How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

This is a discussion on How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Probably should be covered in classes. I recall my instructor did brush over it, but it was very generic and those in the back of ...

View Poll Results: Would you have been willing to pay for a hands on, instructional first cleaning?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 37.38%
  • No

67 62.62%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

Probably should be covered in classes. I recall my instructor did brush over it, but it was very generic and those in the back of the class couldn't see squat. I'm thinking something specific to the buyers firearm and theres no replacement for a hands-on lesson, if one needs some learnin'.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I found gun cleaning to be one of the harder things to get good info on. Since then I have run across the cleaning How To entries on The Box o' Truth, and the SIG website has some very good maintenance videos in their customer support section.

Using a spray can of compressed air is the biggest thing I have learned to do after searching for more information.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

my grandpaw taught me how to care, clean and safely use all guns
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Learned to clean guns as a kid. Learned to clean guns real good in the Army. No further instruction needed for me.

As far as cleaning a firearm most new guns come with an instruction manual that book that guys throw on the table while they figure out how to work a gun,I learned to clean guns when I was a teenager and later in the military,I can not only fiels strip all my firearms but repair most things that can go wrong with them,if you feel you need to spend money to learn how to clean a gun then by all means go for it,but I'll bet if you ask somebody at the range for help they will show you for free,I know I would
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I sort of self-taught myself via the internet, manuals, etc. but it would have been much easier to learn if I could have spent a few bucks sitting down with someone and doing it. A revolver, Glock, and some semi-autos are fairly straight forward. But I just bought my first 1911 and have no idea how to take it apart to clean. Would I pay. In a heartbeat. I'll figure it out sometime.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I'm an engineer. I play well with mechanical and electrical gizmos. Never needed an instruction course. Let me play...if I can't figure it out I'll have the manual out and have it completely disassembled and reassembled in no time. Just about everything I have (firearms wise and some vehicles, tools, etc...) I've disassembled and reassembled for the sole purpose of learning how the darn things work. It's just the way I am. No course for simple disassembly and maintenance needed. Now, an armorers course....that's a different story all together.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I sort of self-taught myself via the internet, manuals, etc. but it would have been much easier to learn if I could have spent a few bucks sitting down with someone and doing it. A revolver, Glock, and some semi-autos are fairly straight forward. But I just bought my first 1911 and have no idea how to take it apart to clean. Would I pay. In a heartbeat. I'll figure it out sometime.
    I think Lima's got a good vid out there on youtube somewhere...

Oh wait...did I just throw her under the bus...oops sorry.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I got my "cleaning training" free, courtesy of Drill SGT Baez at Ft. Dix in 1976....
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I would pay, if it is specific to my gun (I own a Glock). Even if you learned how to clean it as kid/army wherever, I think its good to know the special details about the particular make or model you own. I think manufacturers could sponsor some of this via their website or as part of promos they run with gun stores.

When I say I would pay: Probably $20 or so. Not $75.

I love detail cleaning my firearms...always end up with parts left over....I figure it's parts I didn't need......right?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    I took a Glock maintenance class for $75. It was well worth it. Showed me how to break it down to parade rest and put it back together again....very informative....
    I didn't think Glocks needed maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    I got my "cleaning training" free, courtesy of Drill SGT Baez at Ft. Dix in 1976....
    Ahhh, Ft. Dix. Freezing winter, forced march to the range, shooting at deer on the berm, cleaning my M16. I hate flashbacks...

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I got paid to take a gun cleaning class. We call it Recruit Training.

I've seen 100 ways to clean a gun and have used a lot of them. Perhaps there is a market for a class such as, but I'm thinking that classes would be small.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    No because that skill set was taught to me at an early age and reinforced almost ad nauseum through the years.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links