Grip preferences and allied matters.

This is a discussion on Grip preferences and allied matters. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since getting Sue up to speed with her Bersa and also transitioning my wife to same platform - I was making sure their grip was ...

Assistant Administrator

Since getting Sue up to speed with her Bersa and also transitioning my wife to same platform - I was making sure their grip was stable, comfortable and effective. But wondered how much parity there is with our grip preferences here. My choice and recommendation may not be yours and as ever - it is what works for the individual.

I tend - obviously I guess, to promote what works well for me while taking into account smaller hands etc. Much of this to do with placment of weak hand when making up a two hand grip.

I strongly dissuade anyone from having weak thumb over base of strong thumb and across, such that is comes in line with slide of a semi - even if it feels good to the shooter. Only a matter of time before flesh gets gouged out!!!

I advocate weak thumb crossed over strong to the side - in a shallow ''X'' such that weak thumb locks over strong and gives significant reinforcement - making you could say the two hands function as a single unit. Hard to describe perfectly but - I have a pic I took to try and illustrate my grip on the diminutive R9 - that is about what I mean. My weak thumb actually presses most on first knuckle joint of strong thumb. See below.

Interestingly both Sue and my wife - were tending to go to weak thumb behind beavertail as first grip - and it took some time to begin to see the thumbs-to-side, interlocked, become more instinctive. My hold for revo is very similar - there I have to sometimes make sure the shooter is not wanting to have weak thumb too far fwd and so maybe risk cyl' gap gas burns!!

I suggest - and just my way of explaining - grip should be strong but not quite ''white knuckle'' - which would encourage stress shake. Control is what it is all about - but also within that grip is the need to aquire the knack of making trigger finger work as an almost independent entity - not something new shooters find easy early on.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I like and have had good luck showing people the thumbs along side each other or stack ive tried crossed thumbs and didnt like it ...

Like most everythng else personal perferance

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I use the thumbs over grip like that on revolvers, but I have them both pointed forward and not crossed when shooting bottom feeders.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I've tried not crossing my thumbs and it just doesn't work at all. I'm better off shooting one handed than not crossing my thumbs. I think it's a carry over from cutting one's teeth on revolvers.

OTOH when I do shoot a semiautomatic, I cross them on the side like P95's picture shows.

Lead Moderator
    like Bud and Combateffective, I like my thumbs pointed parallel to the barrel. I have small hands too.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I use 2 hands (most of the time) in a modified weaver stance but with a loose grip. It's almost a limp wrist.
    It's worked for me for over 40 years.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I prefer the thumbs forward....
    Brad B.

1952 - 2006
    I also prefer thumbs forward, not crossed.
    Being a 1911 shooter, I position my thumbs with off-side on the slide-stop, right thumb on the thumb safety.

As for thumb over the back of the strong hand, I did that many, many years ago when shooting a Walther PPK/S. Needless to say, it was quite painful, (lot's of bleeding, torn flesh, etc.).
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Assistant Administrator
    Being a 1911 shooter, I position my thumbs with off-side on the slide-stop, right thumb on the thumb safety.
    That figures Bob - indeed I reckon that is probably the most common for 1911 - I also would do similar I think and probably finish up with parallel thumbs as against locked.

Using 1911 so little (by comparison) I guess I have formed the crossed thumbs habit now pretty much. That said - I find it no major disadvanatage to unlock and sweep safety on or off when holding a slabsides.
    Chris - P95

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Using 1911 so little (by comparison) I guess I have formed the crossed thumbs habit now pretty much.
    Hmmmm, neglecting a 1911 huh?????? Well you just box it up and send it to me and I will give her all the love she needs.

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - not really neglect - just preferential treatment to other than 1911's

My only ''true'' 1911 is I guess my Sistema which is pretty much a Gov't A1 - tho P12-45 is of course a 1911 platform. If that sucker ever behaves I will like it and maybe (just!) even consider it for carry. It'll have to be 100% tho - or better!
    Chris - P95

Links