Range comparison

This is a discussion on Range comparison within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As noted in a previous post, I took my son to an indoor range to test out a new gun. The range itself was pretty ...

Thread: Range comparison

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Range comparison

As noted in a previous post, I took my son to an indoor range to test out a new gun. The range itself was pretty standard, but the one thing everyone noticed was that the percussion from others firing their guns, even the 9mm, was substantial...almost uncomfortable.

I talked to an instructor at the range. He said that he just had a hearing test and the doctor told him that he had "substantial hearing loss". He has worked at the range for many many years (a law enforcement type) so that was probably the root cause of his hearing loss.

He suggested that I not only wear my normal hearing protection, but also put on the squishy disposable ear plugs as well. I did but they didn't seem to help that much.

Me thinks that I will stick with the outdoor ranges as much as I can as it is definitely more comfortable in the nicer weather.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    One thing about the outside ranges...the sound just takes off. In an indoor range, the sound is reflected right back at ya...making the sound seem louder and longer.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    I always double up my "ears" when shooting indoor.

As Hotguns noted above, the acoustics of shooting indoor really make it louder than shooting outdoor. Just wait till you have a guy shooting hot .44Mag loads or 454s next to you. Yeah, it gets loud.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I always double up, as well. It makes it tougher to hear, even with the electronic muffs, but better safe than sorry.

Though, I may be a lost cause. Spent a decade of doing indoor range shooting. It's not so much the ear coverage not being sufficient. For me, it was the hammering of the noise on the forehead. With 500rd days, no amount of protection about the ears could stop that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I prefer 2 sets of ear protection, indoors and out. I use about -33dB plugs and -20dB muffs and I wouldn't mind more at all.

Indoors and out I have started "doubling up" on my ear protection too.

I already have a significant hearing loss and would like to save what I have.

I double up at indoor ranges as well. If you think a 9mm is bad at in indoor range, try a 7.62x25. I took my CZ-52 to the range a while back and the people next to me and my gf were flinching when we shot it.....lol. The one guy to my left came up to me and said he could feel a "shockwave" when it fired. I just wish there was a decent outdoor range near me. The one near me has only a 25yrd area for pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

As Hotguns noted above, the acoustics of shooting indoor really make it louder than shooting outdoor. Just wait till you have a guy shooting hot .44Mag loads or 454s next to you. Yeah, it gets loud.
    I always double-up as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I belong to a large club that spent a lot of money putting fire-retardant sound-proofing materials on the walls/ceiling/etc. Earmuffs alone are usually adequate there.

I've visited a commercial range that has bare concrete walls and advised my Wife to put hearing protection on (she doubles up, her hearing is very good and she is extremely sensitive to noise) IN THE PARKING LOT!! I've had discussions with the owner of said place and suggested that they pay a visit to the gun club I mentioned above. They did, but I'm not sure they've done anything ($$) . . . I haven't been by there in ages and haven't communicated with the owners for even a longer time.

Senior Moderator
    I always wear earplugs and ear muffs
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Not only can you hear it, you can feel when someone else shoots indoors. Remember that in a home defense scenario you won't have earplugs. So try to get used to the indoor range. It adds a little more realism to shooting in a defensive scenario.

Edit to add: This is why entry teams used flash bangs, because they disorientate the BG.
    Last edited by atctimmy; May 5th, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: add a point
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I always wear hearing protection and eye protection.It's just the right thing to do.I didn't do it as a young guy
    because it wasn't macho but as we age, hopefully wisdom is learned from events that went
    good and bad as we age.
    Last edited by Stetson; May 6th, 2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: expand subject

Links