Ruger Gp100

Ruger Gp100

This is a discussion on Ruger Gp100 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so I have a bit of a dilemma right now as to choose which model I want. I am getting the revolver in 6" ...

Thread: Ruger Gp100

Ruger Gp100

Ok so I have a bit of a dilemma right now as to choose which model I want. I am getting the revolver in 6" so I know that much but I am unsure as to what finish I want it in. It's either blued or SS. Can anyone list off some pro's and con's with each because all I have to do is call the guy and place my order and can't do that until I make up my mind!

Well, the main issues that come up generally between blued/ss weapons are aesthetics, price, and durability.

Some people like the way one looks over the other. Some will also aruge that the SS will give away your position more at night.

SS tends to be more expensive, but not by too much usually under $100.

SS tends to be more rust resistant and the "finish" will last longer, because it is stainless steel instead of a finish put on the metal.

Personally, I like big revolvers in stainless, but thats just me.

What do you want the gun for 6" is a bit long for CC, so is it mostly a range gun, HD gun, hunting gun?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

GP100 is a nice choice. In my humble opinion, 6" barrel is too long for concealed carry - but excellent for a woods gun. What are you going to use it for?

As to the finish....

Blued
    Advantages:
    Darker colored finish, good for a display gun. Easily re-applied if worn. Provides some protection to the steel.
    Disadvantages:
    Wears easily (prone to holster wear, etc...). Reflects light more than a brushed, matte or polymer finish does. Does not provide as much protection as other finishes.

Stainless
    Advantages:
    It's stainless. There's no finish to wear through. It will scratch, but it won't show like it does on a finished gun. If you keep it clean and oiled, it won't rust. It's shiny. I once heard an older wheelgun nut say "A stainless revolver, if kept clean and oiled, will outlive you."
    Disadvantages:
    Very reflective. No "protective coating". Requires more frequent cleaning/oiling than some finishes.

What I'd do is probably get the blued one, shoot it for a couple of years until the bluing is wearing off, and then have it refinished in NP3 or some other "high-performance finish".

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace,
    Pete Zara.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

The GP100 is a big problem for carrying, as I found out the hard way. Fine for the range, or home defense, but IMO, not at all for carrying.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Well the gun is going to be for the range and I will probably not carry it unless I have a shoulder holster and am wearing a ski jacket or something lol. The price difference between the two is little to none. They are both NIB and the blued is $440 and stainless steel is $470.

If I were to have something like this done in the next year or two, would it be easier with a stainless steel gun or a blued gun? I found this guys webpage and the work he does looks pretty impressive. So good that his waiting list is over a year long....
    http://grantcunningham.com/pictures/PICT1160_large.jpg
    Last edited by Strokin99; May 7th, 2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: can't spell

VIP Member
    I have a blued 4" GP100 that I bought the year Ruger introduced it. Love the gun but even with a 4" barrel it is not the easiest to conceal. Since you plan on it for a range gun and the price difference is only $30. I would go with the SS model. JMO

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I'd love a range report when you decide. I am more or less set on picking up a 4" GP-100 as my IDPA wheelgun when I get a little extra money set aside... (Me, I would get stainless, but I like Pete's suggestion, too!)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Yeah I think I am just gonna stick with getting the stainless steel for now. I do appreciate all of the feedback tho and when it comes in I will post a range report on it. I am just glad that I will be able to shoot .38 out of this gun too because using magnums is gonna get expensive after awhile.

I have the 4" stainless GP100 with Hogues. It is basically a maintenance-free gun. Very nice and well built firearm. I love it.

Links