Gunsmithing

This is a discussion on Gunsmithing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not really sure where to put this so I figured here is ok. I have been tossing ideas around in my head as ...

Thread: Gunsmithing

Gunsmithing

I am not really sure where to put this so I figured here is ok. I have been tossing ideas around in my head as ways to earn some extra money.
    I have always been interested in working on firearms and wondered if I would be any good at it. I found this website earlier today, Get Your GUNSMITH License TODAY! , and was wondering if anybody on here has heard anything good or bad about them, albeit from friends or yourself. They seem to be legit but it is just a website with so called graduate testimonials so I don't know.
    Kinda don't want to waste money on a scam or something like that so any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I don't know if it's real or a scam. It looks cool, and if it's legit, it's one heck of a deal. I've always toyed with the idea of gunsmithing, and something like this is definitely affordable.

I am also intrigued...I just read their entire website and come away thinking either it's a heck of a deal, or you get what you pay for...it's only 150 bucks for the master course...and the ability to get your FFL and buy wholesale would more than pay for it if it's legit.

Edited to add: I kept reading and I am now having even more second thoughts(third, fourth and fifth thoughts, aslo). The gunsmithing was pretty vague, but when I looked at the 'professional reloader' license it started getting worse. None of the 'testimonials' have any details...i.e. state, name, references, or anything. And I am unaware of the need for a 'reloading license' to reload as it seems to imply.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I bookmarked the page. It's definitely worth going over with more time. I had been a member of the American Gunsmithing Association for several years. Some nice discounts over that period of time. I've always aspired to be a Glock certified armorer also.

1943 - 2009
    And I am unaware of the need for a 'reloading license' to reload as it seems to imply.
    To be a commercial reloader requires a Type 06 FFL.

I held one many years ago. Tubby45, a member of this forum, holds one now.

And don't forget the product liability insurance.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yeah I have read over this site many times and can't make heads or tails out of it. I'd only be out $100 if I decide to do it but I just don't like getting involved in something that is not legit. It's like those classified ads where you go around selling cheap knives to people. They want you to give them a bunch of money before you even make any.
    I guess I am going to try to find some people who might have done some of this though because if it is legit it is a pretty good deal.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

Can you say scam???
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I don't see how a $100 will make you a gunsmith ? Phoenix University is a
    well know correspondents college as they have advertisement on the net and magazines.I remember taking a marlin 60 to a gun smith for repairs and he
    told me what I needed to repaired was restricted which meant it had to go back to manufacturer for repair.He also encouraged me to junk it which I didn't Marlin repaired it at no costs! Something about signing your own diploma isn't right ?
    Last edited by Stetson; May 11th, 2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Can you say scam???
    In pig latin...am'sca...
    Same thing though...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would think long and hard before I bit on that one. Not because of the ease of a gunsmith license, but the FFL stuff. I held an FFL back between 1989-1993, and I promise you that the atmosphere for gun dealers (any dealers please feel free to chime in here) changed dramatically after Clinton 1 took office. I remember well the letter I got in the mail from the ATF requesting my presence in their office for my upcoming license renewal.

I was, during the meeting that followed, treated like a criminal, with every entry in my logbook scrutininzed and questioned. At one point the agent examining called in his boss and another agent, who sat on either side of me and questioned me with raised voices, accusing me of selling firearms and ammo wholesale to any Tom, Dick and Harry that came along. My only saving grace came when I identified most of the people in my logbook as LEO buddies I competed in IPSC with. The rest were IPSC buddies and co-workers I knew personally. At that points, I was assured that the next time I tried to renew my license, I would be "financially discouraged" from doing so. Sure enough, the price for renewal jumped from less than $100 ( it was $75 back then I think) to $1200 per year. That basically put everybody like me out of business overnight. But the most bothersome part of the whole deal was being treated like a criminal by the ATF, even when all of my paperwork was in order. It was only 1 month after that meeting that Waco happened. several of those agents were in on that raid, I heard.

So think long and hard before getting that FFL........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Links