Defensive Carry banner

Gary's SIG - now CT's but .....

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  P95Carry 
#1 ·
Well - my CT grips arrived this morning and after clearing some work out the way got to fitting them. NOT as easy as on the 226!!

I am a bit disappointed in as much as - they say in instructions - "NOTE - Lock washers must be installed for proper magazine fit" - but supply no washers to suit. Well, being the old ex engineer I am I searched thru countless washers of all sorts but found it hard to come across all ideal items.

Lower grip screws need more packing and so was able to use two spring washers - that was OK. But top screws - need much less packing and so in fact we are talking shimming in effect. Maybe 20 thou, or half what the lower ones needed.

Problem? Well dia of grip screw thread relative to head (and recess in grip that receives head) means a requirement for a washer/shim with a large ID and only slightly larger OD - all I had were relatively std washers and so these were too large a dia to sit into the head recess of grip.

Do those top screws up too tight and sure - they project inside and interfere with mag insertion.

So - strikes me that with this rather specific need, CT should supply the necessary washers but seemingly do not. I shall tomorrow be calling them about this and see what they say. I want the grips fitting ''just so'', with no need for ''making do''!

In other respects of course - no prob's - these are my 5th set (shucks - must ignore the expense!) and once adjusted will be as awesome as all my others. Could well be that the 220 will see some winter carry duty once sighting adjustments confirmed on actual target.

Anyways - this of course merited a new and updated pic :wink:

See less See more
#4 ·
One other thing I notice - particularly because I have gotten so used to the 226 with CT's - the 220 being single stack lacks the ''fat'' feel.

Measuring across where CTC logo is - 220 is 1.235" and the 226 is 1.480". No major biggie - because the CT's on 220 still feel even better than factories but - wouldn't mind if they had a bit more palm swell.

#7 ·
Chris, how do you sight those grips in?
It's a cinch :smile:

There are two tiny (0.028" would ya believe) adjusting points for X and Y axes, with mini hex wrench - and boy is it small!. I have so far adjusted at 21' so that red dot on a target is coincident with iron sights picture.

Once at range I will confirm if that is good and make any necessary small adjustments. It really is easy and once done - it's done! Just hand held as usual - no real need for a rest.

#8 ·
Oh my - who is an unobservant dufus???

Yep - ME!! :rolleyes:

I spoke to a pleasant guy at CT - described the problem with washers - ''Did you remove the ones from original grips'', he asks.

''Ughhh - no'' says I. DUH!!!

I'll be honest I did not even think to look (enthusiasm is my excuse - just busting to get the new grips on!). So - sure enough, lock washers were still in original grips - problem solved ... altho must admit these washers are a bit too thick for top screws and they don't go in as far as I'd like.

CT - my apologies for doubting you!!! To cope with fools like me they could perhaps mention in the instructions - use washers from old grips.

Is it senile dementia I have comin' on? :eek: :biggrin:

#11 ·
how do they automatically know you have another set of grips to pilfer from
I guess Euc the assumption would be that CT's will only ever go on a complete gun, as a substitute - and so always a std grip set to take off.

#12 ·
P95Carry said:
Yep - ME!! :rolleyes:

I spoke to a pleasant guy at CT - described the problem with washers - ''Did you remove the ones from original grips'', he asks.

''Ughhh - no'' says I. DUH!!!

I'll be honest I did not even think to look (enthusiasm is my excuse - just busting to get the new grips on!). So - sure enough, lock washers were still in original grips - problem solved ... altho must admit these washers are a bit too thick for top screws and they don't go in as far as I'd like.

CT - my apologies for doubting you!!! To cope with fools like me they could perhaps mention in the instructions - use washers from old grips.

Is it senile dementia I have comin' on? :eek: :biggrin:
LOL! I did that myself once. I don't know how I came to discover the washers. It does kinda give you a funny feelin'. :tongue:

#13 ·
P95Carry said:
I guess Euc the assumption would be that CT's will only ever go on a complete gun, as a substitute - and so always a std grip set to take off.
But what if the reason you bought the CTs is that your grips were damaged somehow and you had to replace them? Or what about a "previously owned" gun? I've bought at least one gun with grips that just weren't going to function.

#14 ·
True again Euc - as a possibility, but I guess from CT's POV - unlikely.

Having found that the old grip washers are actually a bit too thick for top screws, I must say CT would be doing a useful thing if they included exactly correct sized suitable washers with the whole deal.

Matter of fact - being the fussy dude I am - I may get set up two screws in the lathe and take a small amount of thread length then - no washers needed for top ones.!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.