Hunting Rifle

This is a discussion on Hunting Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone out there have some guidance on how to get started choosing a hunting rifle? I live in Texas and deer will be the largest ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rifle

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Hunting Rifle

Anyone out there have some guidance on how to get started choosing a hunting rifle? I live in Texas and deer will be the largest game I will be shooting anytime soon.

I would like a caliber that is similar to the 9mm in attributes: easy to shoot but a well-placed shot does the trick.

I have been checking out the .270 cartridge but have yet to shoot one.

2. Remove Ads

Well, if deer is the biggest you plan on shooting, the other factor is really how far your shots will most likely be. If more close up (Like under 200m) you could go with the perennial favorite, a "thuddy-thuddy" (.30-30) lever action.

Any other requirements for you, are looking specifically for a bolt action, or other type of action, plan on using optics or irons?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I would go with a 30.06. Which might be over kill but you could use in on hogs also. Shoots flat and as your hunting takes you to other states; your good to go. Besides makes a excellent sniper rifle unless you have a 308.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I would a bolt action. I have shot a 30-06 and had fun doing so. I just want to make sure that whatever I buy is fun to shoot. I find that when it's not fun, I don't use it.

Regarding the distance, I will be shooting over relatively long distances. In Texas, the land is flat and shots can be two football fields or more.

The Texas deer I remember were pretty small, compared to what I see up here. 30.06 will do long range pretty well, but I believe .308 is a bit more affordable and should do just fine on Texas deer. There is always the remington 700 or winchester 70. Both have seen service as sniper rifles so they'll do fine and reliable for long range.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

For Texas Deer: 22-250 (No offense, but deer ain't that big in TX)
    For Arizona Elk: 270 (little light but can work)
    For Buffalo: 45-70 (Traditionalist)
    For ANY game animal in North America: 30-06

Those are MY preferences.

You are already looking at a .270, and I think it would be a good choice in your situation. I do however suggest that you get a 30-06 in case you ever get to hunt something else, see my reference about the 30-06 above.

If you ever get into reloading I think the 30.06 is one of the most versatile rounds, ever.

You can't really go wrong with a 30.06 or a 30-30.

A sporterized old military 30.06 can be had a good price, and you get a piece of history to boot. I wouldn't trade my winchester 30-30 or either of my 30.06's for anything.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

If you're looking for a general purpose rifle you can't go wrong with either a 30-06 or a .270, both are great all around hunting rifles. If you plan on a lot of brush hunting a 30-30 is also a good choice.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

A Ruger model 77 in .308 is a good place to start. A Savage 110 in .308 would be good as well. Both are resonably priced and fairly accurate.

I prefer Lever Actions for most of my hunting here in the Pacific Northwest due to visual limitations caused by the mountains and trees. I have a Ruger 77 for when I hunt on the east side where it is flatter.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    call me a broken record, 30.06 is a great all around round, you can get light loads for really flat shooting small to mid sized varmints. and if you ever decide to go bigger, it's just a new box of ammo and some time at the range.

That said, a 270 is a fine round also, and not to be discounted. Just like picking out your carry gun, there is no "one" gun, it's all a give and take.

Or just break down and get both, of course it's easy for us to spend your money.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    GO TO A SHOP AND FIND ONE THAT FEELS GOOD! Any major caliber will do on deer size game .243, 257 roberts, 25-06, 260, 6.5x55 mauser,7x57 mauser,7mm-08, 270, 280, 7mm rem mag, 308, 30-06sp. All of these rounds will kill any deer sized animal, and most of them would be good for elk if you ever want to go that rout. I personally don't like .243 but allot of people do, I think it's a little light for deer.

Point is if you don't know already what you like go to a gun shop (not wallymart). Mokey around with about 10 diferent brands and decide which you like best. Things to look for: safety type and position, magazine type (blind or detachable), wood or composite stock, barrel length and over all size of rifle.

Almost any rifle from Rem., Ruger, Browning, Savage, Winchester, Howa, Weatherby, Kimber, or Marlin will shoot good out of the box and last you a lifetime. I personally like Rem. and Browning. Just pick one that feels good in any major caliber.
    Last edited by atctimmy; May 12th, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sp
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I usually don't recommend a 270 for the first or only rifle because if its size. As others have said, for your first and maybe only rifle I highly suggest the 30.06 or .308. Size, distance, availability and versatility of ammo are most of the reasons.

Don't get me wrong a 270 is a very nice round and I have recommended it for people who already have a rifle or two. OMO
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    I'd go with a 30-06. Can get anything from a 22 saboted bullet reaching out at around 4000 fps up to a 220 gr round nose that will take down most any North American big game.

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    call me a broken record, 30.06 is a great all around round, you can get light loads for really flat shooting small to mid sized varmints.
    Wouldn't a 30-06 explode a coyote like an IED?

VIP Member
    Not with light bullets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links