Defensive Carry banner

Unusual Colt 1911 Mag Well Modification

7K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Bud White 
#1 ·
Thought you might be interested in seeing this. It was (I guess) done by the former owner of the one .45 that I'm working on.
Notice that it opens up the mag well a bit for faster magazine insertion but, does not add any parts to the frame.
The regular mag well is edge-beveled BUT, in addition the steel body of the mainspring housing has been radiused back & a beveled "half circle" cut into the grip frame metal. Then that cut needed to be carefully and slightly peened back to make close contact with the mainspring housing.
It opens the magazine well up about .25" (front to back) but, it is quite enough to make mag insertion nicely faster than the normal "stock" magazine well opening.
It's interesting modification that I've never seen done on any other Colt frame but this one.
It is a Series 70 frame BTW & I just recently bought a new/old stock Series 70 Slide for it on Ebay.

See less See more
#2 ·
Appears a good move QK - and must say something I would well contemplate on a 70 if I was gonna carry it.

Would it work on an 80 - no mental picture to help remember profile, if indeed any different.

#4 ·
Looks like someone bought this CD and warmed up their dremel tool.
http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/home_smithing_interactive_advent.htm

Looks like it might do the trick, Instead of messing with that frame you can just send it to me. :biggrin: Looks like a SS Frame, are you going to do a high polish on it when you get all the parts?
When I finally save up the rest of the money for a new XSE I wanna have it polished and a set of Ivory grips for it. :smile: Ever since I was little and watched Carlito's Way and saw that polished 45 he used when his cousin got his throat slit, I have wanted one just like it. (then he throws it in the dumpster :eek: I hated that part.)

#7 · (Edited)
The Frame Is YUK Gold Plated

The doggone frame is Gold Plated and it's about the ugliest doggone nightmare...ish gold plating that you could ever imagine.
God...it's so ugly it's scary looking. :eek:
Satin Gold.
Oh...so you want a picture of that frame? :confused:
You'll be sorry you asked for it. It will make you cry like a baby its so hideous and so freaky looking.
I'll try taking a flash picture.
I "cleaned up" a few areas around the trigger guard & then I'm just going to Ultra~Fine blast this one with Aluminum Oxide Powder & then finish it here at home.
I bought this frame for a super good price years ago $50.00 (I think) For the frame & all frame parts...no slide - no barrel AND an UGLY GOLD PLATED MAGAZINE. The Frame is basically untouched except for the mag well and the gold plate. The feed ramp is perfect & that's all I care about.
The aftermarket beavertail is not a super-great hairline fit like most custom ones are done these days.
The grip safety works fine though & I'm just using it for a beater/shooter anyway. The trigger pull is Nice & Crisp though.

OK Here it is: :eek:
It had some rust pits under the grips. Looks pretty bad huh?
It will look nice finished though. yep...that is a gold plated standard factory ejector :confused: & mag release.
Looks like an early Nowlin hammer. I put the short trigger in. All my Colts have short triggers.
I'm thinking I'll just strip the gold off & "Park" it.
Maybe I'll Camo it... :biggrin: or....Desert Tan??? :dead:

#8 · (Edited)
I think camo would be cool. Looks pretty :bling: right now. You should paint the slide green, so it can be green for the money, and gold for the hunnies :biggrin:

What are you going to do with the mainspring housing? Flat or rounded? I have shot a few with the flat housing and a short trigger, kinda dosn't fit the hand very well IMO.

#10 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :biggrin:

Wait...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :biggrin:

Bling Bling Ching Ching Dolla Dolla Bill Yo

Word Homey

That's the funniest thing I've seen all week... it's so sad and so funny at the same time...

Who the heck gold plates a Colt frame? I'm assuming that's what that is.

Me, I'd put a stainless slide and some faux ivory grips on it and get a big purple hat with a large feather in it and walk around with it asking where my money was. Oh and a zebra skin holster too. FIST makes them.

#11 ·
On The Bright Side (play on words)

The gold kept it from rusting out.
I'm going to take it all off with this really fine "Air Abrader" that I have.
Luckily the Hi-Karat gold was just lightly flashed directly on bare steel & there is no Nickel Plating under the gold.
Take PITY on it Euc. ~ Don't hurt its little Bling-Bling feelings. :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.