Springfield Model 187 Series A

This is a discussion on Springfield Model 187 Series A within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my uncle gave me a Springfield Model 187 .22 long rifle as a gift. I love the rifle. I use it to take care ...

Thread: Springfield Model 187 Series A

Springfield Model 187 Series A

So my uncle gave me a Springfield Model 187 .22 long rifle as a gift. I love the rifle. I use it to take care of skunks in my yard. When he gave it to me it the stock was kind of well really ugly and I didn't want to touch it. Well I was playing with it today and took it apart. Now I have a couple questions.

It was really dirty and looked like it had not been cleaned for a long time. What is the best way to clean a rifle like this? I have never cleaned a rifle at all before so please be nice.

Also the end of the rifle is pretty scratched up looks like it has a little bit of rust at the end. Nothing to serious but none the less it is rusting. What is the best way to take care of that? I kind of want to make it look newer.

I am thinking about sanding down the stock and painting it a cool color. Well cool for me kind of like a midnight blue. You should see it now it is like a fake leaf camouflage.

If you guys can give me some pointers that would be great thanks. I will try to post pics of everything tomorrow. If this is in the wrong forum I am sorry mods. Thanks again
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

Well, I don't know about that rifle, but generally with a rifle a lot of CLP (or solvent of your choice) and a stiff brush (an old toothbrush or whatever you use), scrub the heck out of everything, get all the carbon and other build up off of it. I tend to scrub pretty much everything that is metal on my rifles.

For the barrel get a set of cleaning rods, clean from breech to muzzle if possible, and try to avoid pulling anything the other way.

A good scrubbing with CLP or the like (careful not to remove the finish) will tend to get rid of the rust.

Hope that helps
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links