How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

This is a discussion on How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, they should, however, show you how to field strip it if you ask....

View Poll Results: Would you have been willing to pay for a hands on, instructional first cleaning?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 37.38%
  • No

67 62.62%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

VIP Member
    No, they should, however, show you how to field strip it if you ask.

2. Remove Ads

Hey Reborn, I've got about 6 handguns, two M-4 style and a 12g defender that I am not sure how do clean. I will bring them all to the next CHL class for you to do a hands-on demo for me. Thanks in advance for the help.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I had a lot of cleaning time on a footlocker on Parris Island. I'm a armorer on several weapon platforms so it comes easy to me.

Quick tip - if you're unsure when breaking down your gun use a video camera as you do it, so you can reference what goes where.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My first carry was so many years ago that to vote today would skew your poll . Today i have a mill and a lathe and play with gun projects as a hobby .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Don't gunshops show the customer how to break down each individual weapon, clean, and reassemble?
    Don't need no stinkin' class...

Stay armed...clean your guns...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Voted yes. Hell, I'd even like to have a gun cleaning service...if the rates were reasonable...and I trusted somebody else with my guns

I'm self taught, it would be nice to know easier/better ways to clean...yes, I would pay for that.
    If you own a handgun and your state law allows it, please carry.

I gotta thank my Pops for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I sort of self-taught myself via the internet, manuals, etc. but it would have been much easier to learn if I could have spent a few bucks sitting down with someone and doing it. A revolver, Glock, and some semi-autos are fairly straight forward. But I just bought my first 1911 and have no idea how to take it apart to clean. Would I pay. In a heartbeat. I'll figure it out sometime.
    Pit, I just got my first one (1911) and I want to know it before I carried it . I was going to tighten it up a little so I ordered new springs, sear and took it apart. Will give every inch a good cleaning and between The members of this forum and the internet I can get it back together

I really didn't understand the trigger until you take it apart, Get a Brownells catalog!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I had never touched a gun prior to 2007. When I did, the nice guy who sold me my first, a Glock, was cool enough to show me how to break it down, and give me the scoop on oiling. I had to ask several people what to use to clean it, and how exactly to clean it, and each time, I got a different answer. I quickly figured out that some guys clean after every range trip, some guys don't, some guys simply run a boresnake through the barrel, and thats it. I got that every where I went, and no matter who I talked to. o after doing plenty of 'net research, I figured it out.

Being an ex mechanic, and a IT person, its really annoying there isn't more (in my area at least) instruction put into cleaning and oiling ones guns.

Would I pay for it now? probably not. depends entirely on what im buying at the time.

Nope. Too much information out there for free besides the manual that came with them or that you can obtain for free. USMC taught me the 1911 and M16, and everything else came from me caring for and becoming intimate with my firearms. I've also learned how to reload myself without any formal classes or training and still have all of my original body parts.

I voted "No" mainly because instruction manuals already has the instructions on how to take apart your designated firearm. And if you have any more questions, take it to your local, friendly gun shop and somebody there will give you some advice.

However, I believe Top Gun Range here in Houston has a course on firearms handling that includes how to take apart and clean your handgun.

Putting together a cleaning class would be kinda difficult. There are so many different types of handguns out there that the class would take hours to cover them all. How would a class be taught when you have glocks, xds, 1911s, Kahrs, etc.. all in the same class? Seems to me that a simple class on proper cleaning technique wouldn't be feasible.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Putting together a cleaning class would be kinda difficult. There are so many different types of handguns out there that the class would take hours to cover them all. How would a class be taught when you have glocks, xds, 1911s, Kahrs, etc.. all in the same class? Seems to me that a simple class on proper cleaning technique wouldn't be feasible.
    Maybe "class" was an inaccurate thing to call it. What I meant was: Buy a gun, and instead of a quick field strip demo (if that), for an extra $20 or so an shop employee sits with you and cleans and lubes it with you. It'd be optional, and take maybe 20-30 minutes. That's also an opportunity to sell the customer kits, solvents, cleaning mats, and any other extras you can pitch. Intended mostly for newbies.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Would, and did when I purchased my first pistol. Wilson Combat had a video at the time which covered the Browning Hi-Power and BDM. It covered all the basis very well, I thought.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I voted yes, but it would have to be specific to a gun I own. I have the basics down, field strip etc. It's the detail cleaning that I lack experience in. What to take apart every time and what NOT to take apart every time. Where and how much to oil etc. I know some of this is covered in the manuals but the description is very vague.

I've also found that the manuals don't always warn you of spring loaded parts. Many times I've spent some time looking for a part that disappeared on me while following the directions.

There are also a lot of techniques for putting things back together that are not covered in the manual. Little tricks or tools that make reassembly much easier.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links