A gun to get the family involved!!

This is a discussion on A gun to get the family involved!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few weeks ago I took my daughter to the range in the hopes I could familiarize her with shooting. She is 13 and has ...

Thread: A gun to get the family involved!!

A gun to get the family involved!!

A few weeks ago I took my daughter to the range in the hopes I could familiarize her with shooting. She is 13 and has been taught gun safety since she was old enough to walk but she has never fired a gun before. Anyway, I offered her chance to shoot and she was very intimidated by the prospect of shooting. I just guessed it was because the gun she was watching me shoot had a lot of recoil. I didn't push the issue and packed up and we left.

I have been thinking of ways to re-approach getting her, and my wife for that matter, involved in something I enjoy. So I have been looking at getting a .22 thinking that was the way to go. Take it back to basics and teach them the fundamentals without haveing to talk down recoil. Just have a little target fun.

Last night I used my economic stimulus check to go pick up a new Browning Buckmark HotPink. The name is very feminine but looking at the gun you have no idea there are fine lines of hot pink paint spattered across the matt-black finish. I took my daughter with me and she is a "hot pink" fanatic...along with fairies but thats another story!!

So I took it home and I got the usual looks from the wife, but I after some back and forth she understood me wanting to share something with the kids so she backed down.

Today, I took the wife to the range (first time in 10years) and we fired the new gun. I went over basics and she was hitting bullseyes inside the first clip. She was able to maintain control and was doing very well. We took turns and she actually comment that she enjoyed it.

I don't think I scored a homerun, but I think I found a gun that will definatly be getting a lot of use.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by nlghthawk; May 4th, 2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: clarrity

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a nice gun to me. Anything that gets the family involved is great, and with ammo prices the way they are, you can afford to feed it.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

22's are cheap and a great introductory weapon you can actually scare somebody off shooting by letting them fire a gun that the recoil is intimidating,easing them into higher calibres and different platforms til they find they're gun is the key
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

YOU...are a smart man.

That is the way to start 'em out. But one word of caution...
    You might be creating a 'family' that loves to buy guns...

Start looking for that second job right now.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    YOU...are a smart man.

+1 on that! My son turns 21 next month and is hitting me up with questions on getting his permit and stuff like "what do like better, XD, Golck, Kimber,or........"

My 13 yo daughter decided she wanted to shoot my old Ruger P85 last range trip..........800 rounds later I decided she's getting a .22 for the range trips. I've been borrowing my neighbors .22's while trying to find a .22 , looking at yours I think I found what I need.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

EVERYONE needs a .22. I don't think I've ever had more fun than when my brother and two of our friends literally pulverized three pumpkins... with .22's. We were young teenagers (supervised of course) and it took two cases of .22 rounds to do it. We kept having to stop to let the barrels cool off. By the time we were done there was nothing left but seeds and pulp mixed in with the dirt. Good times.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Moderator
    Good Choice
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Great job, I agree with Roadrunner...everybody should have a .22. Cheap to shoot, low recoil, pretty accurate, and a great way to introduce new shooters to the sport.

Keep it up...they'll come around. They always do.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    YOU...are a smart man.

+1
    This is how it started in my house, and now I have a CCW carrying wife!
    luckily in MI, she can carry any firearm that I own legally.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Everyone needs a few .22's... A pistol for the kids to shoot, perhaps a 2nd, because you'll never get to shoot the other one. A revolver is always nice. An inexpensive .22 tube loader, pump, auto, or bolt, for plinking and teaching new shooters the basics of long gun shooting, and a good quality .22 rifle for hunting or target duty.

One is never enough!

Chris
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I agree too. If someone is nervous about recoil, noise, etc, start off with a .22.

Thought I'd share a photo of my Ruger 50th Anniversary Mark II:
    Attached Images
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links