Guess what I just found? 2000 rds of .45ACP - testing and posting ON!!!

This is a discussion on Guess what I just found? 2000 rds of .45ACP - testing and posting ON!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First, my apologies for being so sluggish to follow up on this, but I'm on dialup for the summer, and I've been out of town ...

Senior Moderator

First, my apologies for being so sluggish to follow up on this, but I'm on dialup for the summer, and I've been out of town on top of that. But, I'm back.

It suddenly occured to me that I have a bunch of CCI Blazer in .45ACP. Soooo, 1911s and maybe a Sig 220 are now viable options. Right now I'm working on the logic of when and how, but I think the four guns will be an a Sig 220 or 220 Carry, an M&Pf 9mm, a 1911 I built, and another 9mm, maybe the PX4, and the door isn't closed on a G19 or G17, but they've kinda been tested to the limits already.

It occurred to me that it may be worthwhile to replace all the recoil and mag springs so we can baseline what we can expect from fresh springs. Otherwise, we'll be looking at springs that we have no idea about how many rounds they've seen and I'm not sure how much that would tell us.

Your thoughts - springs replacement? fourth gun (9mm)?

Just trying to be sure we can get as much as we can out of this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I agree that changing the springs would be a good idea. That way the start is even for all guns involved. I would not mind seeing how the PX4 performs, but I would not overload myself. Since adding a .45 to the mix, fatigue may become a factor. Good luck and can't wait for the results.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    Fatigue - good point. I'll probably run a test every two weeks or so. I have an idea that even as much as I like to shoot, that's much is gonna get to the laborious stage.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Changing the springs is probably a good idea.

Now, are you going to use this test to compare guns, or is each gun it's own standalone test only to be measured against itself?

The reason I ask is because if you're comparing them, you might want to do a field strip on all of them prior to the test and make sure they all start from the same level of cleanliness and none have more oil in the barrel than others. Stuff like that.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Changing the springs is probably a good idea.

Now, are you going to use this test to compare guns, or is each gun it's own standalone test only to be measured against itself?

The reason I ask is because if you're comparing them, you might want to do a field strip on all of them prior to the test and make sure they all start from the same level of cleanliness and none have more oil in the barrel than others. Stuff like that.
    I'll do that, good idea.

I, too, would be interested in how the Beretta PX4 holds up. I haven't seen a whole lot of press on this pistol, especially endurance tests. P.S. Don't forget the Icy Hot for your poor trigger finger!
    God bless our troops!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I, too, would be interested in how the Beretta PX4 holds up. I haven't seen a whole lot of press on this pistol, especially endurance tests. P.S. Don't forget the Icy Hot for your poor trigger finger!
    Me too, and I'll probably need Icy Hot for more than just my trigger finger - LOL.

Patience guys, I've got a lot going on right now, esp. a deal going on an H&K USP compact and even bigger, I just got a new tree climbing rope, Yale's Poison Ivy, and can't help myself - I have to climb on it. I did a 100' tree climb last week, and that's a record so far for me, but that's about to change. Anyway, it won't take long for the 'new' effect to wear off and I won't be distracted by it so much and I'll get back to shooting. Although, I'm still averaging over 100 rounds per week.

Links