What Chicago airport cops carry

This is a discussion on What Chicago airport cops carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I was in line going through security at O'Hare, I was trying to see what the cops at the airport were carrying. Now mind ...

Thread: What Chicago airport cops carry

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

What Chicago airport cops carry

As I was in line going through security at O'Hare, I was trying to see what the cops at the airport were carrying. Now mind you, these were Chicago cops, probably in their late 40s to 50s, but all of them were carrying revolvers.

I guess I find that interesting in these days where semi-autos appear (and I can be wrong) to be the firearm of choice for LEOs.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

When I came back from Europe through the Portland Oregon airport there was an officer - county sheriff I think - with what looked like a 6" S&W 686 on his side. Big hat, too.

In Germany the airport was patrolled by pairs of soldiers with MP5s. Somewhat a different atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    In Germany the airport was patrolled by pairs of soldiers with MP5s. Somewhat a different atmosphere.
    On a flight I once took from San Francisco to Taipei, the flight was delayed in Seoul for the better part of a day. We were herded into a remote section of the international wing and continuously guarded by roving bands of women carrying what looked to be MP5's. The men did the pat-downs, kept us segregated from the other flights' passengers and ensured we were comfortable. Of them all, the "meanest-looking" of the bunch were dozen-plus ~5'1" women with MP5's in BDU's, fully laden with spare mags and other weapons. To say the least, for someone who doesn't travel all that often, that was quite a sight.

That compares to a small-town, two-strip muni airport I know of at which the lone guy who pulled airport duty was asleep in his camo HMMWV for a few hours. Got to love a small town.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    As I was in line going through security at O'Hare, I was trying to see what the cops at the airport were carrying. Now mind you, these were Chicago cops, probably in their late 40s to 50s, but all of them were carrying revolvers.

I guess I find that interesting in these days where semi-autos appear (and I can be wrong) to be the firearm of choice for LEOs.
    The good old wheelie is still popular with private contracted police agencies, I'm willing to bet this is who you saw.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was in the newark airport and some of the security outside the checkpoint had AR's or M16's I don't know which one but ya that was interesting seeing an airport guarded that much *jaw drops* but ya.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post

They don't need the higher capacity of semi-autos - handguns are banned in Chicago!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Chicago cops can be "Grandfathered" and carry a Revolver if they were carrying it before the switch to Autoloaders.

The cops the OP saw in Chicago were in fact CPD and not doing a "private gig". The have a regular post at the Airport, both O'Hare and Midway. From what I've been told, it's good duty and only the oldtimers with enough time on the job can get it.

If you look close I'm willing to be that there isn't one Airport Cop carrying a Revolver that is under the age of fifty, and most are pushing 60. The last time I went through O'Hare I got a warm and fuzzy feeling seeing those oldtimers with their "trusty rusty" 6-Shooters.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    In my younger days I worked on a ship and got to travel to Europe while getting paid. I was really surprised to see the LEO types with machine guns, having never witnessed anything like that back home. In places like Italy and Spain they have strict gun control laws, but the government has guys standing all over the streets with machine guns. And they're not always that friendly. It was scary in an Orwellian sense.

Now if you've been to NYC since 9-11, another place where they have really strict gun control laws, you will see police and military on the streets armed with machine guns. And that too is a bit scary.

PS. As a word of advice, don't walk up to the Carabenieri and ask them about their guns. Been there, done that.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I know a few "motor jockeys" on the Dallas Police Dept that still carry wheel guns.

Links