Traveling to MD Eastern Shore

This is a discussion on Traveling to MD Eastern Shore within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm traveling to Cambridge, MD, for an overnight stay tomorrow. I know that I have no personal/vehicle carry rights like I do in VA, but ...

Thread: Traveling to MD Eastern Shore

Question Traveling to MD Eastern Shore

I'm traveling to Cambridge, MD, for an overnight stay tomorrow. I know that I have no personal/vehicle carry rights like I do in VA, but does that extend to a hotel room? Am I allowed to keep my firearm secured in my hotel room while on my trip? Or should I leave it at home and not worry about any potential hazards/issues?

Mods, please move this post to a more appropriate location if I'm in the wrong area.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    rw - welcome

MD is so gun unfriendly it's crazy! If you had gun along for the ride then it would have to be locked in a case, probably in trunk - and ammo separate - even IIRC to extent of no loaded mags.

Remember too, another crazy thing - stops for rest or gas etc are not permitted with a gun in the vehicle. Reaching destination however - should be different and I think then you could take gun in with your baggage and in your room keep it as you might in your own house.

That said you'd have to check deeper - as I am no authority on it. Packing org may just help. Not being an MD resident too - may have some effect.

I hope someone else can provide more definitive info for you. I avoid trips into MD almost at all costs these days!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I know what you mean. I wish there was a way to change the leadership in Annapolis so that they would be more in line with the Eastern Shore and the western mountains, places which are still fairly conservative and haven't been infected with the insanity that is bred in the Balto-DC corridor.

I've sent a message to the MD AAG recommended by a poster on packing.org, so hopefully I'll have a response before I leave tomorrow. I'll post what I find out here as well, always some good info to have.

BTW, when did they get so scared in MD? I'm guessing that its the evil influence of DC and its crime issues.

I have clarification on the law

I just spoke with SGT. Griffin of the MDSP, and here is what he said:

Since handgun transportation is specifically regulated under MD law to allow for transport to specifically listed destinations, any other reason is illegal. Because of that, transportation to and storage of a handgun in a hotel room is a violation of the law since it is not one of the specific destinations listed in the law.

This, his advice is to leave the firearm at home so as not to be in violation of the law.

We had a pleasant conversation about this issue, held at a professional level and it was very informative. I didn't raise variables such as hunting or if there was a range at my destination as I didn't think of it until after the call. However, that is a variable which should be addressed for clarification and will do so with the AAG I emailed when he responds.

Lead Moderator
    Unfortunally what both Chris and the MDSP said is true. If you want to be legal it's easier to just leave it home.

This <BLANKITY BLANK> State couldn't even pass a bill last year that would allow shooters to stop at a McDonalds between the Range and home!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    rw - thx for posting your results from MDSP - it sucks!!

I will try and remember that tho, in all its restrictive, anti 2A glory!
    Chris - P95

Here's the response I got from the MD AAG:

Dear Mr. Morrison:

I cannot provide you with a definitive answer as, to my knowledge, Marylandís appellate courts have not addressed the issue of whether a hotel room is a bona fide residence for purposes of Marylandís handgun transportation laws.

Mark H. Bowen
    Assistant Attorney General

So it looks like they don't have to address the issue since the law makes it a moot point. I wonder how the law would cover it if I went to a firing range on my overnight trip? Then I've satistfied one of the qualifiers for carrying a weapon in the vehicle.

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - about time they made some decisions (favorable) instead of this wishy-washy ''not sure'' crap. A hotel room should be ''home'', and also so should your vehicle.

I had thought of the ''going to the range'' deal rw but - even so - sad to say - you may be best free of hassle by going nekkid.
    Chris - P95

That's what I did. Cambridge isn't PG county, so crime here isn't as big an issue. Besides, I drive a Crown Vic, so most people don't toy with me since they think I'm a LEO, and I don't do anything to convince them otherwise unless asked directly.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    it's concealed. Who's going to know?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Umm, for some reason I don't think that we're here to advocate violation of the law just to carry a firearm. MD has strict restrictions on gun usage, and though I might not agree with them, they are the laws and I have to abide by them as we all do. I'm not going to risk my personal freedoms and my career just to carry a weapon. Being a military man yourself, you should understand this and not be advocating breaking the law for any reason.

That being said, I would know and that's enough for me.

Lead Moderator
    rwmorrisonjr Well said! And we are not here to encourage unlawful carry in any way. Another way to look at it si if you get caught carring here in Maryland, you might never be able to carry again!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Very true. And I answer this now from the comfort of my home, in the free state of VA, with my G-17 stapped to my side again! I now feel complete.

Links