Oh Man- Gun Pointed Right By My Head Today

This is a discussion on Oh Man- Gun Pointed Right By My Head Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those of you that may not know, I am a relative newcomer to guns (maybe two years ago?). I am consisently amazed at how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Man- Gun Pointed Right By My Head Today

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

For those of you that may not know, I am a relative newcomer to guns (maybe two years ago?). I am consisently amazed at how safety is the first thing to go for so many people handling guns.

When I first starting shooting, I read up on the subject & found the two basic rules of firearm safety:

1) Every gun is loaded.

2) Never point your gun at anything you do not wish to destroy.

In the two years I have been around guns, I have had an AR-15 carelessly pointed at me (yes, it was loaded) by a man who went to school for almost a decade in order to operate on people. I have had a fireman carelessly point both a shotgun and pistol at both of us (yes, amazingly, he was trying to unload the pistol). Finally, I had the worst "careless jackass" experience of my life here in Arlington at a place that sells "arms."

I'm nosing around, searching for a nice deal on a used gun and here sits the "careless jackass." He's cleaning (I think) or testing an assault rifle they are taking in as a trade. As I am leaned over, looking closely at a Springfield pistol, I hear a click (dry fire?!?!?!?) and I look up- the barrel of the gun is just inches from my head, pointed just a few notches to the left of my gray matter! I could not believe the moronic unsafe actions of this fool, so I gave him a dirty look, did my best to keep my poise and left, never to return to the place in Arlington, Texas that sells "arms."

That's the end of my rant.

Now let me say "thank you" to all of you guys & gals that think it's cool to be safe around our treasured firearms. I do & I'm glad I'm not the only one.

There are idiots everywhere. It is extra scary when they work at a place that sells guns. These people should be some of the most safety concious of all, yet sometimes they are the most careless.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Instead of "no gun" zones maybe we should work on "no stupidity" zones.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

"No Stupidity Zones": Yeah, that'd be good. Trouble would come in enforcing it!

I can't believe you remained calm. I would have been extremely upset and probably shoved the barrel away immediately while scolding the offender. And then I would have made it pretty well known that he was the reason I was never going to return.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Thats why when I'm on a fireing line I wear Level III-A, Working on getting plates.

I had a situation a few days ago where a guy came into to rent a SIG 239. I turend around only to find a new I didn't know about pointed right at my chest. I said sir Please don't pull guns out in the shop and please don't point them at me, he said okay however I REALLY HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THIS Most Common RESPONSE (Don't worry its not loaded). NOT 30 Seconds later it he then whipped out his LOADED CARRY PISTOL for a second time. It was pointed at another EMPLOYEE. I said SIR PUT IT IN YOUR HOLSTER..."WHY" PUT IT IN YOUR HOLSTER...WHY I"m just UNLOADING it...PUT IT IN YOUR HOLSTER (THIS really pissed me off ) Please stop yelling at me your embarrassing me. PUT IT IN YOUR ************** ** ** ***** NOW!!!!! SIR YOU ARE UNSAFE PLEASE LEAVE......AFter about the 10th time he said I want your name.... I said if you want to talk with the owner hes standing right over there and he heard the entire conversation. The owner smiled and said..."GET OUT"
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I'd rather embarass somebody than say nothing and get shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Thats why when I'm on a fireing line I wear Level III-A, Working on getting plates.

I had a situation a few days ago where a guy came into to rent a SIG 239. I turend around only to find a new I didn't know about pointed right at my chest. I said sir Please don't pull guns out in the shop and please don't point them at me, he said okay however I REALLY HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THIS Most Common RESPONSE (Don't worry its not loaded). NOT 30 Seconds later it he then whipped out his LOADED CARRY PISTOL for a second time. It was pointed at another EMPLOYEE. I said SIR PUT IT IN YOUR HOLSTER..."WHY" PUT IT IN YOUR HOLSTER...WHY I"m just UNLOADING it...PUT IT IN YOUR HOLSTER (THIS really pissed me off ) Please stop yelling at me your embarrassing me. PUT IT IN YOUR ************** ** ** ***** NOW!!!!! SIR YOU ARE UNSAFE PLEASE LEAVE......AFter about the 10th time he said I want your name.... I said if you want to talk with the owner hes standing right over there and he heard the entire conversation. The owner smiled and said..."GET OUT"

My brother had an issue with his Beretta at an indoor range. The range officer came by to look at his gun...and put a bullet in the lane divider inches from my brother's head.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post

That's greatness. You gotta love when the jackass gets the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    I can't believe you remained calm. I would have been extremely upset and probably shoved the barrel away immediately while scolding the offender. And then I would have made it pretty well known that he was the reason I was never going to return.
    Believe me, I was not quite sure what to do. I have wondered aloud to my wife whether I should have been more vocal. I tend to be a bit of a hammer, so I have been taking my wife's advice, "act like a feather and you will end up being a light hammer."

Reminds me of the knucklehead that walked down a "hot" range the other day to staple up a new target. My jaw dropped open. Range officer said nothing to him. I did.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I brought a gun in to my local shop yesterday, unloaded and handed it to the owner. I told him, "Yeah it's unloaded, but I know you're going to check it anyways." As he should. He has had more "unloaded" guns put holes in his walls and ceilings than "loaded" ones.

Safety must come first...if not, I politely say SOMETHING...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Believe me, I was not quite sure what to do. I have wondered aloud to my wife whether I should have been more vocal. I tend to be a bit of a hammer, so I have been taking my wife's advice, "act like a feather and you will end up being a light hammer."
    You might consider writing to the store owner. Explain (politely) the incident and that you will not be returning. The hammer may fall on the one with the safety problem-you never know.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Airslot- that is a wonderful idea & one I have considered. I think I may very well do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links