussion on Weapon for daughter off to college? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In August we'll be sending our dear daughter off to a very small and theologically conservative Christian college in a very quiet university town of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weapon for daughter off to college?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Weapon for daughter off to college?

In August we'll be sending our dear daughter off to a very small and theologically conservative Christian college in a very quiet university town of 23,000 a LONG way away from big cities. She'll be rooming in a second-story apartment with two or three other girls (one other first-year student and one third-year at least). We don't know how the others feel about firearms.

She takes Krav Maga classes and carries pepper spray and is likely to continue both when away. She's unlikely to get a permit, as while it is "may issue" under 21 there, it's only happened twice in that county. She's more mature than one would believe at this age, deferring to grey hair and saying "no" to herself regularly, for example. She already occasionally shoots her 22 Beretta Neos, and I plan on running her through at least the concealed carry class before she leaves.

I assume we'll be sending her with a home defense firearm of some sort, along with a proper fast-access safe if it winds up being a handgun.

What type of firearm would you recommend? Should we send her with the wife's snubby 357 (SP-101), our 20ga shotgun (870), a pistol-grip 10 gauge (joke), or something else? If you are thinking 'handgun', feel free to just say "auto" or "revolver", "full-size", "mid-size", or "small", and a hint as to caliber, as of course we'll have to do lots of trying-on at a gun show to ensure the one she takes fits properly. She wears a ladie's 'small' glove and has very long fingers, however, if anyone needs that information for recommending a specific model.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    A snubbie revo is a good choice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

B52
    I vote for the Ruger SP101.

The SP 101 would be a great decision...and one she could handle, and would stop most any threat... Rev hands down, that is what I did with my daughter!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Not to burst any bubble here but I would first find out about just who she is rooming with. They may not be as "mature" as your daughter and a gun in the house might not be a good idea. You mentioned that you dont know how they feel about guns so you are obviously thinking in the right direction. If she has no permit to carry, that means the gun stays at home where it does her little good for most of her time there unless she spends a lot more time at home than most college students do.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

glock 19 or 26
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

My daughter in college carries a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. She's been shooting since she was six years old.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

You may want to find out if firearms are permissible in her building. If so, whatever she's comfortable with.

Can't you let her pick it out? I know others would have a real hard time picking me out a gun I'd like just right.

If she's rooming in a dorm and they don't allow guns on campus then she won't be allowed to carry anyway
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would think the Ruger SP-101 loaded with good .38 specials would be a good choice. Especially since you already own one. However, only if she is a shooter and knows the rules of lethal force.

Also if all she has shot is the .22 Beretta, I would make sure she has several hundred rounds time in with the gun she is going to have with her.

Permit or not... making her take the CCW class is not only a good idea, I would think it should be a deal breaker as to whether you let her have a gun to take or not.

The means to secure the gun against unauthorized people would be mandatory as well.

I also think at some point she should sit down with her roommates and let them know she will be armed and have a very frank discussion with them.

I would also encourage her while she is away at college to take it upon herself and get up to speed with shooting for defensive purposes and practice with her gun. It could save her life one day.

Good luck and I hope her college days are a great experience for her.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I don't know if you should send her off with the .357 when she's used to the .22. Personally, I'd say the shotgun and the .22 that she's familiar with. Or if she wants something else, let her pick it out. She should at least hold it, and hopefully fire it, before she decides if she likes it.

Let her pick after shooting them. She'll be the one responsible for it, all of those are sensible choices so let her pick.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Thanks, all, for your support, thoughtfulness, and advice. And for the years of wisdom that led to the advice.

Clarification: she'll be in an off-campus apartment, the roomies are likely to be responsible as well (the college attracts that type), and I certainly would buy her a gun safe (box) and have her run through several hundred rounds and take at least the first class and probably the tactics class (abandoned building airsoft shootouts and such). I am also firmly committed to letting her pick, though she's already said the SP101 would be OK.

In retrospect, I should have made this a poll:
    Snubby Revolver, possibly an SP101 we already own (.38/357)
    Larger Revolver that she chooses to fit her hand (.38/357)
    Tiny Pistol (RugerLCP?) that she chooses to fit her hand (.380)
    Small Pistol that she chooses to fit her hand (.380 or bigger, per her choice)
    Medium Pistol that she chooses to fit her hand (.380 or bigger, per her choice)
    Large Pistol that she chooses to fit her hand (9mm or bigger, per her choice)
    Shotgun with pistol grip (probably 20ga)
    Shotgun, full-sized (probably 20ga - like the 870 we already own)

Administrator
    The SP-101 stoked with a good .38 SPL Personal Defense Load should do just fine and will shoot real easy for her.

The Speer .38 spl "short barrel" ammo might be a good choice.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links