Why Carry?

This is a discussion on Why Carry? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this question has been asked before, I've tried to do a search to find the various answers and the threads are numerous. I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Carry?

Why Carry?

I know this question has been asked before, I've tried to do a search to find the various answers and the threads are numerous. I'm trying to localize all the reasons and so I ask, why do you carry?
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

Why ask repetitve questions over and over again? But I repeat myself, so I'll humor you.

I carry because I believe the safety of my family is too important to 'delegate' that responsibility to somebody else.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Morality is quickly becoming obsolete. Respect for others is hard to find and thugs looking for an easy mark are everywhere. Home invasions are way up, car-jackings are up. Robberies are up.

My job places me in contact with seriously bad people every day. I have met them off duty too and most of the time it goes well. I carry for the times it won't.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    There are dozens of posts on this topic, but nevertheless, it repeats itself every month or so.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    There are dozens of posts on this topic, but nevertheless, it repeats itself every month or so.
    Agreed, I really wonder why we have to beat this poor old all the time.

But for the benefit of the new members who have joined since the last time we tossed this around, I'll leave this thread open. That way, we can add one more to the searchable database.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Captain Crunch go ahead and close if you desire, doesn't seem I'm going to get what I was looking for anyway. I asked this for a nephew who's doing a final and discussing false logic. He jumped on it one time when he asked why anyone would want to carry and I explained there were many reasons, and some believe "It's a God given right" and that's when he got into the false logic discussion. I tried to research each and every thread I got during a search and just got lazy. I didn't want to say this up front because I didn't want to influence the responses. To those who responded, thanks, I knew I would get bruised some.
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Captain Crunch go ahead and close if you desire, doesn't seem I'm going to get what I was looking for anyway. I asked this for a nephew who's doing a final and discussing false logic. He jumped on it one time when he asked why anyone would want to carry and I explained there were many reasons, and some believe "It's a God given right" and that's when he got into the false logic discussion. I tried to research each and every thread I got during a search and just got lazy. I didn't want to say this up front because I didn't want to influence the responses. To those who responded, thanks, I knew I would get bruised some.
    Ron,

I am still not clear exactly what you are asking, but I will give it a shot (so to speak ).

Why do some people own a hammer?
    Did they just want a hammer to hang on the wall as art?
    Probably not. What they most likely wanted was a nail driven for the purpose of securely fastening something like piece of drywall to a stud (for instance). They didn't want a hammer. A rock might have done the job. Or, a piece of metal they found in the street.

Still, for what they wanted, a hammer was the best available tool.

Probably very few of us want to carry an inconvenient, sometimes uncomfortable hunk of iron around our waists. Nor do we want to listen to people put us down for making such a choice. What we want is the result a handgun produces-a chance at protecting ourselves or our loved ones from the violence that we believe could happen.

A rock might work. A metal baseball bat might help. But, for what we want, a chance at protection, the handgun is the best available tool.

Does that come close to what you are looking for?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

BAC
    So he wants to know because he wants to verify his thoughts or seek clarification? If he's already formulated an opinion before fully understanding the responses to what he's asking, calling "false logic" reminds me of that saying about stones and glass houses.

-B

Watch the news reports...daily...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was not stating that anything was false logic. My nephew is doing a paper and, in his definition, false logic is an argument that can be used by either side. To clear things up a bit, he goes to the range with me but is to young to get a CCW (you have to be 21 in Georgia). He's trying to be impartial and show that some arguments in a given situation can be used by both sides. His chosen case is the 2A and is attempting to show that anti's and proponents sometimes use the same point in an argument. He feels he can better sway those who are border line to the 2A side by doing this. He wanted to know how many may say it's a God given right, or because it's simply my right to do so. In his mind these, along with others, are points that can be used by either side. That's all, nothing malicious in the question. It was just my laziness not weeding through the bountiful threads that caused me to pose the question again. I will do my best to not do so in the future.

Because I legally can, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    He wanted to know how many may say it's a God given right, or because it's simply my right to do so. In his mind these, along with others, are points that can be used by either side.
    One of my reasons for carrying is because it is my god given right among other reasons. I have to disagree with this being a point that either side can use. My rights and choices are mine until they infringe on the rights of another. I in no way want to force guns on those who do not care for them. I can't say the same for the other side. I think that every statement that is made by both should looked at by that view.

I believe the anti-gun people protect only the rights that suit them. I on the other hand defend others rights even when i am totally against their position or choice as long as it does not infringe on mine or others.

Other reasons i carry and own guns.
    - police and the government are not there to protect me or my family at the time of problems.
    - it's like a fire insurance, car insurance etc... I have it but i hope to never use it
    - Because i never want to know i could have saved someone i love's life but didn't have the option.
    - It is my duty as a citizen to ensure that my government does not become a tyranny.
    My world is the only one that counts

I heard Suzanna Hupp speak about the death of her parents in the Luby's massacre. I heard the grief and anger in her voice. I knew I never wanted to be in her shoes, where I could have prevented the death or injury of one of my family members and I didn't.

Semper Fi
    Larry

VIP Member
    The primary reason I CCW is to defend myself and my family. Any other logical reason to CCW is secondary to me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links