Ruger .22 Rusty Mags

This is a discussion on Ruger .22 Rusty Mags within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I purchased a Ruger 22/45 .22 plinker a few months ago and I noticed this weekend that both of the mags are now developing some ...

Thread: Ruger .22 Rusty Mags

Ruger .22 Rusty Mags

I purchased a Ruger 22/45 .22 plinker a few months ago and I noticed this weekend that both of the mags are now developing some rust, more so on one of them. It has made inserting my .22 speedloader difficult.

I clean and lube my firearms regularly and this is the first time I have seen rust on any part of any of my handguns. Any tips on how to remove the rust and should I re-coat or re-blue them? Do you think Ruger will replace them if I call?

2. Remove Ads

The easiest solution is to disassemble them and immerse them in Marvel Mystery Oil (or Kroil) and let them sit overnight. Take out, and rub down vigorously. Surface rust will generally disappear with this treatment. If its a bit more "extreme," a light rub with steel wool should do the trick.

If you're going to refinish them, blast them and do Teflon/Moly, Duracoat, or Gunkote (my preference, in that order.) Bluing is a waste of time on a user-gun.

I would use some crocus cloth and see if that will remove some of the rust. Depends on if it's just surface rust or a little bit deeper than that. I think naval jelly might also work. Then I'd use some Shooter's Choice rust prevent, let them soak in it for a few days, wipe with a rag and do it all over again as many times as it takes. Brownell's has some interesting instructional videos including this one here: Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

Links