Old Unused Guns

Old Unused Guns

This is a discussion on Old Unused Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, I need your help... My grandfather died about 12 years ago, when I was 12. I inherited some guns from him. I lived ...

Thread: Old Unused Guns

Old Unused Guns

Hello all, I need your help...

My grandfather died about 12 years ago, when I was 12. I inherited some guns from him. I lived in the People's Republic of Kalifornia at the time. Currently I do not have possession of the guns. In short we need to wait till my step-grandmother dies before the guns can leave the state...something about the Trust...don't ask...(guns are currently safe under my parents bed). In the last 12 years, the guns have NOT been fired. I am going to the parents house this weekend for my sisters graduation.

I was intending to have Sunday morning be gun cleaning day...

Here is the inventory I remember:

* Browning 30-06 bolt action rifle, with scope
    * Browning 12 gauge, the barrel breaks off for storage
    * German Lugar (not sure on size/caliber)
    *Another gun, I think it is German, I think it is a Mauser???, clip (not magazine) top fed, it is stored in a small wood case which can be clipped on to the back end (to make it a mini rifle?)

Is it even necessary for me to break down the guns, clean and oil them? Or should I just leave them where they have been for the last 12 years? They will probably be in my possession in the next 24 months as my step-grandmother is 94 years old and has very late stage Alzheimer's.

Help me out...

VIP Member
    *Another gun, I think it is German, I think it is a Mauser???, clip (not magazine) top fed, it is stored in a small wood case which can be clipped on to the back end (to make it a mini rifle?)
    That sounds like a model 1896 Broomhandle here is some info on it. The Mauser model 1896 Broomhandle

As far as the others just inspect and clean as necessary paying particular attention to looking for rust, and just a light coat of oil.

If it is a model 1896 be very, very careful if you field-strip it, I do not remember which part it is but if reversed the gun will go back together but it will lockup and cannot be dissembled again without a special tool.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; May 14th, 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Additional info

msgt/ret

Yes that's it!!!! Thanks!!!

With Lugers increasing in value like they are, and possibly the Broomhandle Mauser, I would be more concerned with preservation without unnecessary field stripping. Wipe down and lube to prevent corrosion, but don't take them apart until you get them in your possesion and find out exactly what you have. In this day and age, some very interesting and significant historical pieces are being brought out of closets, attics, etc and passed down to people who have no interest in history or firearms. Hats off to you for educating yourself. I would take pictures of them and make notes of any markings, so you can start your research and find out what you have. Congratulations.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cofaler View Post
    With Lugers increasing in value like they are, and possibly the Broomhandle Mauser, I would be more concerned with preservation without unnecessary field stripping. Wipe down and lube to prevent corrosion, but don't take them apart until you get them in your possesion and find out exactly what you have. In this day and age, some very interesting and significant historical pieces are being brought out of closets, attics, etc and passed down to people who have no interest in history or firearms. Hats off to you for educating yourself. I would take pictures of them and make notes of any markings, so you can start your research and find out what you have. Congratulations.
    +1000!!! You likely have a wonderful, desirable Luger and wonderful, desirable Mauser...or you may have an incredibly valuable Luger and/or Mauser. Congratulations indeed!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Whoa, thats remarkable

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I would definitely wipe them down, but, as was suggested, don't break them down until you know exactly what they are. If they've lasted this long, a little while longer isn't going to ruin them.

I've always wondered about those C96's with the holster/stock. Would those be considered short-barreled rifles, and therefore NFA items?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Moderator
    I've always wondered about those C96's with the holster/stock. Would those be considered short-barreled rifles, and therefore NFA items?
    Should be pre existing. Curio's and relics are exempt.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Should be pre existing. Curio's and relics are exempt.
    This is from the BATFE removing the C96 and shoulder stock from the NFA and listing them as antiques.

Firearms Curios or Relics List

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Cool. Thx for the info.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Sponsored Links