Long guns in car...

This is a discussion on Long guns in car... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I live in Arkansas where it is legal to carry a loaded long gun in the passenger compartment of your vehicle. What I'd like ...

Thread: Long guns in car...

Long guns in car...

Hi, I live in Arkansas where it is legal to carry a loaded long gun in the passenger compartment of your vehicle. What I'd like to know is what are the laws in Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama regarding vehicle carry of long guns.

I know about ccw and pistols... but I was wondering about rifles and/or shotguns.

2. Remove Ads

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Hi, I live in Arkansas where it is legal to carry a loaded long gun in the passenger compartment of your vehicle.
    I guess I didn't even know that. Arkansas is Arkansas. If you have any questions, contact the ASP. IMO, if you get pulled over for that rifle in the rack in the back window of your pickup truck---don't be surprised at the taste of pavement. In my opinion, passenger vehicles have better storage places other than the "passenger compartment", and that's what I'm thinking for long guns-----you can't use them from your vehicle, and in many states, it would be construed as hunting illegally. In short--long guns have no business being loaded nor accessible in the passenger compartment of a vehicle unless you're on your 140 acre farm in Idaho and not on a public roadway.

By the way--happy to meet a fellow Arkie here.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I seems that Mississippi and Alabama may well be okay with it. Tennessee, however, may well be practicing a bit of prior restraint in assuming one is poaching or something.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I guess I didn't even know that. Arkansas is Arkansas. If you have any questions, contact the ASP. IMO, if you get pulled over for that rifle in the rack in the back window of your pickup truck---don't be surprised at the taste of pavement. In my opinion, passenger vehicles have better storage places other than the "passenger compartment", and that's what I'm thinking for long guns-----you can't use them from your vehicle, and in many states, it would be construed as hunting illegally. In short--long guns have no business being loaded nor accessible in the passenger compartment of a vehicle unless you're on your 140 acre farm in Idaho and not on a public roadway.

By the way--happy to meet a fellow Arkie here.
    You're a city boy, I surmise... :) Seems there has been a court decision on long guns in vehicles in Arkansas. It was originally under fish and game law, and we all know what kind of bozos they often are. In essence it is no longer proof of doing something illegal, so long guns are now okay to carry. I wouldn't take one into Walmart, though, the newbie yankee residents might have a fit.

BTW, what does having a place in Idaho have to do with this? I have 150+ acres here.

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    In short--long guns have no business being loaded nor accessible in the passenger compartment of a vehicle unless you're on your 140 acre farm in Idaho and not on a public roadway.
    I don't know, I think in some circumstances it's pretty handy to be able to exit my vehicle with an effective weapon in my hands that can punch through "cover", which is why I keep an AK handy.

Senior Moderator
    Seems there has been a court decision on long guns in vehicles in Arkansas. It was originally under fish and game law, and we all know what kind of bozos they often are. In essence it is no longer proof of doing something illegal, so long guns are now okay to carry. I wouldn't take one into Walmart, though, the newbie yankee residents might have a fi
    What decision are you referring too?

BTW... welcome to the board.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Indeed---please enlighten this country boy some more.
    You're a city boy, I surmise... :)
    You meant assumed didn't you? We all know how things like that can turn out....... I do have it made though----all my neighbors are cows!

Uh, that's not a cow, Ram Rod.

Senior Moderator
    Seems there has been a court decision on long guns in vehicles in Arkansas. It was originally under fish and game law, and we all know what kind of bozos they often are. In essence it is no longer proof of doing something illegal, so long guns are now okay to carry.
    Actually, they may or may not be. While the Game and Fish may not pop you for the simple act of carrying one in the forest on a Forest service or county road, there are still many local ordinances that prohibit carrying a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

Just because you get away with it where you are at, doesn't mean you might somewhere else down the road.

The last law that I know of that dealt with the AG&F was the law that was amended on Dec. 19th that allowed CHL holders to carry their handguns while duck hunting, turkey hunting or bow hunting. Until the law was amended, it was illegal to carry any center-fire weapon while in the act of hunting the above. Now you can.

I would still like a reference on the law that you say allows you to do so.I have looked in the usual places and cant find it. Can you point me in the right direction?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Question:
    Why would you want to transport a loaded long gun in your motor vehicle?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links