How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

This is a discussion on How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious why I don't see gun shops offering this. When I was new, I would have gladly paid for a one on one cleaning ...

View Poll Results: Would you have been willing to pay for a hands on, instructional first cleaning?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 37.38%
  • No

67 62.62%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

How many would/would've paid for a "How To Clean Your Gun" class

Just curious why I don't see gun shops offering this. When I was new, I would have gladly paid for a one on one cleaning instruction. Nothing fancy, just actually sit there and clean MY gun with me. Instead you either get just the book or an quick field strip demo. I find myself now helping all of my newbie shooter friends with theirs. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Anyway, if you chose yes on the poll how much would you have paid for this? Maybe some dealers will take a hint.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    The basics of handgun cleaning are done in all my concealed classes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    I probably wouldn't pay what they would need to charge for it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Nope, with the great (and sometimes not so great) videos on You-Tube and all of you guys here to help answer questions, I see no reason to pay anybody to walk me through it...

Now, if only I could pay somebody to search for springs that might be, well, anywhere.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

IMHO that's a service that any good gunshop should be willing to provide under the umbrella of general firearm education......especially as part of a firearm sale.

One more reason to support the knowledgeable pros at your local gunshop, rather than the clerks at Wally World et. al.

VIP Member
    I voted no. I grew up around guns, so I was taught when I was young about cleaning them. My kids learned about cleaning them before they were old enough to get them dirty.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I probably wouldn't pay what they would need to charge for it.
    Hmmm. I wouldn't think that it'd take more than 1/2 hour and cost more than $20 or so. Not thinking that it should make them rich, but just in the name of getting more business by being newbie friendly. Perhaps I'm delusional. God knows it wouldn't be the first time!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Nope, with the great (and sometimes not so great) videos on You-Tube and all of you guys here to help answer questions, I see no reason to pay anybody to walk me through it...

Now, if only I could pay somebody to search for springs that might be, well, anywhere.
    I got to get me a magnetic tray

ETA: Just rub the dirty parts with the good stuff....
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Wink

Gotta say no on this one.
    Uncle Sam taught me many years ago....LOL
    ron

I took a Glock maintenance class for $75. It was well worth it. Showed me how to break it down to parade rest and put it back together again....very informative....

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    No. Maybe because I was trained as an engineer and thus things that are mechanical come as second nature to me?

Many guns are different and thus "one size fits all" training won't work.

I learned by reading the manuals that came with the guns (long before the Internet info became available). Today, that plus the various info you can find online make paying someone for training unnecessary in my eyes.

I did watch the president of L&R clean guns in ultrasonic tanks (that none of us could afford . . . he was using the commercial ones that will hold a rifle and probably 10 gal of cleaner), but I couldn't really take away any real knowledge from watching that happen.

At the end of a Second Amendment Sisters session I had a lady ask me to show her how to clean her S&W CS9. I had never touched one of these models, but it was easy for me to clean it and show her what I did. Problem was that she had paid someone to do the same thing for her previously (and she offered me money, I refused and told her to learn how and teach others . . . that was the best payment she could make).

Many people do NOT learn by watching others, but need to do it themselves. I took that approach in teaching (one-on-one) some clients about computer skills years ago (I printed out a script for them to follow, then let them do it under my watchful eye). That's the ideal way to teach, in my mind, but won't work when someone springs an on-the-spot request on you as was done to me above.

Belonging to private clubs ever since I got into shooting, if I had/have a question and someone else (experienced) is around, I go to them for help. Likewise I pass it along if a newbie has questions. I never accept money for doing this, just tell them to learn and pass it along to others. Keeping the knowledge flowing is the best payback.

That's my 25-cents worth (2-cents won't buy you a breath of air anymore ).

Interesting that almost all of the comments are for the "nays," but almost half of the votes are for the "yays." Maybe they don't want to admit to being unsure of themselves?

I answered no, because the shop I buy from teaches you to field strip and advises on how to clean your weapon unless you tell them you don't need the advice.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Yes.

There was no such thing as YouTube prior to 4 yrs. ago and not everyone comes from a gun tradition household or has had access to military training.
    Further as noted by others this _should_ be covered in either basic firearms training classes and/or that toward a handgun permit but across three such classes I've taken in years past it was on the syllabus for just one and in that class it was skipped. This should also be covered in Basic Hunter Education too but in MA where I took mine it is not.

IMHO knowing how to properly and generally clean as well as maintain a firearm is just as important as knowing how to handle and discharge it.
    If I were to teach a firearms basics and safety course or were a gun shop I would include as much in my coursework or as a shop offer such a class for a nominal dollar amount to my customers who are newbies.

- Janq learned via books at the library
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    - Janq learned via books at the library
    Them Evil books!!! Teaching you to defend yourself!!
    Ban books..Wait we tried that one already
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links