Where is Lima when I need her?

This is a discussion on Where is Lima when I need her? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son and I were at rather large and busy gun store looking to purchase a few guns. There were maybe 6 clerks dealing with ...

Thread: Where is Lima when I need her?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

My son and I were at rather large and busy gun store looking to purchase a few guns. There were maybe 6 clerks dealing with about a dozen customers. 2 of the clerks were woman and seemed rather knowledgeable.

I dealt mainly with two of the male clerks. I would ask to see a particular gun. They would take the gun out of the display case, open the slide, examine the chamber and hand it to me butt first.

I also dealt with this other male clerk. When I asked to see a gun, he took it out of the display case and handed it to me barrel first. I gave him a rather dirty look the first time. The second time I said, "Yikes. Don't do that!" Opened the slide and checked. When he gave my son a gun the same way, I said in a very distinct voice to my son (although he knows), "Make sure that gun isn't loaded".

The clerk continued to behave this way. I know I should have said something to the manager/owner, but I didn't. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

That would be rules 1 and 2. Maybe they were having a stupid contest. Whoever got all four rules won.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    The last time that happened to me, it was a woman behind the counter. I asked her "Why did you hand me a loaded gun?" She didn't have much of an answer. That guy sounds like someone who doesn't care about their job and has no interest in making a sale.

You can still make a phone call to the manager... He needs to learn the proper way to pass a gun. Even if nobody ever gets shot in the store, he's still spreading bad gun habits to every noob that sees him operate.

Sponsor
    When I asked to see a gun, he took it out of the display case and handed it to me barrel first. I gave him a rather dirty look the first time

You didn't have to take possession of the gun physically when he tried to hand it to you right?

If you are going to take the gun as it's handed to you, it's as much your fault as the clerks IMO.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I just ask them to please lock it action open and hand it to me grip first. Simple.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The clerk didn't want it pointed at him! Seriously lets make a standard rule here and say that weapons should be transferred by placing them on a table as an intermediary.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    In the shop I deal with, the weapon passes with the barrel at 90 deg to both parties elevated toward the ceiling, slide locked/cyl open and ck'd by both. Same when it's returned to the display case. Not likely to have a problem this way.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    In the shop I deal with, the weapon passes with the barrel at 90 deg to both parties elevated toward the ceiling, slide locked/cyl open and ck'd by both. Same when it's returned to the display case. Not likely to have a problem this way.
    I usually open the action or cylinder prior to handing it off. Then, when passing a handgun to someone else I point it muzzle STRAIGHT DOWN and grasp the barrel covering the trigger loop with the fingers of my left hand (because most people are right handed and will take the firearm with their right hand).

Anyone who takes the weapon cannot fire it because the action/cylinder is open and the trigger is covered so no finger gets in there. Plus, the muzzle is pointed directly at the ground/floor/display case. This is the best way I have found to transfer a handgun from person to person. Every other method (including the "on the table" method) puts a potential someone at risk because the firearm is pointed horizontal (through the walls or at a person down the way) or up in the air (where the bullet has to obey gravity at some point).

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    When I asked to see a gun, he took it out of the display case and handed it to me barrel first. I gave him a rather dirty look the first time

You didn't have to take possession of the gun physically when he tried to hand it to you right?

If you are going to take the gun as it's handed to you, it's as much your fault as the clerks IMO.

Brownie
    Beg to differ.
    It seems to me the clerk handed the pistol 'unchecked' to him (the customer) 'barrel/muzzle first'.
    That's wrong in my book.
    I don't make a habit of pointing my pistol at anyone and don't expect one to be pointed at me.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Just as a sidenote:

The proper way to hand a katana to somebody is to offer it with the sword horizontal, handle towards your left hand with the blade side of the scabbard pointing towards yourself.

Since most people were trained to use the right hand as the drawing and dominant hand, by offering the sword in this fashion, you were in a less threatening posture, as the sword would essentially be offered in such a manner that it would be easier for the recipient to unsheath the weapon than yourself.

-JT

If someone is dumb enough to hand me an uncleared firearm, I want it out of their hands as quickly as possible.

Joe

Sponsor
    P7fanatic,

No customer HAS to take possession of a firearm if not cleared and presently in a safe manner for everyone at the shop.

To take a weapon not checked and pointed unsafely in any direction is to be guilty of unsafe practices as well [ I don't just take possession of ones weapons handed me unless they have been cleared in front of me.

It's wrong to hand someone an unchecked weapon [ we agree on that as I mentioned in the earlier post ] , it's just as wrong to accept that unsafe action of another, and in doing so then compound/perpetuate the potential subsequent problems.

Both are wrong on this one IMO. No one forces you to be unsafe by accepting/taking possession of the firearm thats not been physically cleared.

Brownie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    P7fanatic,

No customer HAS to take possession of a firearm if not cleared and presently in a safe manner for everyone at the shop.

To take a weapon not checked and pointed unsafely in any direction is to be guilty of unsafe practices as well [ I don't just take possession of ones weapons handed me unless they have been cleared in front of me.

It's wrong to hand someone an unchecked weapon [ we agree on that as I mentioned in the earlier post ] , it's just as wrong to accept that unsafe action of another, and in doing so then compound/perpetuate the potential subsequent problems.

Both are wrong on this one IMO. No one forces you to be unsafe by accepting/taking possession of the firearm thats not been physically cleared.

Brownie

Right, cause I'd rather leave the alredy proven unsafe guy in possesion of the unchecked weapon pointing at my chest for as long as possible. That would be much safer.

Or maybe it would be better to secure the unchecked weapon asap and check it myself. After I had the weapon in hand I'd tell the guy not to do it again.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsor
    Right, cause I'd rather leave the alredy proven unsafe guy in possesion of the unchecked weapon pointing at my chest for as long as possible.

Everyone is unsafe at one time or another with a firearm, if you don't think so, you haven't been around guns and people very long.

Taking possession of the weapon might cause it to go off in the exchange as well. I'm sure that wouldn't make your day brighter either. Instead of one being unsafe, now two of you have decided to let Murphy intervene, both sharing responsibility if there's an ND.

One is responsible to make it safe and hand it without muzzling the other. The receiving party is responsible for NOT taking possession of a potentially loaded firearm from anyone unless that exchange and the condition of the firearm is known by the giver and expressed to the receiver of same.

In this case at the shop, thats not going to apply.

Brownie

VIP Member
    "The receiving party is responsible for NOT taking possession of a potentially loaded firearm from anyone unless that exchange and the condition of the firearm is known by the giver and expressed to the receiver of same."

All guns are loaded all the time so I always re-check after being handed a firearm. I see no point to your argument.
    Good day.
    Last edited by atctimmy; May 6th, 2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add content
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links