In defense of my castle

In defense of my castle

This is a discussion on In defense of my castle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am the world's cheapest man. I hate sales taxes and fees of all kinds. I even hate paying for what I'm buying. With that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In defense of my castle

In defense of my castle

I am the world's cheapest man. I hate sales taxes and fees of all kinds. I even hate paying for what I'm buying. With that as your backdrop, I hope to receive advice on the least costly way to arm myself. Last year, with only a 2x4, I had to go two rounds with some guy robbing my house and raiding my fridge. I destroyed my house with that 2x4, but the bad guy got away. He had a small mickey mouse gun that never went off.

I want to buy a gun that'll shoot even if it's been in my closet for ten years with absolutely no attention. I don't necessarily want to kill anyone, but I'd like to drop the crook robbing my house in his tracks. The gun can't be a canon, a woman may have to use it.

There are gun shows around here regularly — I want to buy privately, I want to avoid a lemon, I'll pay cash, and I don't want to mortgage my house. I live in Florida — very lenient gun laws. Questions: should I bother with a bill of sale using drivers licenses both way for ID? Can anyone suggest the wording? In my limited reading, I'm sort of focussing on a small S&W in 38 cal. Will a snubbie work? If not, how much barrel do I need?. Since I want minimum maintenance — am I talking stainless? Even friends who don't know up from down are advising against Taurus even though I like the prices better. All I know to do in checking a used revolver (preferred over a pistol), is to shake the cylinder back and forth (I read that).

I have an open mind, please help me think this through.

my sugestion is for a revolver but i would go to e reputable gun shop and buy from them they will help you choose what is best for your needs and is in the right price range for you

410 shotgun ?
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Snubbies have a huge fan base around here. I don't think you'll find many people against the idea of using one for self defense. They are reliable, they hardly ever refuse to go "bang" and S&W snubbies are some of the best.

I think most of the people here would agree with me when I say to spend the little bit of extra cash and go for the S&W. If you go cheap and get a lemon, then you'll be worse off than when you were using the 2x4.

Just think of it this way, is your life or your family's life worth that extra $100? You've already had a bad experience, and as far as break ins go, you got off pretty easy, next time it could be much worse.

Just my 2 cents.

it sounds like you do NOT want to conceal carry.

I would suggest a 38 with a 4" barrel for aound the house... PLUS a 20 g shotgun (say a Maverick for much less $300 - way less if preowned from a pawn shop).

Why both?

Two people (you and your spouse). It's that simple. A possible alternative is a used .357 since that increases the choice of ammo. If you cannot get 38... use 357 and while it may "hurt" you more... it will hurt EVEN more the person you aim it at.

Either way... the shotgun should be part of your planning. And I would buy from a reputable place - in case you have issues.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

A coach gun...a big double barrel...
    Two shots of 00buck...when empty, you then have a 2x4...as you sound like you're pretty handy with one...

For something that goes boom every time...a Glock...a 30 would do it quite nicely...OMO

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!

By the way...
    Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 11th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Just my 2 cents worth but spend your money on a quality revolver. Forget the Taurus and go with a S&W, Ruger, or Colt. You will want a .38 Special or 357 Magnum. If you chooze the magnum load it with .38 Special +P loads. Select one with a 2 1/2" to 4" barrel. Any S&W K-frame (Models 10, 13, 15, 19, 64, 65, 66, or 67) in good shape would be a good choice. The Rugers may be less expensive than the S&W's and the Colt's may be the same price or higher than the S&W's.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Are you planning on buying the cheapest gun recommended and one box of ammo and then sticking them both in the closet until you need it? I think a better plan would be to buy a decent gun from a good manufacturer, learn how to clean and maintain it, practice enough that you can actually hit what you're aiming at and shoot from month to month so you don't get rusty. I think you are on the right track with the .38 revolver (or .357) and as others have mentioned, some type of shotgun might be better if you never leave the house.

I guess you know that you 'can't take it with you' so you might as well do it right...
    Last edited by stanislaskasava; May 10th, 2008 at 07:18 PM.

I second the recommendation for a shotgun. Forget the pistol. It doesn't sound like you are going to be going to the range often enough to develop proficiency.

If you are talking about a relatively cheap method of self defense in the home, then you don't have to look much further than a pump shotgun.

Also, a reliable shotgun is considerably cheaper than a reliable handgun.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I second the recommendation for a shotgun. Forget the pistol. It doesn't sound like you are going to be going to the range often enough to develop proficiency.

If you are talking about a relatively cheap method of self defense in the home, then you don't have to look much further than a pump shotgun.

I agree...for HD, a 12 gauge is the best...find a Mossberg used. It doesn't have to be pretty...as long as the firing pin meets the shell primer it'll go bang...and it'll do less damage than the 2X4 did! You may also want to get a CWP...just so if you use the 12 gauge...there's evidence of a background check having been done...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bisquit View Post
    I am the world's cheapest man. I hate sales taxes and fees of all kinds. I even hate paying for what I'm buying. With that as your backdrop, I hope to receive advice on the least costly way to arm myself. Last year, with only a 2x4, I had to go two rounds with some guy robbing my house and raiding my fridge. I destroyed my house with that 2x4, but the bad guy got away. He had a small mickey mouse gun that never went off.

I want to buy a gun that'll shoot even if it's been in my closet for ten years with absolutely no attention. I don't necessarily want to kill anyone, but I'd like to drop the crook robbing my house in his tracks. The gun can't be a canon, a woman may have to use it.

There are gun shows around here regularly — I want to buy privately, I want to avoid a lemon, I'll pay cash, and I don't want to mortgage my house. I live in Florida — very lenient gun laws. Questions: should I bother with a bill of sale using drivers licenses both way for ID? Can anyone suggest the wording? In my limited reading, I'm sort of focussing on a small S&W in 38 cal. Will a snubbie work? If not, how much barrel do I need?. Since I want minimum maintenance — am I talking stainless? Even friends who don't know up from down are advising against Taurus even though I like the prices better. All I know to do in checking a used revolver (preferred over a pistol), is to shake the cylinder back and forth (I read that).

I have an open mind, please help me think this through.
    If you are planning to buy something to leave in your closet for ten years , get a shotgun. Effective use of a handgun for self defense takes regular practice. So does a long gun, but it is a bit easier to use.

The point here is that thinking yourself armed and ready simply because you own a gun is kind of like buying a piano and thinking you are ready for Carnegie Hall.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

you buy a cheap handgun yours may go click when the bad guy's go bang
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Get a shotgun (Mossberg will be your cheapest and most reliable bet), buy it used from a shop with a repair policy for used guns and shoot it to make sure it works Then load it up with 00 buck and apply to invaders as necessary.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by bisquit View Post
    I want to buy a gun that'll shoot even if it's been in my closet for ten years with absolutely no attention.
    Respectfully, I think you're planning defeat, then. You're planning to ignore a firearm in a ready state of accessibility for that long and yet still have it work flawlessly. That's asking a lot.

Humidity, dust, whatever ... they can conspire to seize up a gun that's unused yet not otherwise carefully packed away for storage.

If so concerned, purchase a revolver or shotgun, but keep it well-oiled and as dust/humidity free as possible.

Here's the deal, as I see it. You're prepared to let a gun that you've not manipulated or fired in 10yrs to work, despite a solid possibility of having seized in that time. You don't know it's behavior or durability. Yet, you're wanting it to save your life, on the instant of an attack. I think you'll either need to pack it away well-oiled and greased, in a suitable environment that doesn't have swings in temperature or humidity, or you're going to need it accessible for that attack. I don't think you can have both.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

+1!

Although I think a handgun with semi-regular practice is also in order. Go with the .357 magnum (more ammo, more options) and practice with both. With both guns, you just doubled your chances for surviving another encounter! Stay safe!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links