Where are you keeping a gun?

This is a discussion on Where are you keeping a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I receive a newsletter weekly from my Chief of Police. The following was one of the items posted on the letter. The guy that was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are you keeping a gun?

I receive a newsletter weekly from my Chief of Police. The following was one of the items posted on the letter. The guy that was pulled over didn’t do carry permit holders any good by his conduct. Why would you not tell the officer you had a gun in the glove compartment before reaching into it.

Nothing gets the adrenalin pumping in an officer faster than the site of a gun during a routine traffic stop. Such was the case at 2:00 AM on May 6th when Officer Adam Tschida stopped a vehicle on CR#42 at Pennock Avenue after he witnessed the vehicle make an illegal lane change. Adam walked up to the driver’s window and greeted the driver. He then asked to see the driver’s license and proof of insurance. All pretty standard stuff.

The driver leaned over to the glove box and opened it, presumably to take out his insurance card. As he did so Adam caught the glimpse of a pistol. Well…Adam drew his handgun, ordered the driver to stop and then ordered him out of the vehicle and placed him in handcuffs. This is exactly what he should do. Although the driver complied he started cursing at Adam, calling him every name in the book and yelling at Adam stating that he had a permit to carry the pistol. When additional officers arrived the man continued on in this fashion.

In the glove box officers found a loaded handgun and an expired Northfield Police Department Police Reserve identification card.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Sounds to me like he did not posess a valid permit to carry. I'm not familiar with the law in that state, but it sure sounds like this guy is a bit off his rocker... I hope he learned a valuable lesson here, but somehow I doubt it. He will probably continue to curse the police for what they've done to him, refusing to accept responsibility for his own actions.

Ah well.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Use to be a reserve officer; calling the LEO names while the officer had his gun pulled.... Idiot, moron and he makes the rest of the those who chose to carry legally look bad. Explains why his reserve license was expired.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I will let an officer know right away i am legally armed and where it is,if you're upfront they are less suspicious than to see a gun you may be reaching for to shoot them,If I was still in LE I woulda done the same thing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Even if not required why in that state, why not?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I haven't been pulled over since I started carrying, so it hasn't been an issue yet. But even though it's not required to notify here, I think I'll let the officer know, just for this very reason.

But then again, when he asks where it is, I'll have to tell him it's on my hip above my wallet that contains my drivers license. D'oh.

Maybe I'll just ask if I can get out of the car and present my butt to him reach for my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I haven't been pulled over since I started carrying, so it hasn't been an issue yet. But even though it's not required to notify here, I think I'll let the officer know, just for this very reason.

But then again, when he asks where it is, I'll have to tell him it's on my hip above my wallet that contains my drivers license. D'oh.

Maybe I'll just ask if I can get out of the car and present my butt to him reach for my wallet.

That problem is simply solved. By the time he gets to your window, have your DL and CCW permit in your hand. Both hands on the steering wheel, dome light on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    That problem is simply solved. By the time he gets to your window, have your DL and CCW permit in your hand. Both hands on the steering wheel, dome light on.

I thought of that too, but sometimes officers don't like you moving around before they get to the window. So I just sit there patiently with my hands on the wheel until he gets there.

One other thing, I don't have a CCW permit. I live in Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I thought of that too, but sometimes officers don't like you moving around before they get to the window.
    I keep my driver's license, registration, insurance slip & a photocopy of my CHL in an envelope in my car's center console.

Where else do you ever really need them, anyway? I have other ID that I can show if I'm asked for ID somewhere. And with them in the center console, I can grab them quickly and easily if pulled over, and without making a big commotion.

I've only ever been pulled over once, and the officer was a bit surprised when I handed him an envelope with everything he'd need. He must have liked it, because he gave me a warning for 12 over

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

That's a great idea Pete. I do have my insurance and registration in a little binder type thing, but my DL is my only photo id, so I keep it in my wallet.

That's not only stupid but also a good way to get shot!
    I always tell for both of our safety!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Having been a Reserve PO for 17 years myself, I find this almost incredulous:

- Any PO knows better than "surprise" a brother/sister officer like that!

- Given the circumstances, he should have advised the officer of the gun, where it was, told him that he was a Reserve PO (past tense) and requested further instructions.

My thoughts on this person:

- He was probably issued the Reserve PO ID as a "gift" for a donation to the PD/sheriff/etc. and never REALLY a PO (POST certified). Sheriffs where I am do this all the time, giving out a badge, ID, ID case, pretty citation for contributions to the Sheriffs campaign fund. These people have NO LEO powers at all, attend No academy, have no powers of arrest and no training. They use the ID/badge to try to get out of traffic tickets but that is it.

- The guy is a total moron. His behavior is a disgrace to all POs, Reserve or FT, all CCW holders, and all ADULTS anywhere (he certainly isn't an adult by his behavior after the stop).

Some comments:

- Maybe this is why it is illegal to store a gun (loaded or not) in a glove box in my state. No PO on a stop wants to see a gun in that glove box during a stop, no matter what state they are in.

- If a state does not require declaration AND the gun is properly CONCEALED, there is no need to notify and escalate a situation. Where I live, many LEOs will treat a notification as a Felony Stop and you will be eating asphalt rather rudely and probably rip up your clothing in the process. CCW by law abiding citizens is so rare here that they would treat anyone known to have a gun as a felon and act accordingly. So know the laws and customs where you travel . . . what works well in places were guns and hunting are a way of life won't work well in urbanized areas of the Northeast!

We from DC should get the officers email and send a card expressing that the rest of the normal CCW world does not agree with the actions of that idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    calling the LEO names while the officer had his gun pulled.... Idiot, moron and he makes the rest of the those who chose to carry legally look bad.
    For those who would like to see just such a situation (talk-back while guns are drawn), review the video of Daniel Sayers, an Ohio CHL who had someone at a prior stop call in "man with a gun," at which point this video starts ... click here. He had a CHL, ostensibly told the officers he was legally carrying, but his poorly-timed tirade did nothing to help things, right or wrong. A good example of what NOT to do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

On top of my engine under the hood, behind the microwave, under the broiler plate in the oven, velcroed to the toilet tank lid two of em's buried in the yard but that was two years ago and I forgot, one's inside the non-working stereo speaker in the living room, and a few more are in here somewhere, but I aint seen 'em in quite a while!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links