sks conversion?

This is a discussion on sks conversion? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; picked up an sks on saturday with 200 rounds for $200 on saturday. shot myself a jackrabbit at about 80yrds on the first day, iron ...

Thread: sks conversion?

sks conversion?

picked up an sks on saturday with 200 rounds for $200 on saturday. shot myself a jackrabbit at about 80yrds on the first day, iron sights too. originally i was looking to removing the the fixed magazine and getting a drop in ak magazine conversion. a buddy of mine got this drop in at a gun show but i cant find one anywhere. should i even bother with it or just get sks detachable mags. i hear a lot of bad things about the sks detachable mags.
    question is. does anybody know about the ak mag conversion drop in?
    am i better off just getting a detachable sks mag?
    thx in advance
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I would buy lots of stripper clips and forget about mag conversions.

The stripper clips are cheaper, work well, and most of those conversions are problematic at best.

You can use the money you save on ammo
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

thing is i helped by friend install his drop in for ak mags and it took like 1 min from start to finish. only tool needed was a screwdriver for the trigger assy.
    then we just used ak mags. and he's never had a problem.
    cant seem to find another though.
    i kinda want to stay away from those horrible duck bill sks mags.
    if worse comes to worse maybe i could find a 20rd fixed mag
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Senior Moderator
    All I have seen for sale is those duck bill mags and I would recommend staying away from them.

DRCMG has a SKS with the AK mag conversion and it works great, I've just never seen the converison kits for sale.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I went to a 20 round "STAR" fixed mag when I got mine...in the early 90's. Great little gun...

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Leave the SKS alone. Think about shooting it prone or off a bench with a longer mag. You gonna curse that longer mag. If you want a gun that uses a 20 or 30 or larger mag, get an AK.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Problem with SKS is that by installing the conversion to ak mags you can easily run afowell of 922r . Basically if your sks was not imported with the conversoin it is almost impossible to convert it legally . This is why a select few noricos are worth and bring 4 bills and up and most of them are the " para carbines " . The duck bill mag conversion is legal and sometimes it even works . I currently have 5 sks , one takes ak mags the rest are the original 10 rnd . I will eventually sell off the ak variant but i will wait untill after the election to do so . I wont advise you to buy the conversion since it is dependant on serial no's as to if you build a fun rifle or a felony . I wont even ask for his name as i have plans and the machines to build my own cheaper . I will say that other than an atf agent no cop will be able to sort out if your add on is leal or not since it depends on serial no's and import dates as to just what you have to do to be in compliance .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

thx fellas. thats why i come here.
    ill probably get a duckbill blue steel 30rd mag. if i dont like it ill return the mag and re install the fixed mag.

I'd just run the SKS in stock form with the stripper clips. They work well and the rate of aimed fire one can maintain with a stock SKS and stripper clips is quite effective.

i thought about keeping it stock but i cant seem to do it.
    i have a problem. the problem is tinkeridus
    i cant stop tinkering with my toys.
    my glock, my xd, hell even my 10/22.
    its like i have to take it apart and tweak it to be happy.
    was also gonna sand and duracoat in a digi camo.

Links