How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class - Page 4

How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

This is a discussion on How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It would be nice if gun manufacturers would include a video on how to strip, clean, maintain and put it back together your gun with ...

View Poll Results: Would you have been willing to pay for a hands on, instructional first cleaning?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 37.38%
  • No

67 62.62%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

It would be nice if gun manufacturers would include a video on how to strip, clean, maintain and put it back together your gun with it. Optionally they can posti it on line. The basics are the same for each gun but it varies so that what applies for one may not for another. There are little tricks for each gun that the manual leaves out and causes problems expecially on new guns.

For instance on my Taurus PT-111:

1. Unload the #@$%^# thing.
    2. Lock the slide back
    3. Rotate the takedown pin
    4. Release the slide and let it move forward a hair then lock it back and the pin will pop out to a point it can easily be removed.
    5. Remove the takedown pin
    6. Release the slide, pulle the trigger and remove the slide.

I post this as the manual doesn't tell you about step 4. and as you break it in this step won't really be needed. Little things like this are waht drive people crazy. I saw a post by one person that was having all kinds of trouble with his because he didn't know to pull the trigger before removing the slide.

On some guns pulling the trigger will cause problems. Then there is the matter of over of under lubricating and whether to use grease or oil.

A class would be nice but the manufacturers need to do a better job with their instructions instead of including so much fine print like do not dry-fire Kel-Tec's.

Holdcard beat me by a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    I love detail cleaning my firearms...always end up with parts left over....I figure it's parts I didn't need......right?
    Way cool! Keep it up and you'll have enough "left over" parts to build another gun!
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    I love detail cleaning my firearms...always end up with parts left over....I figure it's parts I didn't need......right?
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    Way cool! Keep it up and you'll have enough "left over" parts to build another gun!
    Anyone with a P3AT knows that part 115 is not needed otherwise KT would have made some mention of it in the manual. I would venture to say that 1/4 of all P3AT's in existence don't have that part in them any more.

What's part 115?

No for me. I've always been a "RTFM" kind of guy. Been taking stuff apart and putting it back together since I was a kid. It drove my folks nuts, but I make a pretty decent living doing it now.

I do field service on tons of different systems. The "training" we get is a joke, and we work alone. If you can't figure it out on your own, you (and the customer) are SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    What's part 115?
    Part 115 is the extractor that falls out and is easily lost. You will either need to see a exploded drawing or an actual gun to see it because it is a very small part that just fits into a slot with nothing to keep it in. No one seems to know the real purpose of it but usually it is said to assist with ejecting the shell when the magazine is empty.

With it missing it usually causes no problems except sometimes the last round of a magazine will not be ejected properly. Or at least is my understanding.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Interesting that almost all of the comments are for the "nays," but almost half of the votes are for the "yays." Maybe they don't want to admit to being unsure of themselves?
    Guns need cleaning?

Sure, I would pay $20 for a half-hour of someone's time to clean my gun in front of me and then let me do it. I have a bad problem with not finishing my jobs, or thinking I'm done when I'm not. This would help.

It broke my heart when I put an "idiot mark" on my SS Kimber Ultra Carry II the first time I cleaned it. I had read the manual, online instructions, nearly memorized the exploded 1911 diagram and still managed to scar the finish. I remember thinking at the time that I wish I had someone to walk me through the process. I'm only glad it didn't happen with Kobra Carry!

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Part 115 is the extractor that falls out and is easily lost. You will either need to see a exploded drawing or an actual gun to see it because it is a very small part that just fits into a slot with nothing to keep it in. No one seems to know the real purpose of it but usually it is said to assist with ejecting the shell when the magazine is empty.

With it missing it usually causes no problems except sometimes the last round of a magazine will not be ejected properly. Or at least is my understanding.
    Yeah, thanks. I know the part. Another fellow and I tried our pistols without it and they mostly worked. Seems that they were slightly less reliable. Perhaps it was on that last shot that they failed to extract.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links